Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: flaming arrow ASAP

  • blkknighti@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
      I think your thinking of Saltpetre ( potassium nitrate) which is an
      ingredient of gunpowder and is used to make things like incense, rope and cigarettes to
      keep these items from going out and controlling the burn. May be helpful with
      a fire arrow....
      Richard
      In a message dated 10/2/08 12:34:23 PM, sandra.rangel16@... writes:

      > Anyone try jet feul? Maybe it will stay lit while the arrow is in
      > flight? Just a thought, never tried but then again the way gas prices
      > are it might be expensive to test. I think somewhere I read that
      > there's a small amount they put in cigarette's too (ever wonder why
      > they stay lit even in wind?) Maybe that's a myth but I don't smoke
      > either way!
      >
      > ~Rohesia

    • James Koch
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
        I tend to agree regarding using saltpetre. I used to soak cotton
        rope in a solution of saltpetre and allow it to dry to make slow
        match. Once lit he slow match would smoulder in still air and glow
        brightly in a strong wind. Potassium Nitrate "Chile Saltpeter" works
        best since it is less hydrophilic than sodium nitrate. If a cloth
        was treated with saltpetre and then soaked in naptha, once lit it
        would difficult to blow out.

        Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
          Heck, if you're gonna do that, why not use magnesium :) If you can
          get it lit, you wouldn't be able to blow it out regardless.... Certainly
          would make for an impressive flame :)

          --

          // Merry

          ----------
          "Merry" Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre AoA:071013 Torse:080906

          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
            *Angry Villager <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0048589/>*: There must be
            another way of doing the credits.
            *Fire Marshal <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0720890/>*: That's right.
            Every time they make a Robin Hood movie, they burn our village down!

            --

            // Merry

            ----------
            "Merry" Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre AoA:071013 Torse:080906

          • Adrian
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
              > Heck, if you're gonna do that, why not use magnesium :) If you
              > can get it lit, you wouldn't be able to blow it out regardless....
              > Certainly would make for an impressive flame :)

              I would agree with the magnesium.

              My suggestion: a strip from a white terrycloth towel soaked in either
              a) outdoor lamp oil, b) a 50/50 combination of lamp oil and lighter
              fluid, or c) Coleman camp fuel; wrap the terrycloth strip onto the
              arrow shaft with wire. The arrow would be point-heavy, though.
            • arturdubh
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                Dave;

                There is a picture of some specially-made arrow heads, for use
                with "flame arrows", in the "Photos" section of the group; for some
                reason I can't connect to the page right now, probably yet
                another "Yahoo! glitch"... Anyway, they seem to be made of clay, with
                a cavity similar to that of a whstling arrow, designed to break open
                on impact. Perhaps the flammable material was shoved inside, soaked
                with naptha (or any other substance such as kerosene), lit and sent
                on its way.

                In any case, they look to be extremely efficient.

                --Artúr

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <gargoyle1058@...> wrote:

                > I need any and all info that you may have on ways to make a
                workable flaming arrow ASAP modern or otherwise for use in any type
                of bow including crossbows. This is not for a SCA project. Thank
                you, Gar

              • jameswolfden
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 3, 2008
                  If you mean these ones,

                  Archery/photos/album/965722480/pic/2050126555/view?
                  picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc

                  They are Chinese whistling fire arrows from Stephen Selby's display
                  in Hong Kong. They are made of iron not clay. Oil and pitch soaked
                  cloth would be wrapped above the barbs in the arrow. The barbs would
                  prevent the flaming material from sliding back down the shaft on
                  release.

                  Here is a write up on whistling arrows from the ATARN site that also
                  includes a bit on the fire arrows.

                  http://www.atarn.org/chinese/whistle/whistle.htm

                  In Service,
                  James Wolfden

                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "arturdubh" <nasionnaich@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Dave;
                  >
                  > There is a picture of some specially-made arrow heads, for use
                  > with "flame arrows", in the "Photos" section of the group; for
                  some
                  > reason I can't connect to the page right now, probably yet
                  > another "Yahoo! glitch"... Anyway, they seem to be made of clay,
                  with
                  > a cavity similar to that of a whstling arrow, designed to break
                  open
                  > on impact. Perhaps the flammable material was shoved inside,
                  soaked
                  > with naptha (or any other substance such as kerosene), lit and
                  sent
                  > on its way.
                  >
                  > In any case, they look to be extremely efficient.
                  >
                  > --Artúr
                  >

                  > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <gargoyle1058@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I need any and all info that you may have on ways to make a
                  > workable flaming arrow ASAP modern or otherwise for use in any
                  type
                  > of bow including crossbows. This is not for a SCA project. Thank
                  > you, Gar

                • DavidP005
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 3, 2008
                    I use a mixture of saltpetre, as I also make my own slow matches for
                    my matchlock rifle, Pine Tar and boild linseed oil in my flaming
                    arrows. I actually use the linseed oil to cut the Pine Tar to soak a
                    piece of cloth that I bind to the arrow. I've found the saltpetre
                    helps keep the mixture going in flight.

                    Tex

                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, 'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder

                    NCID=emlcntuswall00000001>http://www.walletpop.com/?
                    NCID=emlcntuswall00000001)

                    > --
                    >
                    > // Merry
                    >
                    > ----------
                    > "Merry" Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre AoA:071013 Torse:080906
                    > Shire of Standing Stones; Formerly: Philippe Sebastian LeLutre
                    > Christian M. Cepel --- 573.999.2370 --- Columbia, MO
                    > http://Thistledowne.org/ http://ShireOfStandingStones.org/
                    > ICQ:12384980 YIM/AOL:Bramblethorne MSN:Merry@ShireOfS.....
                    >
                    > 'Toirdhealbhach' anglicized Tirloughe (1576), modernly 'Turlough',
                    > pronounced 'TIR' or 'TUR' + 'low', 'logh', 'lock', or 'loch'

                  • arturdubh
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 3, 2008
                      Well, a person can, indeed, learn something new every day if they
                      aren't careful. :-)

                      Thanks for the correction -- and for providing it without being
                      condescending. It is difficult to discern exactly what something is
                      made of in a grainy/blurry picture. I freely admit that I was
                      guessing they were made of clay....and clay would, of course, tend to
                      break on impact.

                      Say, that does give one an idea. How about some "experimental
                      archaeology"?

                      --Artúr

                      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "jameswolfden" <jameswolfden@...>
                      wrote:

                      > If you mean these ones,

                      > Archery/photos/album/965722480/pic/2050126555/view?
                      > picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc
                      >
                      > They are Chinese whistling fire arrows from Stephen Selby's display
                      > in Hong Kong. They are made of iron not clay. Oil and pitch soaked
                      > cloth would be wrapped above the barbs in the arrow. The barbs
                      would
                      > prevent the flaming material from sliding back down the shaft on
                      > release.
                      >
                      > Here is a write up on whistling arrows from the ATARN site that
                      also
                      > includes a bit on the fire arrows.
                      >
                      > http://www.atarn.org/chinese/whistle/whistle.htm
                      >

                      > In Service,
                      > James Wolfden
                      >
                      > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "arturdubh" <nasionnaich@>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Dave;
                      > >
                      > > There is a picture of some specially-made arrow heads, for use
                      > > with "flame arrows", in the "Photos" section of the group; for
                      > some
                      > > reason I can't connect to the page right now, probably yet
                      > > another "Yahoo! glitch"... Anyway, they seem to be made of clay,
                      > with
                      > > a cavity similar to that of a whstling arrow, designed to break
                      > open
                      > > on impact. Perhaps the flammable material was shoved inside,
                      > soaked
                      > > with naptha (or any other substance such as kerosene), lit and
                      > sent
                      > > on its way.
                      > >
                      > > In any case, they look to be extremely efficient.
                      > >
                      > > --Artúr
                      > >

                      > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <gargoyle1058@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I need any and all info that you may have on ways to make a
                      > > workable flaming arrow ASAP modern or otherwise for use in any
                      > type
                      > > of bow including crossbows. This is not for a SCA project. Thank
                      > > you, Gar

                    • Andrew
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 4, 2008
                        I posted a picture of a "cage Fire Arrowhead" in the Miscellaneous
                        folder in the photo section.... perhaps that might give you an Idea