Re: [SCA-Archery] Authorizations and ethics

  • eulenhorst@rosesandivy.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 23, 2008
      I tend to think of this subject not as ethics but courtesy. While I can deal with considerable
      disturbance on the line a prefer a moderate and respectful level of noise. Yes, we often have bad puns
      and other comments between archers in practice and conversation at competition but is is not raucus.

      Allow me to share a non-SCA moment give some perspective. In 1984 the Olympic Archery event was a double
      FITA over four days with 4000 spectators at any given time. FITA rules stipulate a hushed and
      reverential silence on the field. Now, you're just not going to get that with 4000 members of the
      public, many of whom have never seen archery before, but one tries. On the second day, national cheers
      (particularly for the USA and Korea) began. The announcers tried to quiet the crowd with some success.
      Before long archers from many countries were sending the message back, "Let it go, we don't often get a
      cheering section!". And so it was, not a complaint from the line - archer, coach, or chef-de-mission.
      The spectators responded by keeping the noise to a dull roar when the archers were actively shooting but
      cut loose while the flights changed and arrows retrieved. Just a fond memory from my past.
      Carolus

      On Tue Sep 23 9:54 , 'John and Carol Atkins' <cogworks@...> sent: