Re: flaming arrow ASAP

  • Adrian
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
      > Heck, if you're gonna do that, why not use magnesium :) If you
      > can get it lit, you wouldn't be able to blow it out regardless....
      > Certainly would make for an impressive flame :)

      I would agree with the magnesium.

      My suggestion: a strip from a white terrycloth towel soaked in either
      a) outdoor lamp oil, b) a 50/50 combination of lamp oil and lighter
      fluid, or c) Coleman camp fuel; wrap the terrycloth strip onto the
      arrow shaft with wire. The arrow would be point-heavy, though.
    • jameswolfden
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 3, 2008
        If you mean these ones,

        Archery/photos/album/965722480/pic/2050126555/view?
        picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc

        They are Chinese whistling fire arrows from Stephen Selby's display
        in Hong Kong. They are made of iron not clay. Oil and pitch soaked
        cloth would be wrapped above the barbs in the arrow. The barbs would
        prevent the flaming material from sliding back down the shaft on
        release.

        Here is a write up on whistling arrows from the ATARN site that also
        includes a bit on the fire arrows.

        http://www.atarn.org/chinese/whistle/whistle.htm

        In Service,
        James Wolfden

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "arturdubh" <nasionnaich@...>
        wrote:

        > Dave;
        >
        > There is a picture of some specially-made arrow heads, for use
        > with "flame arrows", in the "Photos" section of the group; for
        some
        > reason I can't connect to the page right now, probably yet
        > another "Yahoo! glitch"... Anyway, they seem to be made of clay,
        with
        > a cavity similar to that of a whstling arrow, designed to break
        open
        > on impact. Perhaps the flammable material was shoved inside,
        soaked
        > with naptha (or any other substance such as kerosene), lit and
        sent
        > on its way.
        >
        > In any case, they look to be extremely efficient.
        >
        > --Artúr
        >

        > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <gargoyle1058@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I need any and all info that you may have on ways to make a
        > workable flaming arrow ASAP modern or otherwise for use in any
        type
        > of bow including crossbows. This is not for a SCA project. Thank
        > you, Gar

      • DavidP005
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 3, 2008
          I use a mixture of saltpetre, as I also make my own slow matches for
          my matchlock rifle, Pine Tar and boild linseed oil in my flaming
          arrows. I actually use the linseed oil to cut the Pine Tar to soak a
          piece of cloth that I bind to the arrow. I've found the saltpetre
          helps keep the mixture going in flight.

          Tex

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, 'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder

          NCID=emlcntuswall00000001>http://www.walletpop.com/?
          NCID=emlcntuswall00000001)

          > --
          >
          > // Merry
          >
          > ----------
          > "Merry" Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre AoA:071013 Torse:080906
          > Shire of Standing Stones; Formerly: Philippe Sebastian LeLutre
          > Christian M. Cepel --- 573.999.2370 --- Columbia, MO
          > http://Thistledowne.org/ http://ShireOfStandingStones.org/
          > ICQ:12384980 YIM/AOL:Bramblethorne MSN:Merry@ShireOfS.....
          >
          > 'Toirdhealbhach' anglicized Tirloughe (1576), modernly 'Turlough',
          > pronounced 'TIR' or 'TUR' + 'low', 'logh', 'lock', or 'loch'

        • arturdubh
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 3, 2008
            Well, a person can, indeed, learn something new every day if they
            aren't careful. :-)

            Thanks for the correction -- and for providing it without being
            condescending. It is difficult to discern exactly what something is
            made of in a grainy/blurry picture. I freely admit that I was
            guessing they were made of clay....and clay would, of course, tend to
            break on impact.

            Say, that does give one an idea. How about some "experimental
            archaeology"?

            --Artúr

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "jameswolfden" <jameswolfden@...>
            wrote:

            > If you mean these ones,

            > Archery/photos/album/965722480/pic/2050126555/view?
            > picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc
            >
            > They are Chinese whistling fire arrows from Stephen Selby's display
            > in Hong Kong. They are made of iron not clay. Oil and pitch soaked
            > cloth would be wrapped above the barbs in the arrow. The barbs
            would
            > prevent the flaming material from sliding back down the shaft on
            > release.
            >
            > Here is a write up on whistling arrows from the ATARN site that
            also
            > includes a bit on the fire arrows.
            >
            > http://www.atarn.org/chinese/whistle/whistle.htm
            >

            > In Service,
            > James Wolfden
            >
            > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "arturdubh" <nasionnaich@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Dave;
            > >
            > > There is a picture of some specially-made arrow heads, for use
            > > with "flame arrows", in the "Photos" section of the group; for
            > some
            > > reason I can't connect to the page right now, probably yet
            > > another "Yahoo! glitch"... Anyway, they seem to be made of clay,
            > with
            > > a cavity similar to that of a whstling arrow, designed to break
            > open
            > > on impact. Perhaps the flammable material was shoved inside,
            > soaked
            > > with naptha (or any other substance such as kerosene), lit and
            > sent
            > > on its way.
            > >
            > > In any case, they look to be extremely efficient.
            > >
            > > --Artúr
            > >

            > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <gargoyle1058@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I need any and all info that you may have on ways to make a
            > > workable flaming arrow ASAP modern or otherwise for use in any
            > type
            > > of bow including crossbows. This is not for a SCA project. Thank
            > > you, Gar

          • Andrew
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 4, 2008
              I posted a picture of a "cage Fire Arrowhead" in the Miscellaneous
              folder in the photo section.... perhaps that might give you an Idea