Nocks

  • elwin@one.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 4, 2000
      Hello My Lords and Ladys of the list.
      Iwant to hear some thoughts on why I shoud make footed arrows and
      self nocks if when I step to the line and get no more points then
      some one shoting store bough.
      Ok before you all get in an uproar, I do this beacause I love
      archery .for some 50 years.way before SCA.
      I beacame a menber because of archery.No Ido not write or spell so
      well But I went to John Strunks bow school on very limiedfunds ,
      And I make beautful wooden bows .and Ilove to shoot not to good Iam
      all ways working on may craft you see I like to have aplace to live
      for my Lady of 37 years

      WE are new to the area of The Midrealm, in Cin Oh.
      Let me hear your thought.
      In service Lord Elwin the Bowman
      Past A&S Champion of Rivers Region of the kingdom of An Tir
    • greytaylor@worldnet.att.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 4, 2000
        The arrows I make are given every bit of attention possible to be
        sure that they will fly to their utmost. Making them beautiful is my
        choice and I do it for beauty's sake. I think doing something for
        the sole sake of recognition will ultimately result in
        disappointment. If you don't think it's worth it, don't do it. If
        you think it's worthwhile, the question is mute.
      • Brett Wilson
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 4, 2000
          While on the subject of nocks, specifically self nocks, I have a question
          going back to the "period" class of the IKAC.

          I have just recently returned from the beautiful Outlands , Grand Outlandish
          event. One afternoon, while waiting for the archers to return from lunch
          break, several of us discussed the "fiberglass vs. period" issue.

          The discussion boiled down to the fact that fiberglass acts much like some
          period materials, and, as long as it is aesthetically not obnoxious, should
          be kept in the period class.

          My question, then, is: Why do we have to have self nocks in the period
          division, when there is documentation of glue on horn or bone nocks that
          function very much like the modern plastic nocks? If I were to use black,
          white, or brown plastic nocks, would it not be as aesthetically proper as
          fiberglass?

          I feel that if you are going to allow fiberglass bows in the period
          division, you should not make me use self nocks.

          What say you?

          Leif of Crescent Moon
          Calontir archer

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 4, 2000
            Where does it end?

            The real fact is that Giovanni doesn't have to have a reason to decide if some things are or are not allowed in the IKAC period division. Just because so many people shoot it doesn't make it a public domain competition, it is run by the rules that Giovanni decides. So justifying by category or anything else is a moot point - the period division contains what Giovanni has decided that he will accept as being period.

            So far, he has let us all in on that process, but it is not our right to be in on it, it is a privelage granted by the competition sponsor.

            I can understand why people get all up in arms when somebody suggests no fiberglass - it sometimes costs more to acquire a wooden bow than to use the modern laminate bow you already have. It then boils down to a matter of cost. But that matter is not so critical when it comes to self-nocked arrows - they can actually be made cheaper (and almost as quickly, once you attain some reasonable experience) as a modern nocked arrow.

            Allowing fiberglass is just that - allowing it. It is not the ideal, not even the standard, it is allowed because enough people made a fuss about it. But it is a period division we are discussing. The idea as I understand it is to promote period (not period-esque) archery when feasible, and to continue to focus more and more away from modern archery in this division. There is nothing wrong with modern arrows in the open division, but I cannot see a very compelling reason to allow them in the period division. If we allow fiberglass, arrow shelves, and modern nocked arrows, what makes it different from the open division?

            Kaz
          • Giovanni dell'Arco
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 4, 2000
              I wrote the following excerpt for an On Target Online article regarding the
              need for an archery guild. You can find the full article at
              http://www.dellarco.com/ontarget/frames/quiver_frame.html, then click on
              "There's More to Archery Than Scores."

              "I began to look at the SCA and my role in it. What was I doing that
              couldn't be done in mundane clothing with a traditional archery club? Was I
              taking full advantage of my SCA experiences, the few I allowed myself off
              the range? No, I wasn't. I'm a history major at Seattle University with a
              future goal of being a high school history teacher. I love history,
              especially the history of the bow. Here I belonged to a medieval re-creation
              group with others interested in the history of the bow and yet there was no
              real movement towards consolidating our knowledge."

              Period nocks (self, hardwood, bone, etc.), I feel, are a simple, but
              important, step in the right direction to distinguish ourselves from mundane
              traditional archers and to learn hands-on the techniques we claim to keep
              alive as SCA archers. The next step could be cutting your own fletching or
              twisting your own string. Then we might try our hand at making your own bow
              or crossbow stock. The important thing is taking that first step.
              Otherwise, the only difference between us and mundane traditional archers is
              the garb.

              Giovanni--->

            • skyecal@blazenet.net
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 17 2:40 PM
                Greetings!

                I'm in the process of making my fourth & fifth dozen arrows. I'm
                using plastic nocks on these in order to get these done quickly,
                running out of time. I normally make self-nocks.

                I'm running into problems with the taper tool. It seems to chew the
                wood up a bit further than the nock covers. Is this normal? Should
                the end of the arrow go completely up into the nock? I have a tiny
                bit of space at the top. (They are white, so I can see through them
                when I hold them up to the light.) I need to make sure I have extra
                arrows for an upcoming archery event in Aethelmarc. One suggestion I
                received was to use plenty of glue. Just want to make sure that I
                cover all my bases on this. Thanks for any help, suggestions, etc.

                Lady Rhianna of AElfwine
                Shire of Owl's Reste
              • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 17 3:25 PM
                  Personally, this seems to be a fairly common 'problem' so to
                  speak. Although I've never seen it as a problem.

                  There are variations in taper tools, and in the taper of a nock
                  itself. Fairly often, they just don't quite line up.

                  Just make sure that your nock goes on straight, and don't worry about it :)

                  As long as it seats well, that's what matters, whether the taper is too
                  'short' (doesn't fill to the tip), or too 'long' (Leaves a little bit of
                  taper showing below the nock.)

                  Siegfried

                  At 09:40 PM 4/17/2001 +0000, you wrote:
                  >Greetings!
                  >
                  >I'm in the process of making my fourth & fifth dozen arrows. I'm
                  >using plastic nocks on these in order to get these done quickly,
                  >running out of time. I normally make self-nocks.
                  >
                  >I'm running into problems with the taper tool. It seems to chew the
                  >wood up a bit further than the nock covers. Is this normal? Should
                  >the end of the arrow go completely up into the nock? I have a tiny
                  >bit of space at the top. (They are white, so I can see through them
                  >when I hold them up to the light.) I need to make sure I have extra
                  >arrows for an upcoming archery event in Aethelmarc. One suggestion I
                  >received was to use plenty of glue. Just want to make sure that I
                  >cover all my bases on this. Thanks for any help, suggestions, etc.
                  >
                  >Lady Rhianna of AElfwine
                  >Shire of Owl's Reste

                  >Brought to you eGroups Ad Free in 2001 by Baron Bows

                  Lord Siegfried Sebastian Faust Baronial Web Minister & Archery Marshal
                • Carl (checking home mail from work)
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 17 3:51 PM
                    skyecal@... wrote:

                    > I'm running into problems with the taper tool. It seems to chew the
                    > wood up a bit further than the nock covers. Is this normal?

                    This suggests to me that the nocks are a little smaller in diameter than
                    the shafts. Having them the same would be nice but more important is
                    that they fit the string and are on straight.

                    >...Should
                    > the end of the arrow go completely up into the nock?

                    'Most of the way' is good enough.

                    -- Fritz
                  • Susan Kell
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 17 4:27 PM
                      Greetings, Rhianna -

                      This is a silly question, but was the tool you used set to do the "right"
                      taper? Most tools have different cylinders for the different common
                      diameters of shafting (or they are completely separate tools) *and* the
                      taper for a nock (5 degrees) is different from the taper for a point (11
                      degrees). If your tool has applied the right angle of taper to the
                      expected diameter of shaft, it is possible that the nocks you're using have
                      somewhat deeper openings in them than standard.

                      As others have already replied, if the nock ends up securely glued to the
                      shaft you should be fine. If the "gap" prevents a good bond, you will have
                      problems. If a bit of raw, tapered wood shows below the otherwise secure
                      nock, that's just a cosmetic issue.

                      Regarding the taper tool "chewing" the wood, this is a common problem, and
                      in my experience two things help: (1) use a fresh, sharp blade and (2) do
                      your tapering after applying the seal coat (to hold the wood fibers
                      together).

                      I hope that helps!
                      -- Ygraine

                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 17 5:00 PM
                        Lady Rhianna
                        Sometimes the taper tool blade is off set just a little and that will cause
                        the cutting as you describe..It will start ok then change...I have had
                        several tpaer tools do this and have set the angle a little more to make it
                        stop chewing the wood as to say..This also is common of a dull blade..
                        As for the vacant spot in the nock,I load a spot of glue at the top on wood
                        shafts..this should assure you that it is stuck to the shaft.you may have to
                        twist the nock a little more than usual but it sets the glue and does not
                        cause the nock to push away from the shaft..
                        Wishing you well and straight shooting...

                        Laird of Family Owls Lair
                        Connor O' Connor

                      • William Arwemakere
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 17 6:40 PM
                          Just a minor correction, Nock angle is 11 deg, point angle is 5 deg.

                          William Arwemakere
                          Arcuarius to HE Gerhard Kendal
                          Barony of Lions Gate
                          An Tir

                          > taper for a nock (5 degrees) is different from the taper for a point (11
                          > degrees).

                        • Jean-Paul Blaquiere
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 17 11:24 PM
                            > On Apr 17, skyecal@... illuminated with a virtual pen :

                            > I'm running into problems with the taper tool. It seems to chew the
                            > wood up a bit further than the nock covers. Is this normal?

                            not at all ;) It's showing you that that blade on your taper tool is
                            getting blunt. Two solutions, replace it - if you can. I cannot find new
                            blades for my two taper tools, so I go the sharpening way. IF you can find
                            a soft waterstone, or leather strop and use them to polish the edge
                            of the blade back to razor sharpness.

                            > Should
                            > the end of the arrow go completely up into the nock? I have a tiny
                            > bit of space at the top.

                            I find the little bit of space does not matter, just so long as they knocks
                            are straight on the shaft and that you have enough surface area for the glue
                            to bond the nock to the shaft.

                            /Jp...
                            --
                            Jean-Paul Blaquière || Avatar of Computational
                            japester@... || Thaumaturgy