Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: flaming arrow ASAP

  • Robert Maddison
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
      check out the military channel website, there is show there called weapons
      masters that did flaming arrow off a roman scorpion. they used a cage like
      point filled with pitch. the idea may be adaptable to easier to get
      flammable materials.
      Llywyllyn

      On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 9:20 AM, Hobbe <clanyoungvp@...> wrote:

      > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com <SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > "Dave" <gargoyle1058@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > flaming arrow
      > Cloth soaked in a flammable liquid (not gasoline) strapped to the front
      > of the arrow, with some sort of funnel shaped wind guard in front of it.
      > ~Hobbe
      > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/msearch?query=flaming+arrow

    • Cian of Storvik
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
        Hector Cole in the UK makes a "flame cage" arrow point. Not sure of
        it's provenance, but I've heard a lot of references to them.

        Here's a pic:
        http://www.hectorcoleironwork.com/images/cage%20fire.gif

        -Cian

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Maddison" <llywylyn@...>
        wrote:

        > check out the military channel website, there is show there called
        weapons
        > masters that did flaming arrow off a roman scorpion. they used a
        cage like
        > point filled with pitch. the idea may be adaptable to easier to get
        > flammable materials.
        > Llywyllyn
      • Scott B. Jaqua
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
          Last time I did a flaming arrow it was not even shot from a bow.

          In boy scouts, to light a fire by use of a flaming arrow, we did the
          following. First we cleared a ten foot wide path through the ground
          cover. Then we rigged a mono filament slide line and an arrow with two
          eye hooks to slide down it. The tension on the mono filament line was
          maxed out (you will see why in a bit). The arrow had a rag wad wrapped
          around the point soaked in simple lighter fluid ( with salt dissolved in
          it to brighten the flame (yellow /orange sodium flare)).

          At the signal someone lit the arrow at it's high point on the line. They
          then launched it very quickly so as not to burn through the line at that
          point. The arrow traveled down the line very quickly. Likewise not
          getting any one area hot enough to burn/melt through. Once it hit the
          base of the run at the tinder for the fire , it sat still long to
          burn/melt through the line. Then the line being stretched, it snapped
          back away from the fire pit a pretty good distance. So we were able to
          recover the left over line well away from spectators. The only give away
          on the whole trick was the large cleared path to the fire pit.

          Not bad for a bunch of kids.

          Njall

          --
          Scott B. Jaqua
          Hagerson Forge
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
            thats the design they used on the show,the history "expert" said it was the
            pattern used by the romans to burn out the Celts ( the ba****ds)
            Llywyllyn

            On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 10:08 AM, Cian of Storvik <firespiter@...>wrote:

            > Hector Cole in the UK makes a "flame cage" arrow point. Not sure of
            > it's provenance, but I've heard a lot of references to them.
            >
            > Here's a pic:
            > http://www.hectorcoleironwork.com/images/cage%20fire.gif
            >
            > -Cian
            >
            > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com <SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > "Robert Maddison" <llywylyn@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > check out the military channel website, there is show there called
            > weapons
            > > masters that did flaming arrow off a roman scorpion. they used a
            > cage like
            > > point filled with pitch. the idea may be adaptable to easier to get
            > > flammable materials.
            > > Llywyllyn

          • Sandra
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
              Anyone try jet feul? Maybe it will stay lit while the arrow is in
              flight? Just a thought, never tried but then again the way gas prices
              are it might be expensive to test. I think somewhere I read that
              there's a small amount they put in cigarette's too (ever wonder why
              they stay lit even in wind?) Maybe that's a myth but I don't smoke
              either way!

              ~Rohesia
            • blkknighti@aol.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                I think your thinking of Saltpetre ( potassium nitrate) which is an
                ingredient of gunpowder and is used to make things like incense, rope and cigarettes to
                keep these items from going out and controlling the burn. May be helpful with
                a fire arrow....
                Richard
                In a message dated 10/2/08 12:34:23 PM, sandra.rangel16@... writes:

                > Anyone try jet feul? Maybe it will stay lit while the arrow is in
                > flight? Just a thought, never tried but then again the way gas prices
                > are it might be expensive to test. I think somewhere I read that
                > there's a small amount they put in cigarette's too (ever wonder why
                > they stay lit even in wind?) Maybe that's a myth but I don't smoke
                > either way!
                >
                > ~Rohesia

              • James Koch
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                  I tend to agree regarding using saltpetre. I used to soak cotton
                  rope in a solution of saltpetre and allow it to dry to make slow
                  match. Once lit he slow match would smoulder in still air and glow
                  brightly in a strong wind. Potassium Nitrate "Chile Saltpeter" works
                  best since it is less hydrophilic than sodium nitrate. If a cloth
                  was treated with saltpetre and then soaked in naptha, once lit it
                  would difficult to blow out.

                  Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                    Heck, if you're gonna do that, why not use magnesium :) If you can
                    get it lit, you wouldn't be able to blow it out regardless.... Certainly
                    would make for an impressive flame :)

                    --

                    // Merry

                    ----------
                    "Merry" Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre AoA:071013 Torse:080906

                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                      *Angry Villager <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0048589/>*: There must be
                      another way of doing the credits.
                      *Fire Marshal <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0720890/>*: That's right.
                      Every time they make a Robin Hood movie, they burn our village down!

                      --

                      // Merry

                      ----------
                      "Merry" Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre AoA:071013 Torse:080906

                    • Adrian
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                        > Heck, if you're gonna do that, why not use magnesium :) If you
                        > can get it lit, you wouldn't be able to blow it out regardless....
                        > Certainly would make for an impressive flame :)

                        I would agree with the magnesium.

                        My suggestion: a strip from a white terrycloth towel soaked in either
                        a) outdoor lamp oil, b) a 50/50 combination of lamp oil and lighter
                        fluid, or c) Coleman camp fuel; wrap the terrycloth strip onto the
                        arrow shaft with wire. The arrow would be point-heavy, though.
                      • arturdubh
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                          Dave;

                          There is a picture of some specially-made arrow heads, for use
                          with "flame arrows", in the "Photos" section of the group; for some
                          reason I can't connect to the page right now, probably yet
                          another "Yahoo! glitch"... Anyway, they seem to be made of clay, with
                          a cavity similar to that of a whstling arrow, designed to break open
                          on impact. Perhaps the flammable material was shoved inside, soaked
                          with naptha (or any other substance such as kerosene), lit and sent
                          on its way.

                          In any case, they look to be extremely efficient.

                          --Artúr

                          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <gargoyle1058@...> wrote:

                          > I need any and all info that you may have on ways to make a
                          workable flaming arrow ASAP modern or otherwise for use in any type
                          of bow including crossbows. This is not for a SCA project. Thank
                          you, Gar

                        • jameswolfden
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 3, 2008
                            If you mean these ones,

                            Archery/photos/album/965722480/pic/2050126555/view?
                            picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc

                            They are Chinese whistling fire arrows from Stephen Selby's display
                            in Hong Kong. They are made of iron not clay. Oil and pitch soaked
                            cloth would be wrapped above the barbs in the arrow. The barbs would
                            prevent the flaming material from sliding back down the shaft on
                            release.

                            Here is a write up on whistling arrows from the ATARN site that also
                            includes a bit on the fire arrows.

                            http://www.atarn.org/chinese/whistle/whistle.htm

                            In Service,
                            James Wolfden

                            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "arturdubh" <nasionnaich@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Dave;
                            >
                            > There is a picture of some specially-made arrow heads, for use
                            > with "flame arrows", in the "Photos" section of the group; for
                            some
                            > reason I can't connect to the page right now, probably yet
                            > another "Yahoo! glitch"... Anyway, they seem to be made of clay,
                            with
                            > a cavity similar to that of a whstling arrow, designed to break
                            open
                            > on impact. Perhaps the flammable material was shoved inside,
                            soaked
                            > with naptha (or any other substance such as kerosene), lit and
                            sent
                            > on its way.
                            >
                            > In any case, they look to be extremely efficient.
                            >
                            > --Artúr
                            >

                            > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <gargoyle1058@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I need any and all info that you may have on ways to make a
                            > workable flaming arrow ASAP modern or otherwise for use in any
                            type
                            > of bow including crossbows. This is not for a SCA project. Thank
                            > you, Gar

                          • DavidP005
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 3, 2008
                              I use a mixture of saltpetre, as I also make my own slow matches for
                              my matchlock rifle, Pine Tar and boild linseed oil in my flaming
                              arrows. I actually use the linseed oil to cut the Pine Tar to soak a
                              piece of cloth that I bind to the arrow. I've found the saltpetre
                              helps keep the mixture going in flight.

                              Tex

                              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, 'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder

                              NCID=emlcntuswall00000001>http://www.walletpop.com/?
                              NCID=emlcntuswall00000001)

                              > --
                              >
                              > // Merry
                              >
                              > ----------
                              > "Merry" Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre AoA:071013 Torse:080906
                              > Shire of Standing Stones; Formerly: Philippe Sebastian LeLutre
                              > Christian M. Cepel --- 573.999.2370 --- Columbia, MO
                              > http://Thistledowne.org/ http://ShireOfStandingStones.org/
                              > ICQ:12384980 YIM/AOL:Bramblethorne MSN:Merry@ShireOfS.....
                              >
                              > 'Toirdhealbhach' anglicized Tirloughe (1576), modernly 'Turlough',
                              > pronounced 'TIR' or 'TUR' + 'low', 'logh', 'lock', or 'loch'

                            • arturdubh
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 3, 2008
                                Well, a person can, indeed, learn something new every day if they
                                aren't careful. :-)

                                Thanks for the correction -- and for providing it without being
                                condescending. It is difficult to discern exactly what something is
                                made of in a grainy/blurry picture. I freely admit that I was
                                guessing they were made of clay....and clay would, of course, tend to
                                break on impact.

                                Say, that does give one an idea. How about some "experimental
                                archaeology"?

                                --Artúr

                                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "jameswolfden" <jameswolfden@...>
                                wrote:

                                > If you mean these ones,

                                > Archery/photos/album/965722480/pic/2050126555/view?
                                > picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc
                                >
                                > They are Chinese whistling fire arrows from Stephen Selby's display
                                > in Hong Kong. They are made of iron not clay. Oil and pitch soaked
                                > cloth would be wrapped above the barbs in the arrow. The barbs
                                would
                                > prevent the flaming material from sliding back down the shaft on
                                > release.
                                >
                                > Here is a write up on whistling arrows from the ATARN site that
                                also
                                > includes a bit on the fire arrows.
                                >
                                > http://www.atarn.org/chinese/whistle/whistle.htm
                                >

                                > In Service,
                                > James Wolfden
                                >
                                > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "arturdubh" <nasionnaich@>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Dave;
                                > >
                                > > There is a picture of some specially-made arrow heads, for use
                                > > with "flame arrows", in the "Photos" section of the group; for
                                > some
                                > > reason I can't connect to the page right now, probably yet
                                > > another "Yahoo! glitch"... Anyway, they seem to be made of clay,
                                > with
                                > > a cavity similar to that of a whstling arrow, designed to break
                                > open
                                > > on impact. Perhaps the flammable material was shoved inside,
                                > soaked
                                > > with naptha (or any other substance such as kerosene), lit and
                                > sent
                                > > on its way.
                                > >
                                > > In any case, they look to be extremely efficient.
                                > >
                                > > --Artúr
                                > >

                                > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <gargoyle1058@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > I need any and all info that you may have on ways to make a
                                > > workable flaming arrow ASAP modern or otherwise for use in any
                                > type
                                > > of bow including crossbows. This is not for a SCA project. Thank
                                > > you, Gar

                              • Andrew
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 4, 2008
                                  I posted a picture of a "cage Fire Arrowhead" in the Miscellaneous
                                  folder in the photo section.... perhaps that might give you an Idea