Veteran's day

  • Carolus
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 11, 2008
      To those who may get this more than once, my apologies, I want as
      many as possible to see this.

      In France at 11 Am local time on this day 97 years ago the guns of
      August finally fell silent, My grandfather's brother was there, but
      we will never know where for he was in a shell hole when an enemy
      shell also arrived. All I will ever know of him is a photo and a
      Purple Heart. I pause each year at this time to remember not only
      those who passed, but those who lived through that hell and all the
      other small hells of battle. I also think carefully on those still
      serving and how much I owe to them. If you are one of those who
      served, THANK YOU. If you are still serving, be safe, come home, and
      know if I see you in uniform I will say thank you again.

      Happy Veteran's day seems rather a silly phrase, but I hope it does
      mean that our thoughts and prayers will mean that there are happy veterans.
      Carolus
    • Frederick Fenters
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 11, 2008
        Thank you for the kind words and reminder of the reason for the holiday.
        Both my Maternal and Paternal grandfathers enlisted for WWI. My father and
        stepfather were both Korean War veterans, 4 of 7 uncles served in the armed
        forces, and 2 of my male cousins and I have all served or are serving. Each
        of us is at least a third generation veteran.

        I met a young man while in line to renew my license plate tabs who was
        walking with obvious difficulty, using 2 canes. I noticed his t-shirt,
        which mentioned a Military Police unit and asked if he had been injured
        "Over There." He told me that he had been wounded by an improvised landmine
        and that the doctors had expected him to be wheelchair bound. "I have
        proved them wrong so far and will keep on going," he said. I thanked him
        for his service and received the response that I usually receive from our
        young warriors: "No Problem!"

        Grandpa taught me many things, respect for the symbols of our Nation being
        high among them. He passed from the Earth some 40 years ago, but his
        lessons are still with me. I hope that I am passing them along to my sons
        as well.

        My thanks to all my brothers in arms, past, present and future. God Bless
        us, one and all!

        Frederick Fenters, formerly SP4, USARMY (1974-1977)

        Padraig MacRaighne

        _____