Re: flaming arrow ASAP

  • Adrian
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
      > Heck, if you're gonna do that, why not use magnesium :) If you
      > can get it lit, you wouldn't be able to blow it out regardless....
      > Certainly would make for an impressive flame :)

      I would agree with the magnesium.

      My suggestion: a strip from a white terrycloth towel soaked in either
      a) outdoor lamp oil, b) a 50/50 combination of lamp oil and lighter
      fluid, or c) Coleman camp fuel; wrap the terrycloth strip onto the
      arrow shaft with wire. The arrow would be point-heavy, though.
    • arturdubh
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
        Dave;

        There is a picture of some specially-made arrow heads, for use
        with "flame arrows", in the "Photos" section of the group; for some
        reason I can't connect to the page right now, probably yet
        another "Yahoo! glitch"... Anyway, they seem to be made of clay, with
        a cavity similar to that of a whstling arrow, designed to break open
        on impact. Perhaps the flammable material was shoved inside, soaked
        with naptha (or any other substance such as kerosene), lit and sent
        on its way.

        In any case, they look to be extremely efficient.

        --Artúr

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <gargoyle1058@...> wrote:

        > I need any and all info that you may have on ways to make a
        workable flaming arrow ASAP modern or otherwise for use in any type
        of bow including crossbows. This is not for a SCA project. Thank
        you, Gar

      • jameswolfden
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 3, 2008
          If you mean these ones,

          Archery/photos/album/965722480/pic/2050126555/view?
          picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc

          They are Chinese whistling fire arrows from Stephen Selby's display
          in Hong Kong. They are made of iron not clay. Oil and pitch soaked
          cloth would be wrapped above the barbs in the arrow. The barbs would
          prevent the flaming material from sliding back down the shaft on
          release.

          Here is a write up on whistling arrows from the ATARN site that also
          includes a bit on the fire arrows.

          http://www.atarn.org/chinese/whistle/whistle.htm

          In Service,
          James Wolfden

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "arturdubh" <nasionnaich@...>
          wrote:

          > Dave;
          >
          > There is a picture of some specially-made arrow heads, for use
          > with "flame arrows", in the "Photos" section of the group; for
          some
          > reason I can't connect to the page right now, probably yet
          > another "Yahoo! glitch"... Anyway, they seem to be made of clay,
          with
          > a cavity similar to that of a whstling arrow, designed to break
          open
          > on impact. Perhaps the flammable material was shoved inside,
          soaked
          > with naptha (or any other substance such as kerosene), lit and
          sent
          > on its way.
          >
          > In any case, they look to be extremely efficient.
          >
          > --Artúr
          >

          > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <gargoyle1058@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I need any and all info that you may have on ways to make a
          > workable flaming arrow ASAP modern or otherwise for use in any
          type
          > of bow including crossbows. This is not for a SCA project. Thank
          > you, Gar

        • DavidP005
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 3, 2008
            I use a mixture of saltpetre, as I also make my own slow matches for
            my matchlock rifle, Pine Tar and boild linseed oil in my flaming
            arrows. I actually use the linseed oil to cut the Pine Tar to soak a
            piece of cloth that I bind to the arrow. I've found the saltpetre
            helps keep the mixture going in flight.

            Tex

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, 'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder

            NCID=emlcntuswall00000001>http://www.walletpop.com/?
            NCID=emlcntuswall00000001)

            > --
            >
            > // Merry
            >
            > ----------
            > "Merry" Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre AoA:071013 Torse:080906
            > Shire of Standing Stones; Formerly: Philippe Sebastian LeLutre
            > Christian M. Cepel --- 573.999.2370 --- Columbia, MO
            > http://Thistledowne.org/ http://ShireOfStandingStones.org/
            > ICQ:12384980 YIM/AOL:Bramblethorne MSN:Merry@ShireOfS.....
            >
            > 'Toirdhealbhach' anglicized Tirloughe (1576), modernly 'Turlough',
            > pronounced 'TIR' or 'TUR' + 'low', 'logh', 'lock', or 'loch'

          • arturdubh
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 3, 2008
              Well, a person can, indeed, learn something new every day if they
              aren't careful. :-)

              Thanks for the correction -- and for providing it without being
              condescending. It is difficult to discern exactly what something is
              made of in a grainy/blurry picture. I freely admit that I was
              guessing they were made of clay....and clay would, of course, tend to
              break on impact.

              Say, that does give one an idea. How about some "experimental
              archaeology"?

              --Artúr

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "jameswolfden" <jameswolfden@...>
              wrote:

              > If you mean these ones,

              > Archery/photos/album/965722480/pic/2050126555/view?
              > picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc
              >
              > They are Chinese whistling fire arrows from Stephen Selby's display
              > in Hong Kong. They are made of iron not clay. Oil and pitch soaked
              > cloth would be wrapped above the barbs in the arrow. The barbs
              would
              > prevent the flaming material from sliding back down the shaft on
              > release.
              >
              > Here is a write up on whistling arrows from the ATARN site that
              also
              > includes a bit on the fire arrows.
              >
              > http://www.atarn.org/chinese/whistle/whistle.htm
              >

              > In Service,
              > James Wolfden
              >
              > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "arturdubh" <nasionnaich@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Dave;
              > >
              > > There is a picture of some specially-made arrow heads, for use
              > > with "flame arrows", in the "Photos" section of the group; for
              > some
              > > reason I can't connect to the page right now, probably yet
              > > another "Yahoo! glitch"... Anyway, they seem to be made of clay,
              > with
              > > a cavity similar to that of a whstling arrow, designed to break
              > open
              > > on impact. Perhaps the flammable material was shoved inside,
              > soaked
              > > with naptha (or any other substance such as kerosene), lit and
              > sent
              > > on its way.
              > >
              > > In any case, they look to be extremely efficient.
              > >
              > > --Artúr
              > >

              > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <gargoyle1058@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I need any and all info that you may have on ways to make a
              > > workable flaming arrow ASAP modern or otherwise for use in any
              > type
              > > of bow including crossbows. This is not for a SCA project. Thank
              > > you, Gar

            • Andrew
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 4, 2008
                I posted a picture of a "cage Fire Arrowhead" in the Miscellaneous
                folder in the photo section.... perhaps that might give you an Idea