GWW archery

  • John edgerton
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 8, 2008
      At GWW on Saturday there are "Grand Masters" competitions listed.
      What do these consist of and are they for Grand Master archers only?

      Jon
    • Arthen ap Rhun
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 8, 2008
        Is a Grand Master the same as a Grand Bowmaster in Artemisia (3 RR Scores
        100 - 120)?

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 8, 2008
          I noticed that the web site for GWW says that:

          "Target Archery conventions will follow Caidan Rules. See the Caidan
          Marshallate Publications.

          Authorizations will be available during all Class/practice sessions."

          Does this mean that archers from other kingdoms will have to
          authorize to Caidian standards before they can take part in the
          competitions?

          Jon
        • Jessica E Baas
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 8, 2008
            The Grand Masters tournament is open to all archers. It began as a tournament put on by the top ranked archers to invite all others to compete in an endurance test of strength and skill. It is a double elimination royal round tournament that often goes 9-11 rounds by the end of the day. It begins promptly at 9am with first round challenges. Lists will be open Thursday and Friday and for 30 minutes Saturday morning.

            Also not to miss at GWW this year:
            For the second year, a night clout will be held! Come out to range at sundown Friday evening (bring a lantern/flashlight) for a very challenging shoot! Distance is most difficult to judge in the darkness.

            Also...regarding authorizations...
            Typically at GWW we do ascribe to home Kingdom standards for those that live out of Kingdom. Those that live in Caid and are not authorized must do so in order to compete, but if you live out of Kingdom, you will not have to complete the entire authorization. You may be asked to do a short inspection/practice round to show you know what you're doing. Of course, you are more than welcome to complete the whole authorization if you would like to get that Caidan experience.

            Unfortunately, I will not be in attendance this year due to injury, but I trust my deputies will serve well (they're already on-site).

            Christina
            Minister of Archers, Caid

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 8, 2008
              Thank you for the information.

              Are there any restrictions for crossbows in any of the competitions?

              Jon

              On Oct 8, 2008, at 12:31 PM, Jessica E Baas wrote:

              > The Grand Masters tournament is open to all archers. It began as a
              > tournament put on by the top ranked archers to invite all others to
              > compete in an endurance test of strength and skill. It is a double
              > elimination royal round tournament that often goes 9-11 rounds by
              > the end of the day. It begins promptly at 9am with first round
              > challenges. Lists will be open Thursday and Friday and for 30
              > minutes Saturday morning.
              >
              > Also not to miss at GWW this year:
              > For the second year, a night clout will be held! Come out to range
              > at sundown Friday evening (bring a lantern/flashlight) for a very
              > challenging shoot! Distance is most difficult to judge in the
              > darkness.
              >
              > Also...regarding authorizations...
              > Typically at GWW we do ascribe to home Kingdom standards for those
              > that live out of Kingdom. Those that live in Caid and are not
              > authorized must do so in order to compete, but if you live out of
              > Kingdom, you will not have to complete the entire authorization.
              > You may be asked to do a short inspection/practice round to show
              > you know what you're doing. Of course, you are more than welcome to
              > complete the whole authorization if you would like to get that
              > Caidan experience.
              >
              > Unfortunately, I will not be in attendance this year due to injury,
              > but I trust my deputies will serve well (they're already on-site).
              >
              > Christina
              > Minister of Archers, Caid

            • Jessica E Baas
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 8, 2008
                I have two deputies on GWW staff that handled all the details and
                planning. Unfortunately, they're already on-site so they can't answer
                questions. I'm not sure if they were brining in an extra backstop for crossbows (since hay won't cut it). We don't have a lot of crossbow competitors in Caid, largely in part because they are illegal in a number of cities and are not allowed at a lot of the ranges we hold events at most often. I cannot remember anyone competing at GWW with a crossbow since I began attending (GWW IV, this is XI), that doesn't mean it hasn't happened though! Just that I can't remember.

                In Caid, crossbows are a separate division and compete separately from handbows.

                Christina

                Are there any restrictions for crossbows in any of the competitions?

                Jon

                On Oct 8, 2008, at 12:31 PM, Jessica E Baas wrote:

                > The Grand Masters tournament is open to all archers. It began as a
                > tournament put on by the top ranked archers to invite all others to
                > compete in an endurance test of strength and skill. It is a double
                > elimination royal round tournament that often goes 9-11 rounds by
                > the end of the day. It begins promptly at 9am with first round
                > challenges. Lists will be open Thursday and Friday and for 30
                > minutes Saturday morning.
                >
                > Also not to miss at GWW this year:
                > For the second year, a night clout will be held! Come out to range
                > at sundown Friday evening (bring a lantern/flashlight) for a very
                > challenging shoot! Distance is most difficult to judge in the
                > darkness.
                >
                > Also...regarding authorizations. ..
                > Typically at GWW we do ascribe to home Kingdom standards for those
                > that live out of Kingdom. Those that live in Caid and are not
                > authorized must do so in order to compete, but if you live out of
                > Kingdom, you will not have to complete the entire authorization.
                > You may be asked to do a short inspection/practice round to show
                > you know what you're doing. Of course, you are more than welcome to
                > complete the whole authorization if you would like to get that
                > Caidan experience.
                >
                > Unfortunately, I will not be in attendance this year due to injury,
                > but I trust my deputies will serve well (they're already on-site).
                >
                > Christina
                > Minister of Archers, Caid

              • John edgerton
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 8, 2008
                  So it may be possible that anyone showing up with a crossbow may not
                  be able shoot. My crossbow bolts go through hay bales.

                  O well, up to now, it looked like I was going to have a great time
                  shooting for three days.

                  Thank you for the information.

                  Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, West