Spine weight of footed shafts?

  • Kean Gryffyth
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2008
      I've got a question about using footed shafts:

      If a bow with a draw weight of X usually uses shafts spined at Y to X,
      what, if any, adjustment should be made when using a footed shaft?
      Should the spine be adjusted up? down? not a all?

      -Kean
    • Scott B. Jaqua
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2008
        Depending on the length of the footing, it would require minimal
        adjustment of the spine, if at all.

        The biggest impact of a footing is in changing the balance, not the
        spine. A footed shaft moves the balance forward. In period this resulted
        in a less metal being used. metal was much more expensive then the wood
        and labor to foot a shaft. So what we see as a wonderful artistic touch,
        in period was a simple case of economics (sigh!)

        Njall

        --
        Scott B. Jaqua
        Hagerson Forge
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2008
          If the FOC is not changed, it shouldn't need to be. Most of the flex
          of the arrow is towards the center of the shaft.

          If you're shooting arrows with a hardwood foreshaft that is denser
          than your shafting material, you may need a slightly stiffer spine, or
          a lighter tip. If you're shooting with a hardwood insert as a nock
          reinforcer, it is less critical. Of course, all the calculations for
          shaft spine are approximations, and should be tested on the range
          before making up a batch of highly matched arrows.

          Logan
          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Kean Gryffyth" <kad.dsl@...>
          wrote:

          > I've got a question about using footed shafts:
          >
          > If a bow with a draw weight of X usually uses shafts spined at Y to
          X,
          > what, if any, adjustment should be made when using a footed shaft?
          > Should the spine be adjusted up? down? not a all?
          >
          > -Kean

        • Ko
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 4, 2008
            I think the FOC will change in this case. Its like adding a heavier
            weight to the front of the arrow, weakening the spine. You can either
            reduce the weight of the tip, or make the arrow shorter.

            Unfortunately that still does not address the problem of the actual
            grain weight of the arrow, which will now be heavier unless you
            reduced the weight of the tip enough to balance that out.

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "logantheboweyder"