Re: [SCA-Archery] Nocks

  • Carl West at home
    Message 1 of 44 , Jun 4, 2000
      Bob & Nancy Upson wrote:
      > (Besides, when you hit a glue-on nock and break it the arrow is
      > usually still salvagable -- that's just not the case with self nocks.)

      From personal experience, I have to differ. Last Pensic I nock-shot one
      of my own arrows and after minor work (about as much as I've put into
      fixing a split cedar arrow that had a plastic nock), shot it again the
      next day.

      It helped that my shafts are maple and I had bound the nock with linen
      soaked in hide glue and that it was hit in the bottom of the nock by a
      bodkin point (had it been hit on one of the ears, the ear would have
      been seriously damaged. And the bodkin was narrow enough to only try to
      split the wood that was bound instead of wedging off one of the ears).
      It was an odd shot, the arrow made a wrong sound when reaching the
      target and wobbled funny, when we retrieved, there it was - still stuck
      in the nock of the arrow it had hit, about 2 1/2 feet short of the
      target. (fortunately it was practice, or we'd have had to debate the score.)

      I took it back to camp and after showing the 'mating arrows' around a
      bit, separated them, unbound the nock and set it to soak in a glass of
      water to swell the compressed wood fibers, then I gave it a fair bit of
      hide glue and re-bound it with more glue-soaked linen. I still use that
      arrow. In fact I think I nock-shot it again a little while ago and
      pieced-in the bits that got blown away.

      I've already got a fair bit of time invested in these arrows and feel
      that it's less time for me to fix what I've got than build a new one.

      Speaking of building new ones:
      I just forged some more bodkin points this weekend and have some .MPG
      movies of the process. I plan to put them up on my site really soon. (3
      .MPGs, ~1MB each)

      > But if you have never made arrows with self nocks, it's an exercise
      > worth trying at least once, IMHO.

      Definitely.

      --
      Carl West
      mailto:eisen@...

      Experience Real-Time Full-Motion Hi-res 3D with Surround Sound! Step Outside.
    • Karl Sandhoff
      Message 44 of 44 , Jun 18, 2000
        Excuse the late reply but I am just working my way through the 2000 posts
        I have received in May and June. Please see my comments below.
        In service to the dream,
        Carolus von Eulenhorst

        On Tue, 06 Jun 2000 21:40:26 -0500 "Chris Nogy" <cnogy@...>
        writes:

> [...]

        This requires a philosophical allowance that mortal man is capable of
        perfection; a position find impossible to justify by any philosophy I
        have come across yet. Assuming this, the path may as well be infinite in
        length and wherever a man stops along the path we do not know how far he
        has progressed. We do, however, set benchmarks along the way at which
        recognition is given. Thus, it matters not how far a man progresses as
        long as he meets the benchmarks set by other men.

        >snip<
        >I am not considering service here - service is not archery. A person
        >can be the greatest marshal, the most abundant producer of cool
        >targets, the constant autocrat of archery events, the most prolific
        >supplier of equipment for novices, but not be able to hit the broad
        >side of a barn at 10 feet. They should be amply rewarded for their
        >service to archery, but not for their archery. The A&S integrates
        >into archery in a very special way - you don't have to be a craftsman
        >to do it right, you can buy all the stuff you need, so it is not the
        >SCA A&S of archery that I refer to, it is the art of period archery,
        >the ability to do what they did with the gear they did it with in the
        >same way they did it. If you have skill at hitting the target equal
        >to another, but you do it with period gear and they do it with modern
        >gear, you should expect to receive more acclaim.

        But here you deviate from the purpose of the SCA. That is the purpose
        for which we are granted the special priveledge of our tax-exempt status.
        The SCA's purpose is education and uses re-creation (not re-enactment)
        as a means to acheive it. We are not a "skill at shooting with a
        historical type of equipment" society. One member may be an expert shot
        with an English long bow, another with a turkish recurve, another with a
        German crossbow, and another with a Viking flatbow. Various compromises
        must be taken with each of these as many of the materials used in period
        are not safe for us to use today or are simply not reasonably available
        (the may not exist now or be too expensive if they do). Other members
        could shoot with more modern equipment getting the feel for what the
        period archer did but be master craftsmen in making reproductions of that
        equipment; research the technology used to make the equipment; study the
        social place of the archer; or study the tactics of the archer in war.
        All of these gentles are worthy of recognition based on the traditions of
        the SCA and what we have recognized in the past.

        >snip<

        Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.