Re: [SCA-Archery] flaming arrow ASAP

  • caleb@buffnet.net
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
      Dave said:
      > I need any and all info that you may have on ways to make a workable
      > flaming arrow ASAP modern or otherwise for use in any type of bow
      > including crossbows. This is not for a SCA project. Thank you, Gar

      Back when the Kevin Costner "Robin Hood: Prince of Accents" movie came
      out, the owner of one of our local archery shops/ranges was asked to
      perform the flaming arrow show to open the movie at a local drive in. We
      helped him with all that we could come up with, but nothing we tried
      worked; the flame kept going out when the shot was released.

      We tried naphtha, roofing tar, rubber cement, lantern oil, motor oil. We
      tried all sorts of fabric and sponges and we could not get anything to
      work.

      In the end Leo taped a couple of sparklers to his arrow and shot it at
      balloons filled with acetylene gas. It wasn't exactly a flaming arrow, but
      it did make a big boom and fireball.

      Caleb Reynolds
      9th Baron of the Rhydderich Hael
      from Work Land
    • Hobbe
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <gargoyle1058@...> wrote:

        > flaming arrow
        Cloth soaked in a flammable liquid (not gasoline) strapped to the front
        of the arrow, with some sort of funnel shaped wind guard in front of it.
        ~Hobbe
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/msearch?query=flaming+arrow
      • Robert Maddison
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
          check out the military channel website, there is show there called weapons
          masters that did flaming arrow off a roman scorpion. they used a cage like
          point filled with pitch. the idea may be adaptable to easier to get
          flammable materials.
          Llywyllyn

          On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 9:20 AM, Hobbe <clanyoungvp@...> wrote:

          > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com <SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > "Dave" <gargoyle1058@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > flaming arrow
          > Cloth soaked in a flammable liquid (not gasoline) strapped to the front
          > of the arrow, with some sort of funnel shaped wind guard in front of it.
          > ~Hobbe
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/msearch?query=flaming+arrow

        • Cian of Storvik
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
            Hector Cole in the UK makes a "flame cage" arrow point. Not sure of
            it's provenance, but I've heard a lot of references to them.

            Here's a pic:
            http://www.hectorcoleironwork.com/images/cage%20fire.gif

            -Cian

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Maddison" <llywylyn@...>
            wrote:

            > check out the military channel website, there is show there called
            weapons
            > masters that did flaming arrow off a roman scorpion. they used a
            cage like
            > point filled with pitch. the idea may be adaptable to easier to get
            > flammable materials.
            > Llywyllyn
          • Scott B. Jaqua
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
              Last time I did a flaming arrow it was not even shot from a bow.

              In boy scouts, to light a fire by use of a flaming arrow, we did the
              following. First we cleared a ten foot wide path through the ground
              cover. Then we rigged a mono filament slide line and an arrow with two
              eye hooks to slide down it. The tension on the mono filament line was
              maxed out (you will see why in a bit). The arrow had a rag wad wrapped
              around the point soaked in simple lighter fluid ( with salt dissolved in
              it to brighten the flame (yellow /orange sodium flare)).

              At the signal someone lit the arrow at it's high point on the line. They
              then launched it very quickly so as not to burn through the line at that
              point. The arrow traveled down the line very quickly. Likewise not
              getting any one area hot enough to burn/melt through. Once it hit the
              base of the run at the tinder for the fire , it sat still long to
              burn/melt through the line. Then the line being stretched, it snapped
              back away from the fire pit a pretty good distance. So we were able to
              recover the left over line well away from spectators. The only give away
              on the whole trick was the large cleared path to the fire pit.

              Not bad for a bunch of kids.

              Njall

              --
              Scott B. Jaqua
              Hagerson Forge
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                thats the design they used on the show,the history "expert" said it was the
                pattern used by the romans to burn out the Celts ( the ba****ds)
                Llywyllyn

                On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 10:08 AM, Cian of Storvik <firespiter@...>wrote:

                > Hector Cole in the UK makes a "flame cage" arrow point. Not sure of
                > it's provenance, but I've heard a lot of references to them.
                >
                > Here's a pic:
                > http://www.hectorcoleironwork.com/images/cage%20fire.gif
                >
                > -Cian
                >
                > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com <SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>,
                > "Robert Maddison" <llywylyn@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > check out the military channel website, there is show there called
                > weapons
                > > masters that did flaming arrow off a roman scorpion. they used a
                > cage like
                > > point filled with pitch. the idea may be adaptable to easier to get
                > > flammable materials.
                > > Llywyllyn

              • Sandra
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                  Anyone try jet feul? Maybe it will stay lit while the arrow is in
                  flight? Just a thought, never tried but then again the way gas prices
                  are it might be expensive to test. I think somewhere I read that
                  there's a small amount they put in cigarette's too (ever wonder why
                  they stay lit even in wind?) Maybe that's a myth but I don't smoke
                  either way!

                  ~Rohesia
                • blkknighti@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                    I think your thinking of Saltpetre ( potassium nitrate) which is an
                    ingredient of gunpowder and is used to make things like incense, rope and cigarettes to
                    keep these items from going out and controlling the burn. May be helpful with
                    a fire arrow....
                    Richard
                    In a message dated 10/2/08 12:34:23 PM, sandra.rangel16@... writes:

                    > Anyone try jet feul? Maybe it will stay lit while the arrow is in
                    > flight? Just a thought, never tried but then again the way gas prices
                    > are it might be expensive to test. I think somewhere I read that
                    > there's a small amount they put in cigarette's too (ever wonder why
                    > they stay lit even in wind?) Maybe that's a myth but I don't smoke
                    > either way!
                    >
                    > ~Rohesia

                  • James Koch
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                      I tend to agree regarding using saltpetre. I used to soak cotton
                      rope in a solution of saltpetre and allow it to dry to make slow
                      match. Once lit he slow match would smoulder in still air and glow
                      brightly in a strong wind. Potassium Nitrate "Chile Saltpeter" works
                      best since it is less hydrophilic than sodium nitrate. If a cloth
                      was treated with saltpetre and then soaked in naptha, once lit it
                      would difficult to blow out.

                      Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                        Heck, if you're gonna do that, why not use magnesium :) If you can
                        get it lit, you wouldn't be able to blow it out regardless.... Certainly
                        would make for an impressive flame :)

                        --

                        // Merry

                        ----------
                        "Merry" Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre AoA:071013 Torse:080906

                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                          *Angry Villager <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0048589/>*: There must be
                          another way of doing the credits.
                          *Fire Marshal <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0720890/>*: That's right.
                          Every time they make a Robin Hood movie, they burn our village down!

                          --

                          // Merry

                          ----------
                          "Merry" Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre AoA:071013 Torse:080906

                        • Adrian
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                            > Heck, if you're gonna do that, why not use magnesium :) If you
                            > can get it lit, you wouldn't be able to blow it out regardless....
                            > Certainly would make for an impressive flame :)

                            I would agree with the magnesium.

                            My suggestion: a strip from a white terrycloth towel soaked in either
                            a) outdoor lamp oil, b) a 50/50 combination of lamp oil and lighter
                            fluid, or c) Coleman camp fuel; wrap the terrycloth strip onto the
                            arrow shaft with wire. The arrow would be point-heavy, though.
                          • arturdubh
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                              Dave;

                              There is a picture of some specially-made arrow heads, for use
                              with "flame arrows", in the "Photos" section of the group; for some
                              reason I can't connect to the page right now, probably yet
                              another "Yahoo! glitch"... Anyway, they seem to be made of clay, with
                              a cavity similar to that of a whstling arrow, designed to break open
                              on impact. Perhaps the flammable material was shoved inside, soaked
                              with naptha (or any other substance such as kerosene), lit and sent
                              on its way.

                              In any case, they look to be extremely efficient.

                              --Artúr

                              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <gargoyle1058@...> wrote:

                              > I need any and all info that you may have on ways to make a
                              workable flaming arrow ASAP modern or otherwise for use in any type
                              of bow including crossbows. This is not for a SCA project. Thank
                              you, Gar

                            • jameswolfden
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 3, 2008
                                If you mean these ones,

                                Archery/photos/album/965722480/pic/2050126555/view?
                                picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc

                                They are Chinese whistling fire arrows from Stephen Selby's display
                                in Hong Kong. They are made of iron not clay. Oil and pitch soaked
                                cloth would be wrapped above the barbs in the arrow. The barbs would
                                prevent the flaming material from sliding back down the shaft on
                                release.

                                Here is a write up on whistling arrows from the ATARN site that also
                                includes a bit on the fire arrows.

                                http://www.atarn.org/chinese/whistle/whistle.htm

                                In Service,
                                James Wolfden

                                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "arturdubh" <nasionnaich@...>
                                wrote:

                                > Dave;
                                >
                                > There is a picture of some specially-made arrow heads, for use
                                > with "flame arrows", in the "Photos" section of the group; for
                                some
                                > reason I can't connect to the page right now, probably yet
                                > another "Yahoo! glitch"... Anyway, they seem to be made of clay,
                                with
                                > a cavity similar to that of a whstling arrow, designed to break
                                open
                                > on impact. Perhaps the flammable material was shoved inside,
                                soaked
                                > with naptha (or any other substance such as kerosene), lit and
                                sent
                                > on its way.
                                >
                                > In any case, they look to be extremely efficient.
                                >
                                > --Artúr
                                >

                                > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <gargoyle1058@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I need any and all info that you may have on ways to make a
                                > workable flaming arrow ASAP modern or otherwise for use in any
                                type
                                > of bow including crossbows. This is not for a SCA project. Thank
                                > you, Gar

                              • DavidP005
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 3, 2008
                                  I use a mixture of saltpetre, as I also make my own slow matches for
                                  my matchlock rifle, Pine Tar and boild linseed oil in my flaming
                                  arrows. I actually use the linseed oil to cut the Pine Tar to soak a
                                  piece of cloth that I bind to the arrow. I've found the saltpetre
                                  helps keep the mixture going in flight.

                                  Tex

                                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, 'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder

                                  NCID=emlcntuswall00000001>http://www.walletpop.com/?
                                  NCID=emlcntuswall00000001)

                                  > --
                                  >
                                  > // Merry
                                  >
                                  > ----------
                                  > "Merry" Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre AoA:071013 Torse:080906
                                  > Shire of Standing Stones; Formerly: Philippe Sebastian LeLutre
                                  > Christian M. Cepel --- 573.999.2370 --- Columbia, MO
                                  > http://Thistledowne.org/ http://ShireOfStandingStones.org/
                                  > ICQ:12384980 YIM/AOL:Bramblethorne MSN:Merry@ShireOfS.....
                                  >
                                  > 'Toirdhealbhach' anglicized Tirloughe (1576), modernly 'Turlough',
                                  > pronounced 'TIR' or 'TUR' + 'low', 'logh', 'lock', or 'loch'

                                • arturdubh
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 3, 2008
                                    Well, a person can, indeed, learn something new every day if they
                                    aren't careful. :-)

                                    Thanks for the correction -- and for providing it without being
                                    condescending. It is difficult to discern exactly what something is
                                    made of in a grainy/blurry picture. I freely admit that I was
                                    guessing they were made of clay....and clay would, of course, tend to
                                    break on impact.

                                    Say, that does give one an idea. How about some "experimental
                                    archaeology"?

                                    --Artúr

                                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "jameswolfden" <jameswolfden@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > If you mean these ones,

                                    > Archery/photos/album/965722480/pic/2050126555/view?
                                    > picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc
                                    >
                                    > They are Chinese whistling fire arrows from Stephen Selby's display
                                    > in Hong Kong. They are made of iron not clay. Oil and pitch soaked
                                    > cloth would be wrapped above the barbs in the arrow. The barbs
                                    would
                                    > prevent the flaming material from sliding back down the shaft on
                                    > release.
                                    >
                                    > Here is a write up on whistling arrows from the ATARN site that
                                    also
                                    > includes a bit on the fire arrows.
                                    >
                                    > http://www.atarn.org/chinese/whistle/whistle.htm
                                    >

                                    > In Service,
                                    > James Wolfden
                                    >
                                    > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "arturdubh" <nasionnaich@>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Dave;
                                    > >
                                    > > There is a picture of some specially-made arrow heads, for use
                                    > > with "flame arrows", in the "Photos" section of the group; for
                                    > some
                                    > > reason I can't connect to the page right now, probably yet
                                    > > another "Yahoo! glitch"... Anyway, they seem to be made of clay,
                                    > with
                                    > > a cavity similar to that of a whstling arrow, designed to break
                                    > open
                                    > > on impact. Perhaps the flammable material was shoved inside,
                                    > soaked
                                    > > with naptha (or any other substance such as kerosene), lit and
                                    > sent
                                    > > on its way.
                                    > >
                                    > > In any case, they look to be extremely efficient.
                                    > >
                                    > > --Artúr
                                    > >

                                    > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <gargoyle1058@> wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I need any and all info that you may have on ways to make a
                                    > > workable flaming arrow ASAP modern or otherwise for use in any
                                    > type
                                    > > of bow including crossbows. This is not for a SCA project. Thank
                                    > > you, Gar

                                  • Andrew
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 4, 2008
                                      I posted a picture of a "cage Fire Arrowhead" in the Miscellaneous
                                      folder in the photo section.... perhaps that might give you an Idea