Re: Wands

  • jameswolfden
    Message 1 of 51 , Sep 3 2:13 PM
      While doing research on period archery, I often get the idea that we
      are misrepresenting the wand shoot. While I can't find anything
      specific on the shoot, I am starting to infer from my reading that
      the wand was not a stick stuck in the ground but a small stick (3"
      or so) that was sharpened and used to fix the mark onto the butt or
      hang awreath from. A medieval golf tee so to speak. Splitting the
      wand, just meant hitting the peg and, presumably, the exact centre
      of a mark target.

      Not that I mind our version of a wand shoot.

      James

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Tom Pilcher <tpilcher@...> wrote:

      > It is always about the 'feel' of the shoot being more and more
      medieval to us. I can easily imagine period archers grabbing a
      stick, sticking it in the ground and shooting at it.

      > James Llewellyn ap Gruffydd

    • NtxDvr
      Message 51 of 51 , Sep 9 11:07 AM
        Pillaged Village is also close to Dayton OH - maybe they can do it for you?