Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: flaming arrow ASAP

  • James Koch
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
      I tend to agree regarding using saltpetre. I used to soak cotton
      rope in a solution of saltpetre and allow it to dry to make slow
      match. Once lit he slow match would smoulder in still air and glow
      brightly in a strong wind. Potassium Nitrate "Chile Saltpeter" works
      best since it is less hydrophilic than sodium nitrate. If a cloth
      was treated with saltpetre and then soaked in naptha, once lit it
      would difficult to blow out.

      Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
        Heck, if you're gonna do that, why not use magnesium :) If you can
        get it lit, you wouldn't be able to blow it out regardless.... Certainly
        would make for an impressive flame :)

        --

        // Merry

        ----------
        "Merry" Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre AoA:071013 Torse:080906

        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
          *Angry Villager <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0048589/>*: There must be
          another way of doing the credits.
          *Fire Marshal <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0720890/>*: That's right.
          Every time they make a Robin Hood movie, they burn our village down!

          --

          // Merry

          ----------
          "Merry" Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre AoA:071013 Torse:080906

        • Adrian
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
            > Heck, if you're gonna do that, why not use magnesium :) If you
            > can get it lit, you wouldn't be able to blow it out regardless....
            > Certainly would make for an impressive flame :)

            I would agree with the magnesium.

            My suggestion: a strip from a white terrycloth towel soaked in either
            a) outdoor lamp oil, b) a 50/50 combination of lamp oil and lighter
            fluid, or c) Coleman camp fuel; wrap the terrycloth strip onto the
            arrow shaft with wire. The arrow would be point-heavy, though.
          • arturdubh
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
              Dave;

              There is a picture of some specially-made arrow heads, for use
              with "flame arrows", in the "Photos" section of the group; for some
              reason I can't connect to the page right now, probably yet
              another "Yahoo! glitch"... Anyway, they seem to be made of clay, with
              a cavity similar to that of a whstling arrow, designed to break open
              on impact. Perhaps the flammable material was shoved inside, soaked
              with naptha (or any other substance such as kerosene), lit and sent
              on its way.

              In any case, they look to be extremely efficient.

              --Artúr

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <gargoyle1058@...> wrote:

              > I need any and all info that you may have on ways to make a
              workable flaming arrow ASAP modern or otherwise for use in any type
              of bow including crossbows. This is not for a SCA project. Thank
              you, Gar

            • jameswolfden
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 3, 2008
                If you mean these ones,

                Archery/photos/album/965722480/pic/2050126555/view?
                picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc

                They are Chinese whistling fire arrows from Stephen Selby's display
                in Hong Kong. They are made of iron not clay. Oil and pitch soaked
                cloth would be wrapped above the barbs in the arrow. The barbs would
                prevent the flaming material from sliding back down the shaft on
                release.

                Here is a write up on whistling arrows from the ATARN site that also
                includes a bit on the fire arrows.

                http://www.atarn.org/chinese/whistle/whistle.htm

                In Service,
                James Wolfden

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "arturdubh" <nasionnaich@...>
                wrote:

                > Dave;
                >
                > There is a picture of some specially-made arrow heads, for use
                > with "flame arrows", in the "Photos" section of the group; for
                some
                > reason I can't connect to the page right now, probably yet
                > another "Yahoo! glitch"... Anyway, they seem to be made of clay,
                with
                > a cavity similar to that of a whstling arrow, designed to break
                open
                > on impact. Perhaps the flammable material was shoved inside,
                soaked
                > with naptha (or any other substance such as kerosene), lit and
                sent
                > on its way.
                >
                > In any case, they look to be extremely efficient.
                >
                > --Artúr
                >

                > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <gargoyle1058@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I need any and all info that you may have on ways to make a
                > workable flaming arrow ASAP modern or otherwise for use in any
                type
                > of bow including crossbows. This is not for a SCA project. Thank
                > you, Gar

              • DavidP005
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 3, 2008
                  I use a mixture of saltpetre, as I also make my own slow matches for
                  my matchlock rifle, Pine Tar and boild linseed oil in my flaming
                  arrows. I actually use the linseed oil to cut the Pine Tar to soak a
                  piece of cloth that I bind to the arrow. I've found the saltpetre
                  helps keep the mixture going in flight.

                  Tex

                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, 'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder

                  NCID=emlcntuswall00000001>http://www.walletpop.com/?
                  NCID=emlcntuswall00000001)

                  > --
                  >
                  > // Merry
                  >
                  > ----------
                  > "Merry" Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre AoA:071013 Torse:080906
                  > Shire of Standing Stones; Formerly: Philippe Sebastian LeLutre
                  > Christian M. Cepel --- 573.999.2370 --- Columbia, MO
                  > http://Thistledowne.org/ http://ShireOfStandingStones.org/
                  > ICQ:12384980 YIM/AOL:Bramblethorne MSN:Merry@ShireOfS.....
                  >
                  > 'Toirdhealbhach' anglicized Tirloughe (1576), modernly 'Turlough',
                  > pronounced 'TIR' or 'TUR' + 'low', 'logh', 'lock', or 'loch'

                • arturdubh
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 3, 2008
                    Well, a person can, indeed, learn something new every day if they
                    aren't careful. :-)

                    Thanks for the correction -- and for providing it without being
                    condescending. It is difficult to discern exactly what something is
                    made of in a grainy/blurry picture. I freely admit that I was
                    guessing they were made of clay....and clay would, of course, tend to
                    break on impact.

                    Say, that does give one an idea. How about some "experimental
                    archaeology"?

                    --Artúr

                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "jameswolfden" <jameswolfden@...>
                    wrote:

                    > If you mean these ones,

                    > Archery/photos/album/965722480/pic/2050126555/view?
                    > picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc
                    >
                    > They are Chinese whistling fire arrows from Stephen Selby's display
                    > in Hong Kong. They are made of iron not clay. Oil and pitch soaked
                    > cloth would be wrapped above the barbs in the arrow. The barbs
                    would
                    > prevent the flaming material from sliding back down the shaft on
                    > release.
                    >
                    > Here is a write up on whistling arrows from the ATARN site that
                    also
                    > includes a bit on the fire arrows.
                    >
                    > http://www.atarn.org/chinese/whistle/whistle.htm
                    >

                    > In Service,
                    > James Wolfden
                    >
                    > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "arturdubh" <nasionnaich@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Dave;
                    > >
                    > > There is a picture of some specially-made arrow heads, for use
                    > > with "flame arrows", in the "Photos" section of the group; for
                    > some
                    > > reason I can't connect to the page right now, probably yet
                    > > another "Yahoo! glitch"... Anyway, they seem to be made of clay,
                    > with
                    > > a cavity similar to that of a whstling arrow, designed to break
                    > open
                    > > on impact. Perhaps the flammable material was shoved inside,
                    > soaked
                    > > with naptha (or any other substance such as kerosene), lit and
                    > sent
                    > > on its way.
                    > >
                    > > In any case, they look to be extremely efficient.
                    > >
                    > > --Artúr
                    > >

                    > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <gargoyle1058@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I need any and all info that you may have on ways to make a
                    > > workable flaming arrow ASAP modern or otherwise for use in any
                    > type
                    > > of bow including crossbows. This is not for a SCA project. Thank
                    > > you, Gar

                  • Andrew
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 4, 2008
                      I posted a picture of a "cage Fire Arrowhead" in the Miscellaneous
                      folder in the photo section.... perhaps that might give you an Idea