Re: [SCA-Archery] Spine weight of footed shafts?

  • Scott B. Jaqua
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2008
      Depending on the length of the footing, it would require minimal
      adjustment of the spine, if at all.

      The biggest impact of a footing is in changing the balance, not the
      spine. A footed shaft moves the balance forward. In period this resulted
      in a less metal being used. metal was much more expensive then the wood
      and labor to foot a shaft. So what we see as a wonderful artistic touch,
      in period was a simple case of economics (sigh!)

      Njall

      --
      Scott B. Jaqua
      Hagerson Forge
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2008
        If the FOC is not changed, it shouldn't need to be. Most of the flex
        of the arrow is towards the center of the shaft.

        If you're shooting arrows with a hardwood foreshaft that is denser
        than your shafting material, you may need a slightly stiffer spine, or
        a lighter tip. If you're shooting with a hardwood insert as a nock
        reinforcer, it is less critical. Of course, all the calculations for
        shaft spine are approximations, and should be tested on the range
        before making up a batch of highly matched arrows.

        Logan
        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Kean Gryffyth" <kad.dsl@...>
        wrote:

        > I've got a question about using footed shafts:
        >
        > If a bow with a draw weight of X usually uses shafts spined at Y to
        X,
        > what, if any, adjustment should be made when using a footed shaft?
        > Should the spine be adjusted up? down? not a all?
        >
        > -Kean

      • Ko
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 4, 2008
          I think the FOC will change in this case. Its like adding a heavier
          weight to the front of the arrow, weakening the spine. You can either
          reduce the weight of the tip, or make the arrow shorter.

          Unfortunately that still does not address the problem of the actual
          grain weight of the arrow, which will now be heavier unless you
          reduced the weight of the tip enough to balance that out.

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "logantheboweyder"