Re: [SCA-Archery] Question about the technique of holding arrows in thebowhan...

  • atruemark@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 24, 2008
      I routinely shoot with a bare thumb on medium weight bows...that would be in
      the 40-50 lb range. I prefer this technique off my Grozer asymmetric limb
      hun bow because of its length, but have done it off shorter bows as well. I
      haven't even come close to mastering the arrows in the bow hand technique, but
      already I can tell you it's wicked quick.

      A quick check of my sources doesn't reveal anything period for the arrow
      holding technique, but I'll continue to look into it.

      Andras

    • jameswolfden
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 25, 2008
        There are numerous period illustrations for Western European archers
        shooting longbows with the arrows held in the bowhand. I have tried
        it but can only seem to hold about three arrows comfortably. I found
        I could get those arrows off faster then I could from a hip quiver
        once I trained myself out of reaching for arrows in the hip quiver.
        But since there was still time left in the timed end, I would have
        to go back to the hip quiver and now the brain was getting mixed
        signals and the body was confused. Overall speed was about the same
        as just going with a hip qiver.

        I think Kassai shoots with a three finger release and not a thumb
        release. Here is video from Youtube that I found interesting with
        regards to the comments about spectators being close the target. Try
        to get this approved by your Kingdom Archery Marshall.

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZJjsVvqofA&feature=related

        James

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, atruemark@... wrote:

        > I routinely shoot with a bare thumb on medium weight bows...that
        would be in
        > the 40-50 lb range. I prefer this technique off my Grozer
        asymmetric limb
        > hun bow because of its length, but have done it off shorter bows
        as well. I
        > haven't even come close to mastering the arrows in the bow hand
        technique, but
        > already I can tell you it's wicked quick.
        >
        > A quick check of my sources doesn't reveal anything period for the
        arrow
        > holding technique, but I'll continue to look into it.
        >
        > Andras
        >

        > **************Looking for simple solutions to your real-life
        financial
        > challenges? Check out WalletPop for the latest news and
        information, tips and
        > calculators. (http://www.walletpop.com/?
        NCID=emlcntuswall00000001)

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 25, 2008
          Thanks to William for the pronunciation, and yes indeed James, I've
          heard that Kassai uses Mediterraneans draw over thumb draw.

          A good video but I liken it to knife throwers throwing at the lovely
          assistants at carnivals and circuses. These people make a career out of
          what most of us only do a few times a month, and like with aerial
          acrobats, the dangers are more perceived by the public who usually
          doesn't see the protections that are in place and who don't realize the
          degree to which many of the dangers are eliminated by practicing until
          they can do it in their sleep. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that
          Kassai is using a very light weight draw, special targets and special
          arrow heads to minimize injury, but then I also wouldn't be surprised to
          find out he didn't... I've read part of his book and he is quite
          possibly the most arrogant person I've ever come across (justified or not).

          *COSMO, THE FAIRLY ACCURATE KNIFE THROWER*
          *by
          Les Barker**
          ******
          *****

          * **Roll up, roll up... cried the Ringmaster
          See the man on the flying trapeze
          The one we've just fitted with elastic
          That's him, over there... in the trees.

          "Where's Cosmo, the fairly accurate knife thrower?"
          The girl with the baby said
          Her name was Lucille, they knew Cosmo'd know her
          She still had a knife in her head.

          "He's back there in the procession." said the Ringmaster
          Pointing to an old, half timbered Morris
          It's Cosmo, the fairly accurate knife thrower
          And his lovely assistant, Doris.

          Lucille stormed up to him in anger
          Gave him the baby, he didn't resist
          Shamed by the memory of the night she conceived
          He'd aimed for her sister... and missed.

          Little did she know that the child Cosmo gained
          On that morning's Morris Traveller ride
          Would become the world famous stunt man
          'Evil Shameevil' and his Yammershitty 1- 2- 5

          He grew up a child of the circus
          Rode the Big Dipper, The Dodgems, The Ghost Train
          With 'Cosmo, The Fairly Accurate Knife Thrower'
          And his lovely assistant, Elaine.

          Once upon a time, they kept marine mammals
          But everyone was agin' it
          And now the pool stands empty
          There isn't any porpoise in it.

          Evil set the animals free
          'Cos that's what he knew they would wish
          You can't keep animals in cages, these days
          And it never worked that well with the fish.

          And soon he was the star of the circus
          The Morris Traveller still travelling on
          **With 'Cosmo, The Fairly Accurate Knife Thrower'
          And his lovely assistant, Yvonne.**

          Poor Cosmo was on the decline
          He was hitting the 'Boddingtons' Loopy Juice
          And in one afternoon... hit two lovely assistants
          Fourpassers by and a migrating Canada Goose.

          But his circus was making a fortune
          And the audiences willingly paid it
          To see Evil leap over thirty 'National Front' members
          And cheered when he never quite made it.

          And before he got out of the ring
          The next act would kill two or three
          **It was 'Cosmo, The Fairly Accurate Knife Thrower'
          And his lovely assistant, Marie.**

          And the climax of Evil's career
          Was announced with fanfare and fuss
          He'd leap over 42 motor bikes
          In a corporation, double decker bus.

          It was on the 1- 8- 9 to stockport
          That Evil set out after his dream
          Drove at Seventy five miles an hour down Wellington Road North
          Towards the 'Little Sisters of the Poor' formation motor bike team.

          Some say the big lady on the back seat stood up
          But they found a puncture in the front wheel
          And a knife enscribed,
          * *"To Cosmo, **The Fairly Accurate Knife Thrower'
          From his lovely assistant, Lucille.*

          --

          // Merry

          "Merry" Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre AoA:071013 Torse:080906