RE: [SCA-Archery] Veteran's day

  • Frederick Fenters
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 11, 2008
      Thank you for the kind words and reminder of the reason for the holiday.
      Both my Maternal and Paternal grandfathers enlisted for WWI. My father and
      stepfather were both Korean War veterans, 4 of 7 uncles served in the armed
      forces, and 2 of my male cousins and I have all served or are serving. Each
      of us is at least a third generation veteran.

      I met a young man while in line to renew my license plate tabs who was
      walking with obvious difficulty, using 2 canes. I noticed his t-shirt,
      which mentioned a Military Police unit and asked if he had been injured
      "Over There." He told me that he had been wounded by an improvised landmine
      and that the doctors had expected him to be wheelchair bound. "I have
      proved them wrong so far and will keep on going," he said. I thanked him
      for his service and received the response that I usually receive from our
      young warriors: "No Problem!"

      Grandpa taught me many things, respect for the symbols of our Nation being
      high among them. He passed from the Earth some 40 years ago, but his
      lessons are still with me. I hope that I am passing them along to my sons
      as well.

      My thanks to all my brothers in arms, past, present and future. God Bless
      us, one and all!

      Frederick Fenters, formerly SP4, USARMY (1974-1977)

      Padraig MacRaighne

      _____