Shooting at stuff........

  • Tom Pilcher
    Message 1 of 51 , Sep 3, 2008
      Funny you should mention that.. :-)

      At this years Baronial Archery championship in Seagirt in August, the final round was a shoot at an armoured (maille shirt) effigy including an SCA helmet.

      There was much discussion regarding not wanting to ruin someone's arrows. The coordinator then offered a bucket of 'loaner' arrows for those who did not want to use their own.
      Of the five finalists, three chose to use the loaner arrows. The other two decided that the loss of accuracy with borrowed arrows was not worth the risk since it was a single-shot elimination final and opted to use their own arrows.

      To advance you needed to embed your arrow 3 inches into the 'meat' of the effigy, whether it be body or head (through the eye slot). Many of the archers felt that at 30 yds they might not be able to penetrate the butted-maille enough. All three of the 'loaner arrow' archers missed and each and every one regretted the choice instantly. All five archers are now convinced that using your own arrows would be better in future shoots. One that hit put his arrow into the neck just below the helm (carotid artery area) and I opted for dead center of the mass hoping to penetrate enough with my 35# bow. My arrow went almost 6 inches in, spreading 6 ot 7 links and causing no damage to my arrow.

      And although novelty shoots are becoming more and more prevalent, I am also finding that the skill level needed to win, as well as more and more strategy, is becoming more important too and luck less a factor as it had been.

      Looking forward to Tir Righ Coronet and spending time at the range this weekend.

      James (no the other one) Llewellyn ap Gruffydd, Op

      Message 51 of 51 , Sep 9, 2008
        Pillaged Village is also close to Dayton OH - maybe they can do it for you?