Re: Spine weight of footed shafts?

  • logantheboweyder
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2008
      If the FOC is not changed, it shouldn't need to be. Most of the flex
      of the arrow is towards the center of the shaft.

      If you're shooting arrows with a hardwood foreshaft that is denser
      than your shafting material, you may need a slightly stiffer spine, or
      a lighter tip. If you're shooting with a hardwood insert as a nock
      reinforcer, it is less critical. Of course, all the calculations for
      shaft spine are approximations, and should be tested on the range
      before making up a batch of highly matched arrows.

      Logan
      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Kean Gryffyth" <kad.dsl@...>
      wrote:

      > I've got a question about using footed shafts:
      >
      > If a bow with a draw weight of X usually uses shafts spined at Y to
      X,
      > what, if any, adjustment should be made when using a footed shaft?
      > Should the spine be adjusted up? down? not a all?
      >
      > -Kean

    • Ko
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2008
        I think the FOC will change in this case. Its like adding a heavier
        weight to the front of the arrow, weakening the spine. You can either
        reduce the weight of the tip, or make the arrow shorter.

        Unfortunately that still does not address the problem of the actual
        grain weight of the arrow, which will now be heavier unless you
        reduced the weight of the tip enough to balance that out.

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "logantheboweyder"