Re: Nocks

  • Giovanni dell'Arco
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 4, 2000
      I wrote the following excerpt for an On Target Online article regarding the
      need for an archery guild. You can find the full article at
      http://www.dellarco.com/ontarget/frames/quiver_frame.html, then click on
      "There's More to Archery Than Scores."

      "I began to look at the SCA and my role in it. What was I doing that
      couldn't be done in mundane clothing with a traditional archery club? Was I
      taking full advantage of my SCA experiences, the few I allowed myself off
      the range? No, I wasn't. I'm a history major at Seattle University with a
      future goal of being a high school history teacher. I love history,
      especially the history of the bow. Here I belonged to a medieval re-creation
      group with others interested in the history of the bow and yet there was no
      real movement towards consolidating our knowledge."

      Period nocks (self, hardwood, bone, etc.), I feel, are a simple, but
      important, step in the right direction to distinguish ourselves from mundane
      traditional archers and to learn hands-on the techniques we claim to keep
      alive as SCA archers. The next step could be cutting your own fletching or
      twisting your own string. Then we might try our hand at making your own bow
      or crossbow stock. The important thing is taking that first step.
      Otherwise, the only difference between us and mundane traditional archers is
      the garb.

      Giovanni--->

    • skyecal@blazenet.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 17, 2001
        Greetings!

        I'm in the process of making my fourth & fifth dozen arrows. I'm
        using plastic nocks on these in order to get these done quickly,
        running out of time. I normally make self-nocks.

        I'm running into problems with the taper tool. It seems to chew the
        wood up a bit further than the nock covers. Is this normal? Should
        the end of the arrow go completely up into the nock? I have a tiny
        bit of space at the top. (They are white, so I can see through them
        when I hold them up to the light.) I need to make sure I have extra
        arrows for an upcoming archery event in Aethelmarc. One suggestion I
        received was to use plenty of glue. Just want to make sure that I
        cover all my bases on this. Thanks for any help, suggestions, etc.

        Lady Rhianna of AElfwine
        Shire of Owl's Reste
      • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 17, 2001
          Personally, this seems to be a fairly common 'problem' so to
          speak. Although I've never seen it as a problem.

          There are variations in taper tools, and in the taper of a nock
          itself. Fairly often, they just don't quite line up.

          Just make sure that your nock goes on straight, and don't worry about it :)

          As long as it seats well, that's what matters, whether the taper is too
          'short' (doesn't fill to the tip), or too 'long' (Leaves a little bit of
          taper showing below the nock.)

          Siegfried

          At 09:40 PM 4/17/2001 +0000, you wrote:
          >Greetings!
          >
          >I'm in the process of making my fourth & fifth dozen arrows. I'm
          >using plastic nocks on these in order to get these done quickly,
          >running out of time. I normally make self-nocks.
          >
          >I'm running into problems with the taper tool. It seems to chew the
          >wood up a bit further than the nock covers. Is this normal? Should
          >the end of the arrow go completely up into the nock? I have a tiny
          >bit of space at the top. (They are white, so I can see through them
          >when I hold them up to the light.) I need to make sure I have extra
          >arrows for an upcoming archery event in Aethelmarc. One suggestion I
          >received was to use plenty of glue. Just want to make sure that I
          >cover all my bases on this. Thanks for any help, suggestions, etc.
          >
          >Lady Rhianna of AElfwine
          >Shire of Owl's Reste

          >Brought to you eGroups Ad Free in 2001 by Baron Bows

          Lord Siegfried Sebastian Faust Baronial Web Minister & Archery Marshal
        • Carl (checking home mail from work)
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 17, 2001
            skyecal@... wrote:

            > I'm running into problems with the taper tool. It seems to chew the
            > wood up a bit further than the nock covers. Is this normal?

            This suggests to me that the nocks are a little smaller in diameter than
            the shafts. Having them the same would be nice but more important is
            that they fit the string and are on straight.

            >...Should
            > the end of the arrow go completely up into the nock?

            'Most of the way' is good enough.

            -- Fritz
          • Susan Kell
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 17, 2001
              Greetings, Rhianna -

              This is a silly question, but was the tool you used set to do the "right"
              taper? Most tools have different cylinders for the different common
              diameters of shafting (or they are completely separate tools) *and* the
              taper for a nock (5 degrees) is different from the taper for a point (11
              degrees). If your tool has applied the right angle of taper to the
              expected diameter of shaft, it is possible that the nocks you're using have
              somewhat deeper openings in them than standard.

              As others have already replied, if the nock ends up securely glued to the
              shaft you should be fine. If the "gap" prevents a good bond, you will have
              problems. If a bit of raw, tapered wood shows below the otherwise secure
              nock, that's just a cosmetic issue.

              Regarding the taper tool "chewing" the wood, this is a common problem, and
              in my experience two things help: (1) use a fresh, sharp blade and (2) do
              your tapering after applying the seal coat (to hold the wood fibers
              together).

              I hope that helps!
              -- Ygraine

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 17, 2001
                Lady Rhianna
                Sometimes the taper tool blade is off set just a little and that will cause
                the cutting as you describe..It will start ok then change...I have had
                several tpaer tools do this and have set the angle a little more to make it
                stop chewing the wood as to say..This also is common of a dull blade..
                As for the vacant spot in the nock,I load a spot of glue at the top on wood
                shafts..this should assure you that it is stuck to the shaft.you may have to
                twist the nock a little more than usual but it sets the glue and does not
                cause the nock to push away from the shaft..
                Wishing you well and straight shooting...

                Laird of Family Owls Lair
                Connor O' Connor

              • William Arwemakere
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 17, 2001
                  Just a minor correction, Nock angle is 11 deg, point angle is 5 deg.

                  William Arwemakere
                  Arcuarius to HE Gerhard Kendal
                  Barony of Lions Gate
                  An Tir

                  > taper for a nock (5 degrees) is different from the taper for a point (11
                  > degrees).

                • Jean-Paul Blaquiere
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 17, 2001
                    > On Apr 17, skyecal@... illuminated with a virtual pen :

                    > I'm running into problems with the taper tool. It seems to chew the
                    > wood up a bit further than the nock covers. Is this normal?

                    not at all ;) It's showing you that that blade on your taper tool is
                    getting blunt. Two solutions, replace it - if you can. I cannot find new
                    blades for my two taper tools, so I go the sharpening way. IF you can find
                    a soft waterstone, or leather strop and use them to polish the edge
                    of the blade back to razor sharpness.

                    > Should
                    > the end of the arrow go completely up into the nock? I have a tiny
                    > bit of space at the top.

                    I find the little bit of space does not matter, just so long as they knocks
                    are straight on the shaft and that you have enough surface area for the glue
                    to bond the nock to the shaft.

                    /Jp...
                    --
                    Jean-Paul Blaquière || Avatar of Computational
                    japester@... || Thaumaturgy