RE: [SCA-Archery] Archery Books

  • Prince, John
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2 10:50 AM
      > I am also an archer in gyldenholt. It seems that in your dual personalities
      > you have managed to miss the popular bow period on both sides:) It was much
      > in use during both periods as a means of getting food but as small arms it
      > was not in use yet (in your location) in the 12th century and was given up
      > in favor of firearms in Elizabeths reign. There is a reason that elizabthan
      > era lutes were often made of yew.

      Actually, when it comes to the bow I'm willing to relocate in time and
      personna! The Elizabethan era is covered by my attempts at rapier.

      Many thanks,

      C.D.
    • Prince, John
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2 4:09 PM
        > I wish I could name this bok properly but one is something like"Arrowes
        > against Steel"
        > Then there is "The Longbow" by Hardy. Then theres a modern english verson
        > of the Toxophilus with the 2nd part by St charles - I have it. Then there
        > is "The english longbowmen" #11 in the warrior series by Osprey - a more
        > paperback edition and good. This is a start
        >
        > Michael

        Many thanks! I should have thought of the Osprey series myself. My
        thinking processes are really off today - my early period personna is
        NOT 11/12 century but 12th and 13th century! Time to go home now....

        Conchobhar
      • Michael vanBergen
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3 1:39 AM
          I wish I could name this bok properly but one is something like"Arrowes
          against Steel"
          Then there is "The Longbow" by Hardy. Then theres a modern english verson
          of the Toxophilus with the 2nd part by St charles - I have it. Then there
          is "The english longbowmen" #11 in the warrior series by Osprey - a more
          paperback edition and good. This is a start

          Michael

          On Fri, 2 Jun 2000 10:25:36 -0700 "Prince, John"
          <jbprince@...> writes:
          > Good Day M'Lords and Ladies,
          >
          > I am Conchobhar Dearg, Barony of Gyldenholt, Kingdom of Caid. I find
          >
          > myself drawn to the art of archery and have taken steps to pursue
          > this endeavor [attainment of bow and equipment, etc]. What I would
          > you good people recommend in the way of building a good archery
          > library? Books on technique/equipment seem to abound, but I wish to
          > the pursue the historical aspect of the art. Being somewhat
          > schizophrenic I have personna covering two periods, one is late
          > 11th,
          > early 12th century border Scot and the other late Elizabethan
          > [Scot also]. Of the hand- to-hand combat of these two time periods I
          >
          > am reasonably familar with, but the art of the bow I have little
          > information as to manner, dress, and customs. Any suggestions?
          >
          > YIS,
          >
          > Conchobhar

          > @Backup- Protect and Access your data any time, any where on the
          > net.