RE: [SCA-Archery] Nocks

  • Chris Nogy
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 4, 2000
      Where does it end?

      The real fact is that Giovanni doesn't have to have a reason to decide if some things are or are not allowed in the IKAC period division. Just because so many people shoot it doesn't make it a public domain competition, it is run by the rules that Giovanni decides. So justifying by category or anything else is a moot point - the period division contains what Giovanni has decided that he will accept as being period.

      So far, he has let us all in on that process, but it is not our right to be in on it, it is a privelage granted by the competition sponsor.

      I can understand why people get all up in arms when somebody suggests no fiberglass - it sometimes costs more to acquire a wooden bow than to use the modern laminate bow you already have. It then boils down to a matter of cost. But that matter is not so critical when it comes to self-nocked arrows - they can actually be made cheaper (and almost as quickly, once you attain some reasonable experience) as a modern nocked arrow.

      Allowing fiberglass is just that - allowing it. It is not the ideal, not even the standard, it is allowed because enough people made a fuss about it. But it is a period division we are discussing. The idea as I understand it is to promote period (not period-esque) archery when feasible, and to continue to focus more and more away from modern archery in this division. There is nothing wrong with modern arrows in the open division, but I cannot see a very compelling reason to allow them in the period division. If we allow fiberglass, arrow shelves, and modern nocked arrows, what makes it different from the open division?

      Kaz
    • Giovanni dell'Arco
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 4, 2000
        I wrote the following excerpt for an On Target Online article regarding the
        need for an archery guild. You can find the full article at
        http://www.dellarco.com/ontarget/frames/quiver_frame.html, then click on
        "There's More to Archery Than Scores."

        "I began to look at the SCA and my role in it. What was I doing that
        couldn't be done in mundane clothing with a traditional archery club? Was I
        taking full advantage of my SCA experiences, the few I allowed myself off
        the range? No, I wasn't. I'm a history major at Seattle University with a
        future goal of being a high school history teacher. I love history,
        especially the history of the bow. Here I belonged to a medieval re-creation
        group with others interested in the history of the bow and yet there was no
        real movement towards consolidating our knowledge."

        Period nocks (self, hardwood, bone, etc.), I feel, are a simple, but
        important, step in the right direction to distinguish ourselves from mundane
        traditional archers and to learn hands-on the techniques we claim to keep
        alive as SCA archers. The next step could be cutting your own fletching or
        twisting your own string. Then we might try our hand at making your own bow
        or crossbow stock. The important thing is taking that first step.
        Otherwise, the only difference between us and mundane traditional archers is
        the garb.

        Giovanni--->

      • skyecal@blazenet.net
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 17, 2001
          Greetings!

          I'm in the process of making my fourth & fifth dozen arrows. I'm
          using plastic nocks on these in order to get these done quickly,
          running out of time. I normally make self-nocks.

          I'm running into problems with the taper tool. It seems to chew the
          wood up a bit further than the nock covers. Is this normal? Should
          the end of the arrow go completely up into the nock? I have a tiny
          bit of space at the top. (They are white, so I can see through them
          when I hold them up to the light.) I need to make sure I have extra
          arrows for an upcoming archery event in Aethelmarc. One suggestion I
          received was to use plenty of glue. Just want to make sure that I
          cover all my bases on this. Thanks for any help, suggestions, etc.

          Lady Rhianna of AElfwine
          Shire of Owl's Reste
        • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 17, 2001
            Personally, this seems to be a fairly common 'problem' so to
            speak. Although I've never seen it as a problem.

            There are variations in taper tools, and in the taper of a nock
            itself. Fairly often, they just don't quite line up.

            Just make sure that your nock goes on straight, and don't worry about it :)

            As long as it seats well, that's what matters, whether the taper is too
            'short' (doesn't fill to the tip), or too 'long' (Leaves a little bit of
            taper showing below the nock.)

            Siegfried

            At 09:40 PM 4/17/2001 +0000, you wrote:
            >Greetings!
            >
            >I'm in the process of making my fourth & fifth dozen arrows. I'm
            >using plastic nocks on these in order to get these done quickly,
            >running out of time. I normally make self-nocks.
            >
            >I'm running into problems with the taper tool. It seems to chew the
            >wood up a bit further than the nock covers. Is this normal? Should
            >the end of the arrow go completely up into the nock? I have a tiny
            >bit of space at the top. (They are white, so I can see through them
            >when I hold them up to the light.) I need to make sure I have extra
            >arrows for an upcoming archery event in Aethelmarc. One suggestion I
            >received was to use plenty of glue. Just want to make sure that I
            >cover all my bases on this. Thanks for any help, suggestions, etc.
            >
            >Lady Rhianna of AElfwine
            >Shire of Owl's Reste

            >Brought to you eGroups Ad Free in 2001 by Baron Bows

            Lord Siegfried Sebastian Faust Baronial Web Minister & Archery Marshal
          • Carl (checking home mail from work)
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 17, 2001
              skyecal@... wrote:

              > I'm running into problems with the taper tool. It seems to chew the
              > wood up a bit further than the nock covers. Is this normal?

              This suggests to me that the nocks are a little smaller in diameter than
              the shafts. Having them the same would be nice but more important is
              that they fit the string and are on straight.

              >...Should
              > the end of the arrow go completely up into the nock?

              'Most of the way' is good enough.

              -- Fritz
            • Susan Kell
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 17, 2001
                Greetings, Rhianna -

                This is a silly question, but was the tool you used set to do the "right"
                taper? Most tools have different cylinders for the different common
                diameters of shafting (or they are completely separate tools) *and* the
                taper for a nock (5 degrees) is different from the taper for a point (11
                degrees). If your tool has applied the right angle of taper to the
                expected diameter of shaft, it is possible that the nocks you're using have
                somewhat deeper openings in them than standard.

                As others have already replied, if the nock ends up securely glued to the
                shaft you should be fine. If the "gap" prevents a good bond, you will have
                problems. If a bit of raw, tapered wood shows below the otherwise secure
                nock, that's just a cosmetic issue.

                Regarding the taper tool "chewing" the wood, this is a common problem, and
                in my experience two things help: (1) use a fresh, sharp blade and (2) do
                your tapering after applying the seal coat (to hold the wood fibers
                together).

                I hope that helps!
                -- Ygraine

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 17, 2001
                  Lady Rhianna
                  Sometimes the taper tool blade is off set just a little and that will cause
                  the cutting as you describe..It will start ok then change...I have had
                  several tpaer tools do this and have set the angle a little more to make it
                  stop chewing the wood as to say..This also is common of a dull blade..
                  As for the vacant spot in the nock,I load a spot of glue at the top on wood
                  shafts..this should assure you that it is stuck to the shaft.you may have to
                  twist the nock a little more than usual but it sets the glue and does not
                  cause the nock to push away from the shaft..
                  Wishing you well and straight shooting...

                  Laird of Family Owls Lair
                  Connor O' Connor

                • William Arwemakere
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 17, 2001
                    Just a minor correction, Nock angle is 11 deg, point angle is 5 deg.

                    William Arwemakere
                    Arcuarius to HE Gerhard Kendal
                    Barony of Lions Gate
                    An Tir

                    > taper for a nock (5 degrees) is different from the taper for a point (11
                    > degrees).

                  • Jean-Paul Blaquiere
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 17, 2001
                      > On Apr 17, skyecal@... illuminated with a virtual pen :

                      > I'm running into problems with the taper tool. It seems to chew the
                      > wood up a bit further than the nock covers. Is this normal?

                      not at all ;) It's showing you that that blade on your taper tool is
                      getting blunt. Two solutions, replace it - if you can. I cannot find new
                      blades for my two taper tools, so I go the sharpening way. IF you can find
                      a soft waterstone, or leather strop and use them to polish the edge
                      of the blade back to razor sharpness.

                      > Should
                      > the end of the arrow go completely up into the nock? I have a tiny
                      > bit of space at the top.

                      I find the little bit of space does not matter, just so long as they knocks
                      are straight on the shaft and that you have enough surface area for the glue
                      to bond the nock to the shaft.

                      /Jp...
                      --
                      Jean-Paul Blaquière || Avatar of Computational
                      japester@... || Thaumaturgy