Re: flaming arrow ASAP

  • Cian of Storvik
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
      Hector Cole in the UK makes a "flame cage" arrow point. Not sure of
      it's provenance, but I've heard a lot of references to them.

      Here's a pic:
      http://www.hectorcoleironwork.com/images/cage%20fire.gif

      -Cian

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Maddison" <llywylyn@...>
      wrote:

      > check out the military channel website, there is show there called
      weapons
      > masters that did flaming arrow off a roman scorpion. they used a
      cage like
      > point filled with pitch. the idea may be adaptable to easier to get
      > flammable materials.
      > Llywyllyn
    • Scott B. Jaqua
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
        Last time I did a flaming arrow it was not even shot from a bow.

        In boy scouts, to light a fire by use of a flaming arrow, we did the
        following. First we cleared a ten foot wide path through the ground
        cover. Then we rigged a mono filament slide line and an arrow with two
        eye hooks to slide down it. The tension on the mono filament line was
        maxed out (you will see why in a bit). The arrow had a rag wad wrapped
        around the point soaked in simple lighter fluid ( with salt dissolved in
        it to brighten the flame (yellow /orange sodium flare)).

        At the signal someone lit the arrow at it's high point on the line. They
        then launched it very quickly so as not to burn through the line at that
        point. The arrow traveled down the line very quickly. Likewise not
        getting any one area hot enough to burn/melt through. Once it hit the
        base of the run at the tinder for the fire , it sat still long to
        burn/melt through the line. Then the line being stretched, it snapped
        back away from the fire pit a pretty good distance. So we were able to
        recover the left over line well away from spectators. The only give away
        on the whole trick was the large cleared path to the fire pit.

        Not bad for a bunch of kids.

        Njall

        --
        Scott B. Jaqua
        Hagerson Forge
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
          thats the design they used on the show,the history "expert" said it was the
          pattern used by the romans to burn out the Celts ( the ba****ds)
          Llywyllyn

          On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 10:08 AM, Cian of Storvik <firespiter@...>wrote:

          > Hector Cole in the UK makes a "flame cage" arrow point. Not sure of
          > it's provenance, but I've heard a lot of references to them.
          >
          > Here's a pic:
          > http://www.hectorcoleironwork.com/images/cage%20fire.gif
          >
          > -Cian
          >
          > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com <SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > "Robert Maddison" <llywylyn@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > check out the military channel website, there is show there called
          > weapons
          > > masters that did flaming arrow off a roman scorpion. they used a
          > cage like
          > > point filled with pitch. the idea may be adaptable to easier to get
          > > flammable materials.
          > > Llywyllyn

        • Sandra
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
            Anyone try jet feul? Maybe it will stay lit while the arrow is in
            flight? Just a thought, never tried but then again the way gas prices
            are it might be expensive to test. I think somewhere I read that
            there's a small amount they put in cigarette's too (ever wonder why
            they stay lit even in wind?) Maybe that's a myth but I don't smoke
            either way!

            ~Rohesia
          • blkknighti@aol.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
              I think your thinking of Saltpetre ( potassium nitrate) which is an
              ingredient of gunpowder and is used to make things like incense, rope and cigarettes to
              keep these items from going out and controlling the burn. May be helpful with
              a fire arrow....
              Richard
              In a message dated 10/2/08 12:34:23 PM, sandra.rangel16@... writes:

              > Anyone try jet feul? Maybe it will stay lit while the arrow is in
              > flight? Just a thought, never tried but then again the way gas prices
              > are it might be expensive to test. I think somewhere I read that
              > there's a small amount they put in cigarette's too (ever wonder why
              > they stay lit even in wind?) Maybe that's a myth but I don't smoke
              > either way!
              >
              > ~Rohesia

            • James Koch
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                I tend to agree regarding using saltpetre. I used to soak cotton
                rope in a solution of saltpetre and allow it to dry to make slow
                match. Once lit he slow match would smoulder in still air and glow
                brightly in a strong wind. Potassium Nitrate "Chile Saltpeter" works
                best since it is less hydrophilic than sodium nitrate. If a cloth
                was treated with saltpetre and then soaked in naptha, once lit it
                would difficult to blow out.

                Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                  Heck, if you're gonna do that, why not use magnesium :) If you can
                  get it lit, you wouldn't be able to blow it out regardless.... Certainly
                  would make for an impressive flame :)

                  --

                  // Merry

                  ----------
                  "Merry" Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre AoA:071013 Torse:080906

                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                    *Angry Villager <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0048589/>*: There must be
                    another way of doing the credits.
                    *Fire Marshal <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0720890/>*: That's right.
                    Every time they make a Robin Hood movie, they burn our village down!

                    --

                    // Merry

                    ----------
                    "Merry" Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre AoA:071013 Torse:080906

                  • Adrian
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                      > Heck, if you're gonna do that, why not use magnesium :) If you
                      > can get it lit, you wouldn't be able to blow it out regardless....
                      > Certainly would make for an impressive flame :)

                      I would agree with the magnesium.

                      My suggestion: a strip from a white terrycloth towel soaked in either
                      a) outdoor lamp oil, b) a 50/50 combination of lamp oil and lighter
                      fluid, or c) Coleman camp fuel; wrap the terrycloth strip onto the
                      arrow shaft with wire. The arrow would be point-heavy, though.
                    • arturdubh
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                        Dave;

                        There is a picture of some specially-made arrow heads, for use
                        with "flame arrows", in the "Photos" section of the group; for some
                        reason I can't connect to the page right now, probably yet
                        another "Yahoo! glitch"... Anyway, they seem to be made of clay, with
                        a cavity similar to that of a whstling arrow, designed to break open
                        on impact. Perhaps the flammable material was shoved inside, soaked
                        with naptha (or any other substance such as kerosene), lit and sent
                        on its way.

                        In any case, they look to be extremely efficient.

                        --Artúr

                        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <gargoyle1058@...> wrote:

                        > I need any and all info that you may have on ways to make a
                        workable flaming arrow ASAP modern or otherwise for use in any type
                        of bow including crossbows. This is not for a SCA project. Thank
                        you, Gar

                      • jameswolfden
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 3, 2008
                          If you mean these ones,

                          Archery/photos/album/965722480/pic/2050126555/view?
                          picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc

                          They are Chinese whistling fire arrows from Stephen Selby's display
                          in Hong Kong. They are made of iron not clay. Oil and pitch soaked
                          cloth would be wrapped above the barbs in the arrow. The barbs would
                          prevent the flaming material from sliding back down the shaft on
                          release.

                          Here is a write up on whistling arrows from the ATARN site that also
                          includes a bit on the fire arrows.

                          http://www.atarn.org/chinese/whistle/whistle.htm

                          In Service,
                          James Wolfden

                          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "arturdubh" <nasionnaich@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Dave;
                          >
                          > There is a picture of some specially-made arrow heads, for use
                          > with "flame arrows", in the "Photos" section of the group; for
                          some
                          > reason I can't connect to the page right now, probably yet
                          > another "Yahoo! glitch"... Anyway, they seem to be made of clay,
                          with
                          > a cavity similar to that of a whstling arrow, designed to break
                          open
                          > on impact. Perhaps the flammable material was shoved inside,
                          soaked
                          > with naptha (or any other substance such as kerosene), lit and
                          sent
                          > on its way.
                          >
                          > In any case, they look to be extremely efficient.
                          >
                          > --Artúr
                          >

                          > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <gargoyle1058@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I need any and all info that you may have on ways to make a
                          > workable flaming arrow ASAP modern or otherwise for use in any
                          type
                          > of bow including crossbows. This is not for a SCA project. Thank
                          > you, Gar

                        • DavidP005
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 3, 2008
                            I use a mixture of saltpetre, as I also make my own slow matches for
                            my matchlock rifle, Pine Tar and boild linseed oil in my flaming
                            arrows. I actually use the linseed oil to cut the Pine Tar to soak a
                            piece of cloth that I bind to the arrow. I've found the saltpetre
                            helps keep the mixture going in flight.

                            Tex

                            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, 'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder

                            NCID=emlcntuswall00000001>http://www.walletpop.com/?
                            NCID=emlcntuswall00000001)

                            > --
                            >
                            > // Merry
                            >
                            > ----------
                            > "Merry" Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre AoA:071013 Torse:080906
                            > Shire of Standing Stones; Formerly: Philippe Sebastian LeLutre
                            > Christian M. Cepel --- 573.999.2370 --- Columbia, MO
                            > http://Thistledowne.org/ http://ShireOfStandingStones.org/
                            > ICQ:12384980 YIM/AOL:Bramblethorne MSN:Merry@ShireOfS.....
                            >
                            > 'Toirdhealbhach' anglicized Tirloughe (1576), modernly 'Turlough',
                            > pronounced 'TIR' or 'TUR' + 'low', 'logh', 'lock', or 'loch'

                          • arturdubh
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 3, 2008
                              Well, a person can, indeed, learn something new every day if they
                              aren't careful. :-)

                              Thanks for the correction -- and for providing it without being
                              condescending. It is difficult to discern exactly what something is
                              made of in a grainy/blurry picture. I freely admit that I was
                              guessing they were made of clay....and clay would, of course, tend to
                              break on impact.

                              Say, that does give one an idea. How about some "experimental
                              archaeology"?

                              --Artúr

                              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "jameswolfden" <jameswolfden@...>
                              wrote:

                              > If you mean these ones,

                              > Archery/photos/album/965722480/pic/2050126555/view?
                              > picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc
                              >
                              > They are Chinese whistling fire arrows from Stephen Selby's display
                              > in Hong Kong. They are made of iron not clay. Oil and pitch soaked
                              > cloth would be wrapped above the barbs in the arrow. The barbs
                              would
                              > prevent the flaming material from sliding back down the shaft on
                              > release.
                              >
                              > Here is a write up on whistling arrows from the ATARN site that
                              also
                              > includes a bit on the fire arrows.
                              >
                              > http://www.atarn.org/chinese/whistle/whistle.htm
                              >

                              > In Service,
                              > James Wolfden
                              >
                              > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "arturdubh" <nasionnaich@>
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Dave;
                              > >
                              > > There is a picture of some specially-made arrow heads, for use
                              > > with "flame arrows", in the "Photos" section of the group; for
                              > some
                              > > reason I can't connect to the page right now, probably yet
                              > > another "Yahoo! glitch"... Anyway, they seem to be made of clay,
                              > with
                              > > a cavity similar to that of a whstling arrow, designed to break
                              > open
                              > > on impact. Perhaps the flammable material was shoved inside,
                              > soaked
                              > > with naptha (or any other substance such as kerosene), lit and
                              > sent
                              > > on its way.
                              > >
                              > > In any case, they look to be extremely efficient.
                              > >
                              > > --Artúr
                              > >

                              > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <gargoyle1058@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > I need any and all info that you may have on ways to make a
                              > > workable flaming arrow ASAP modern or otherwise for use in any
                              > type
                              > > of bow including crossbows. This is not for a SCA project. Thank
                              > > you, Gar

                            • Andrew
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 4, 2008
                                I posted a picture of a "cage Fire Arrowhead" in the Miscellaneous
                                folder in the photo section.... perhaps that might give you an Idea