Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: flaming arrow ASAP

    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
      Heck, if you're gonna do that, why not use magnesium :) If you can
      get it lit, you wouldn't be able to blow it out regardless.... Certainly
      would make for an impressive flame :)

      --

      // Merry

      ----------
      "Merry" Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre AoA:071013 Torse:080906

      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
        *Angry Villager <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0048589/>*: There must be
        another way of doing the credits.
        *Fire Marshal <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0720890/>*: That's right.
        Every time they make a Robin Hood movie, they burn our village down!

        --

        // Merry

        ----------
        "Merry" Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre AoA:071013 Torse:080906

      • Adrian
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
          > Heck, if you're gonna do that, why not use magnesium :) If you
          > can get it lit, you wouldn't be able to blow it out regardless....
          > Certainly would make for an impressive flame :)

          I would agree with the magnesium.

          My suggestion: a strip from a white terrycloth towel soaked in either
          a) outdoor lamp oil, b) a 50/50 combination of lamp oil and lighter
          fluid, or c) Coleman camp fuel; wrap the terrycloth strip onto the
          arrow shaft with wire. The arrow would be point-heavy, though.
        • arturdubh
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
            Dave;

            There is a picture of some specially-made arrow heads, for use
            with "flame arrows", in the "Photos" section of the group; for some
            reason I can't connect to the page right now, probably yet
            another "Yahoo! glitch"... Anyway, they seem to be made of clay, with
            a cavity similar to that of a whstling arrow, designed to break open
            on impact. Perhaps the flammable material was shoved inside, soaked
            with naptha (or any other substance such as kerosene), lit and sent
            on its way.

            In any case, they look to be extremely efficient.

            --Artúr

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <gargoyle1058@...> wrote:

            > I need any and all info that you may have on ways to make a
            workable flaming arrow ASAP modern or otherwise for use in any type
            of bow including crossbows. This is not for a SCA project. Thank
            you, Gar

          • jameswolfden
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 3, 2008
              If you mean these ones,

              Archery/photos/album/965722480/pic/2050126555/view?
              picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc

              They are Chinese whistling fire arrows from Stephen Selby's display
              in Hong Kong. They are made of iron not clay. Oil and pitch soaked
              cloth would be wrapped above the barbs in the arrow. The barbs would
              prevent the flaming material from sliding back down the shaft on
              release.

              Here is a write up on whistling arrows from the ATARN site that also
              includes a bit on the fire arrows.

              http://www.atarn.org/chinese/whistle/whistle.htm

              In Service,
              James Wolfden

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "arturdubh" <nasionnaich@...>
              wrote:

              > Dave;
              >
              > There is a picture of some specially-made arrow heads, for use
              > with "flame arrows", in the "Photos" section of the group; for
              some
              > reason I can't connect to the page right now, probably yet
              > another "Yahoo! glitch"... Anyway, they seem to be made of clay,
              with
              > a cavity similar to that of a whstling arrow, designed to break
              open
              > on impact. Perhaps the flammable material was shoved inside,
              soaked
              > with naptha (or any other substance such as kerosene), lit and
              sent
              > on its way.
              >
              > In any case, they look to be extremely efficient.
              >
              > --Artúr
              >

              > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <gargoyle1058@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I need any and all info that you may have on ways to make a
              > workable flaming arrow ASAP modern or otherwise for use in any
              type
              > of bow including crossbows. This is not for a SCA project. Thank
              > you, Gar

            • DavidP005
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 3, 2008
                I use a mixture of saltpetre, as I also make my own slow matches for
                my matchlock rifle, Pine Tar and boild linseed oil in my flaming
                arrows. I actually use the linseed oil to cut the Pine Tar to soak a
                piece of cloth that I bind to the arrow. I've found the saltpetre
                helps keep the mixture going in flight.

                Tex

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, 'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder

                NCID=emlcntuswall00000001>http://www.walletpop.com/?
                NCID=emlcntuswall00000001)

                > --
                >
                > // Merry
                >
                > ----------
                > "Merry" Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre AoA:071013 Torse:080906
                > Shire of Standing Stones; Formerly: Philippe Sebastian LeLutre
                > Christian M. Cepel --- 573.999.2370 --- Columbia, MO
                > http://Thistledowne.org/ http://ShireOfStandingStones.org/
                > ICQ:12384980 YIM/AOL:Bramblethorne MSN:Merry@ShireOfS.....
                >
                > 'Toirdhealbhach' anglicized Tirloughe (1576), modernly 'Turlough',
                > pronounced 'TIR' or 'TUR' + 'low', 'logh', 'lock', or 'loch'

              • arturdubh
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 3, 2008
                  Well, a person can, indeed, learn something new every day if they
                  aren't careful. :-)

                  Thanks for the correction -- and for providing it without being
                  condescending. It is difficult to discern exactly what something is
                  made of in a grainy/blurry picture. I freely admit that I was
                  guessing they were made of clay....and clay would, of course, tend to
                  break on impact.

                  Say, that does give one an idea. How about some "experimental
                  archaeology"?

                  --Artúr

                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "jameswolfden" <jameswolfden@...>
                  wrote:

                  > If you mean these ones,

                  > Archery/photos/album/965722480/pic/2050126555/view?
                  > picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc
                  >
                  > They are Chinese whistling fire arrows from Stephen Selby's display
                  > in Hong Kong. They are made of iron not clay. Oil and pitch soaked
                  > cloth would be wrapped above the barbs in the arrow. The barbs
                  would
                  > prevent the flaming material from sliding back down the shaft on
                  > release.
                  >
                  > Here is a write up on whistling arrows from the ATARN site that
                  also
                  > includes a bit on the fire arrows.
                  >
                  > http://www.atarn.org/chinese/whistle/whistle.htm
                  >

                  > In Service,
                  > James Wolfden
                  >
                  > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "arturdubh" <nasionnaich@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Dave;
                  > >
                  > > There is a picture of some specially-made arrow heads, for use
                  > > with "flame arrows", in the "Photos" section of the group; for
                  > some
                  > > reason I can't connect to the page right now, probably yet
                  > > another "Yahoo! glitch"... Anyway, they seem to be made of clay,
                  > with
                  > > a cavity similar to that of a whstling arrow, designed to break
                  > open
                  > > on impact. Perhaps the flammable material was shoved inside,
                  > soaked
                  > > with naptha (or any other substance such as kerosene), lit and
                  > sent
                  > > on its way.
                  > >
                  > > In any case, they look to be extremely efficient.
                  > >
                  > > --Artúr
                  > >

                  > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <gargoyle1058@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I need any and all info that you may have on ways to make a
                  > > workable flaming arrow ASAP modern or otherwise for use in any
                  > type
                  > > of bow including crossbows. This is not for a SCA project. Thank
                  > > you, Gar

                • Andrew
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 4, 2008
                    I posted a picture of a "cage Fire Arrowhead" in the Miscellaneous
                    folder in the photo section.... perhaps that might give you an Idea