flaming arrow ASAP

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
      I need any and all info that you may have on ways to make a workable flaming arrow ASAP modern or otherwise for use in any type of bow including crossbows. This is not for a SCA project. Thank you, Gar
    • caleb@buffnet.net
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
        Dave said:
        > I need any and all info that you may have on ways to make a workable
        > flaming arrow ASAP modern or otherwise for use in any type of bow
        > including crossbows. This is not for a SCA project. Thank you, Gar

        Back when the Kevin Costner "Robin Hood: Prince of Accents" movie came
        out, the owner of one of our local archery shops/ranges was asked to
        perform the flaming arrow show to open the movie at a local drive in. We
        helped him with all that we could come up with, but nothing we tried
        worked; the flame kept going out when the shot was released.

        We tried naphtha, roofing tar, rubber cement, lantern oil, motor oil. We
        tried all sorts of fabric and sponges and we could not get anything to
        work.

        In the end Leo taped a couple of sparklers to his arrow and shot it at
        balloons filled with acetylene gas. It wasn't exactly a flaming arrow, but
        it did make a big boom and fireball.

        Caleb Reynolds
        9th Baron of the Rhydderich Hael
        from Work Land
      • Hobbe
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <gargoyle1058@...> wrote:

          > flaming arrow
          Cloth soaked in a flammable liquid (not gasoline) strapped to the front
          of the arrow, with some sort of funnel shaped wind guard in front of it.
          ~Hobbe
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/msearch?query=flaming+arrow
        • Robert Maddison
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
            check out the military channel website, there is show there called weapons
            masters that did flaming arrow off a roman scorpion. they used a cage like
            point filled with pitch. the idea may be adaptable to easier to get
            flammable materials.
            Llywyllyn

            On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 9:20 AM, Hobbe <clanyoungvp@...> wrote:

            > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com <SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > "Dave" <gargoyle1058@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > flaming arrow
            > Cloth soaked in a flammable liquid (not gasoline) strapped to the front
            > of the arrow, with some sort of funnel shaped wind guard in front of it.
            > ~Hobbe
            > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/msearch?query=flaming+arrow

          • Cian of Storvik
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
              Hector Cole in the UK makes a "flame cage" arrow point. Not sure of
              it's provenance, but I've heard a lot of references to them.

              Here's a pic:
              http://www.hectorcoleironwork.com/images/cage%20fire.gif

              -Cian

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Maddison" <llywylyn@...>
              wrote:

              > check out the military channel website, there is show there called
              weapons
              > masters that did flaming arrow off a roman scorpion. they used a
              cage like
              > point filled with pitch. the idea may be adaptable to easier to get
              > flammable materials.
              > Llywyllyn
            • Scott B. Jaqua
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                Last time I did a flaming arrow it was not even shot from a bow.

                In boy scouts, to light a fire by use of a flaming arrow, we did the
                following. First we cleared a ten foot wide path through the ground
                cover. Then we rigged a mono filament slide line and an arrow with two
                eye hooks to slide down it. The tension on the mono filament line was
                maxed out (you will see why in a bit). The arrow had a rag wad wrapped
                around the point soaked in simple lighter fluid ( with salt dissolved in
                it to brighten the flame (yellow /orange sodium flare)).

                At the signal someone lit the arrow at it's high point on the line. They
                then launched it very quickly so as not to burn through the line at that
                point. The arrow traveled down the line very quickly. Likewise not
                getting any one area hot enough to burn/melt through. Once it hit the
                base of the run at the tinder for the fire , it sat still long to
                burn/melt through the line. Then the line being stretched, it snapped
                back away from the fire pit a pretty good distance. So we were able to
                recover the left over line well away from spectators. The only give away
                on the whole trick was the large cleared path to the fire pit.

                Not bad for a bunch of kids.

                Njall

                --
                Scott B. Jaqua
                Hagerson Forge
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                  thats the design they used on the show,the history "expert" said it was the
                  pattern used by the romans to burn out the Celts ( the ba****ds)
                  Llywyllyn

                  On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 10:08 AM, Cian of Storvik <firespiter@...>wrote:

                  > Hector Cole in the UK makes a "flame cage" arrow point. Not sure of
                  > it's provenance, but I've heard a lot of references to them.
                  >
                  > Here's a pic:
                  > http://www.hectorcoleironwork.com/images/cage%20fire.gif
                  >
                  > -Cian
                  >
                  > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com <SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>,
                  > "Robert Maddison" <llywylyn@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > check out the military channel website, there is show there called
                  > weapons
                  > > masters that did flaming arrow off a roman scorpion. they used a
                  > cage like
                  > > point filled with pitch. the idea may be adaptable to easier to get
                  > > flammable materials.
                  > > Llywyllyn

                • Sandra
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                    Anyone try jet feul? Maybe it will stay lit while the arrow is in
                    flight? Just a thought, never tried but then again the way gas prices
                    are it might be expensive to test. I think somewhere I read that
                    there's a small amount they put in cigarette's too (ever wonder why
                    they stay lit even in wind?) Maybe that's a myth but I don't smoke
                    either way!

                    ~Rohesia
                  • blkknighti@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                      I think your thinking of Saltpetre ( potassium nitrate) which is an
                      ingredient of gunpowder and is used to make things like incense, rope and cigarettes to
                      keep these items from going out and controlling the burn. May be helpful with
                      a fire arrow....
                      Richard
                      In a message dated 10/2/08 12:34:23 PM, sandra.rangel16@... writes:

                      > Anyone try jet feul? Maybe it will stay lit while the arrow is in
                      > flight? Just a thought, never tried but then again the way gas prices
                      > are it might be expensive to test. I think somewhere I read that
                      > there's a small amount they put in cigarette's too (ever wonder why
                      > they stay lit even in wind?) Maybe that's a myth but I don't smoke
                      > either way!
                      >
                      > ~Rohesia

                    • James Koch
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                        I tend to agree regarding using saltpetre. I used to soak cotton
                        rope in a solution of saltpetre and allow it to dry to make slow
                        match. Once lit he slow match would smoulder in still air and glow
                        brightly in a strong wind. Potassium Nitrate "Chile Saltpeter" works
                        best since it is less hydrophilic than sodium nitrate. If a cloth
                        was treated with saltpetre and then soaked in naptha, once lit it
                        would difficult to blow out.

                        Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                          Heck, if you're gonna do that, why not use magnesium :) If you can
                          get it lit, you wouldn't be able to blow it out regardless.... Certainly
                          would make for an impressive flame :)

                          --

                          // Merry

                          ----------
                          "Merry" Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre AoA:071013 Torse:080906

                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                            *Angry Villager <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0048589/>*: There must be
                            another way of doing the credits.
                            *Fire Marshal <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0720890/>*: That's right.
                            Every time they make a Robin Hood movie, they burn our village down!

                            --

                            // Merry

                            ----------
                            "Merry" Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre AoA:071013 Torse:080906

                          • Adrian
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                              > Heck, if you're gonna do that, why not use magnesium :) If you
                              > can get it lit, you wouldn't be able to blow it out regardless....
                              > Certainly would make for an impressive flame :)

                              I would agree with the magnesium.

                              My suggestion: a strip from a white terrycloth towel soaked in either
                              a) outdoor lamp oil, b) a 50/50 combination of lamp oil and lighter
                              fluid, or c) Coleman camp fuel; wrap the terrycloth strip onto the
                              arrow shaft with wire. The arrow would be point-heavy, though.
                            • arturdubh
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                                Dave;

                                There is a picture of some specially-made arrow heads, for use
                                with "flame arrows", in the "Photos" section of the group; for some
                                reason I can't connect to the page right now, probably yet
                                another "Yahoo! glitch"... Anyway, they seem to be made of clay, with
                                a cavity similar to that of a whstling arrow, designed to break open
                                on impact. Perhaps the flammable material was shoved inside, soaked
                                with naptha (or any other substance such as kerosene), lit and sent
                                on its way.

                                In any case, they look to be extremely efficient.

                                --Artúr

                                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <gargoyle1058@...> wrote:

                                > I need any and all info that you may have on ways to make a
                                workable flaming arrow ASAP modern or otherwise for use in any type
                                of bow including crossbows. This is not for a SCA project. Thank
                                you, Gar

                              • jameswolfden
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 3, 2008
                                  If you mean these ones,

                                  Archery/photos/album/965722480/pic/2050126555/view?
                                  picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc

                                  They are Chinese whistling fire arrows from Stephen Selby's display
                                  in Hong Kong. They are made of iron not clay. Oil and pitch soaked
                                  cloth would be wrapped above the barbs in the arrow. The barbs would
                                  prevent the flaming material from sliding back down the shaft on
                                  release.

                                  Here is a write up on whistling arrows from the ATARN site that also
                                  includes a bit on the fire arrows.

                                  http://www.atarn.org/chinese/whistle/whistle.htm

                                  In Service,
                                  James Wolfden

                                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "arturdubh" <nasionnaich@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > Dave;
                                  >
                                  > There is a picture of some specially-made arrow heads, for use
                                  > with "flame arrows", in the "Photos" section of the group; for
                                  some
                                  > reason I can't connect to the page right now, probably yet
                                  > another "Yahoo! glitch"... Anyway, they seem to be made of clay,
                                  with
                                  > a cavity similar to that of a whstling arrow, designed to break
                                  open
                                  > on impact. Perhaps the flammable material was shoved inside,
                                  soaked
                                  > with naptha (or any other substance such as kerosene), lit and
                                  sent
                                  > on its way.
                                  >
                                  > In any case, they look to be extremely efficient.
                                  >
                                  > --Artúr
                                  >

                                  > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <gargoyle1058@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > I need any and all info that you may have on ways to make a
                                  > workable flaming arrow ASAP modern or otherwise for use in any
                                  type
                                  > of bow including crossbows. This is not for a SCA project. Thank
                                  > you, Gar

                                • DavidP005
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 3, 2008
                                    I use a mixture of saltpetre, as I also make my own slow matches for
                                    my matchlock rifle, Pine Tar and boild linseed oil in my flaming
                                    arrows. I actually use the linseed oil to cut the Pine Tar to soak a
                                    piece of cloth that I bind to the arrow. I've found the saltpetre
                                    helps keep the mixture going in flight.

                                    Tex

                                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, 'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder

                                    NCID=emlcntuswall00000001>http://www.walletpop.com/?
                                    NCID=emlcntuswall00000001)

                                    > --
                                    >
                                    > // Merry
                                    >
                                    > ----------
                                    > "Merry" Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre AoA:071013 Torse:080906
                                    > Shire of Standing Stones; Formerly: Philippe Sebastian LeLutre
                                    > Christian M. Cepel --- 573.999.2370 --- Columbia, MO
                                    > http://Thistledowne.org/ http://ShireOfStandingStones.org/
                                    > ICQ:12384980 YIM/AOL:Bramblethorne MSN:Merry@ShireOfS.....
                                    >
                                    > 'Toirdhealbhach' anglicized Tirloughe (1576), modernly 'Turlough',
                                    > pronounced 'TIR' or 'TUR' + 'low', 'logh', 'lock', or 'loch'

                                  • arturdubh
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 3, 2008
                                      Well, a person can, indeed, learn something new every day if they
                                      aren't careful. :-)

                                      Thanks for the correction -- and for providing it without being
                                      condescending. It is difficult to discern exactly what something is
                                      made of in a grainy/blurry picture. I freely admit that I was
                                      guessing they were made of clay....and clay would, of course, tend to
                                      break on impact.

                                      Say, that does give one an idea. How about some "experimental
                                      archaeology"?

                                      --Artúr

                                      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "jameswolfden" <jameswolfden@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > If you mean these ones,

                                      > Archery/photos/album/965722480/pic/2050126555/view?
                                      > picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc
                                      >
                                      > They are Chinese whistling fire arrows from Stephen Selby's display
                                      > in Hong Kong. They are made of iron not clay. Oil and pitch soaked
                                      > cloth would be wrapped above the barbs in the arrow. The barbs
                                      would
                                      > prevent the flaming material from sliding back down the shaft on
                                      > release.
                                      >
                                      > Here is a write up on whistling arrows from the ATARN site that
                                      also
                                      > includes a bit on the fire arrows.
                                      >
                                      > http://www.atarn.org/chinese/whistle/whistle.htm
                                      >

                                      > In Service,
                                      > James Wolfden
                                      >
                                      > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "arturdubh" <nasionnaich@>
                                      > wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Dave;
                                      > >
                                      > > There is a picture of some specially-made arrow heads, for use
                                      > > with "flame arrows", in the "Photos" section of the group; for
                                      > some
                                      > > reason I can't connect to the page right now, probably yet
                                      > > another "Yahoo! glitch"... Anyway, they seem to be made of clay,
                                      > with
                                      > > a cavity similar to that of a whstling arrow, designed to break
                                      > open
                                      > > on impact. Perhaps the flammable material was shoved inside,
                                      > soaked
                                      > > with naptha (or any other substance such as kerosene), lit and
                                      > sent
                                      > > on its way.
                                      > >
                                      > > In any case, they look to be extremely efficient.
                                      > >
                                      > > --Artúr
                                      > >

                                      > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <gargoyle1058@> wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > I need any and all info that you may have on ways to make a
                                      > > workable flaming arrow ASAP modern or otherwise for use in any
                                      > type
                                      > > of bow including crossbows. This is not for a SCA project. Thank
                                      > > you, Gar

                                    • Andrew
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Oct 4, 2008
                                        I posted a picture of a "cage Fire Arrowhead" in the Miscellaneous
                                        folder in the photo section.... perhaps that might give you an Idea