Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: flaming arrow ASAP

    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
      *Angry Villager <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0048589/>*: There must be
      another way of doing the credits.
      *Fire Marshal <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0720890/>*: That's right.
      Every time they make a Robin Hood movie, they burn our village down!

      --

      // Merry

      ----------
      "Merry" Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre AoA:071013 Torse:080906

    • Adrian
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
        > Heck, if you're gonna do that, why not use magnesium :) If you
        > can get it lit, you wouldn't be able to blow it out regardless....
        > Certainly would make for an impressive flame :)

        I would agree with the magnesium.

        My suggestion: a strip from a white terrycloth towel soaked in either
        a) outdoor lamp oil, b) a 50/50 combination of lamp oil and lighter
        fluid, or c) Coleman camp fuel; wrap the terrycloth strip onto the
        arrow shaft with wire. The arrow would be point-heavy, though.
      • arturdubh
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
          Dave;

          There is a picture of some specially-made arrow heads, for use
          with "flame arrows", in the "Photos" section of the group; for some
          reason I can't connect to the page right now, probably yet
          another "Yahoo! glitch"... Anyway, they seem to be made of clay, with
          a cavity similar to that of a whstling arrow, designed to break open
          on impact. Perhaps the flammable material was shoved inside, soaked
          with naptha (or any other substance such as kerosene), lit and sent
          on its way.

          In any case, they look to be extremely efficient.

          --Artúr

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <gargoyle1058@...> wrote:

          > I need any and all info that you may have on ways to make a
          workable flaming arrow ASAP modern or otherwise for use in any type
          of bow including crossbows. This is not for a SCA project. Thank
          you, Gar

        • jameswolfden
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 3, 2008
            If you mean these ones,

            Archery/photos/album/965722480/pic/2050126555/view?
            picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc

            They are Chinese whistling fire arrows from Stephen Selby's display
            in Hong Kong. They are made of iron not clay. Oil and pitch soaked
            cloth would be wrapped above the barbs in the arrow. The barbs would
            prevent the flaming material from sliding back down the shaft on
            release.

            Here is a write up on whistling arrows from the ATARN site that also
            includes a bit on the fire arrows.

            http://www.atarn.org/chinese/whistle/whistle.htm

            In Service,
            James Wolfden

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "arturdubh" <nasionnaich@...>
            wrote:

            > Dave;
            >
            > There is a picture of some specially-made arrow heads, for use
            > with "flame arrows", in the "Photos" section of the group; for
            some
            > reason I can't connect to the page right now, probably yet
            > another "Yahoo! glitch"... Anyway, they seem to be made of clay,
            with
            > a cavity similar to that of a whstling arrow, designed to break
            open
            > on impact. Perhaps the flammable material was shoved inside,
            soaked
            > with naptha (or any other substance such as kerosene), lit and
            sent
            > on its way.
            >
            > In any case, they look to be extremely efficient.
            >
            > --Artúr
            >

            > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <gargoyle1058@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I need any and all info that you may have on ways to make a
            > workable flaming arrow ASAP modern or otherwise for use in any
            type
            > of bow including crossbows. This is not for a SCA project. Thank
            > you, Gar

          • DavidP005
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 3, 2008
              I use a mixture of saltpetre, as I also make my own slow matches for
              my matchlock rifle, Pine Tar and boild linseed oil in my flaming
              arrows. I actually use the linseed oil to cut the Pine Tar to soak a
              piece of cloth that I bind to the arrow. I've found the saltpetre
              helps keep the mixture going in flight.

              Tex

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, 'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder

              NCID=emlcntuswall00000001>http://www.walletpop.com/?
              NCID=emlcntuswall00000001)

              > --
              >
              > // Merry
              >
              > ----------
              > "Merry" Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre AoA:071013 Torse:080906
              > Shire of Standing Stones; Formerly: Philippe Sebastian LeLutre
              > Christian M. Cepel --- 573.999.2370 --- Columbia, MO
              > http://Thistledowne.org/ http://ShireOfStandingStones.org/
              > ICQ:12384980 YIM/AOL:Bramblethorne MSN:Merry@ShireOfS.....
              >
              > 'Toirdhealbhach' anglicized Tirloughe (1576), modernly 'Turlough',
              > pronounced 'TIR' or 'TUR' + 'low', 'logh', 'lock', or 'loch'

            • arturdubh
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 3, 2008
                Well, a person can, indeed, learn something new every day if they
                aren't careful. :-)

                Thanks for the correction -- and for providing it without being
                condescending. It is difficult to discern exactly what something is
                made of in a grainy/blurry picture. I freely admit that I was
                guessing they were made of clay....and clay would, of course, tend to
                break on impact.

                Say, that does give one an idea. How about some "experimental
                archaeology"?

                --Artúr

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "jameswolfden" <jameswolfden@...>
                wrote:

                > If you mean these ones,

                > Archery/photos/album/965722480/pic/2050126555/view?
                > picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc
                >
                > They are Chinese whistling fire arrows from Stephen Selby's display
                > in Hong Kong. They are made of iron not clay. Oil and pitch soaked
                > cloth would be wrapped above the barbs in the arrow. The barbs
                would
                > prevent the flaming material from sliding back down the shaft on
                > release.
                >
                > Here is a write up on whistling arrows from the ATARN site that
                also
                > includes a bit on the fire arrows.
                >
                > http://www.atarn.org/chinese/whistle/whistle.htm
                >

                > In Service,
                > James Wolfden
                >
                > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "arturdubh" <nasionnaich@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Dave;
                > >
                > > There is a picture of some specially-made arrow heads, for use
                > > with "flame arrows", in the "Photos" section of the group; for
                > some
                > > reason I can't connect to the page right now, probably yet
                > > another "Yahoo! glitch"... Anyway, they seem to be made of clay,
                > with
                > > a cavity similar to that of a whstling arrow, designed to break
                > open
                > > on impact. Perhaps the flammable material was shoved inside,
                > soaked
                > > with naptha (or any other substance such as kerosene), lit and
                > sent
                > > on its way.
                > >
                > > In any case, they look to be extremely efficient.
                > >
                > > --Artúr
                > >

                > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <gargoyle1058@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I need any and all info that you may have on ways to make a
                > > workable flaming arrow ASAP modern or otherwise for use in any
                > type
                > > of bow including crossbows. This is not for a SCA project. Thank
                > > you, Gar

              • Andrew
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 4, 2008
                  I posted a picture of a "cage Fire Arrowhead" in the Miscellaneous
                  folder in the photo section.... perhaps that might give you an Idea