Re: [SCA-Archery] a short "banning modern bows" rant

  • Brad Boda d'Aylward
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 18, 2008
      Something happened here not too long ago which resembles what we're
      discussing. There has been an ongoing discussion of trying to eliminate
      non-period looking material on the battlefield. One of our Kings past made a
      ruling that there would no longer be any plastic shields on the field.
      UUHHhhh, Your Maj, you are going to loose half your army.......

      The ruling is now that there be no 'obviously' plastic shields (with the
      plastic ribbing). I applaud the peer pressure which encourages a more
      'period' kit on the field and I finally, after 16 years have succumbed and
      bought an aluminum shield blank at Pennsic.

      But I believe that one of our greatest strengths and greatest draws is our
      encouragement to 'come and play with us'. The greatest difference I see in
      this respect is my 15ft period pavillion next to a Colman or Hillary. If we
      started mandating period tack I would have far fewer rookie shooters to
      teach the noble art of killing targets. I fully applaud the peer pressure
      expressed by those who have a higher committment to period accuracy and am
      seriously looking forward to owning a real 'D' section along with my
      American Flat.

      Only don't denigrate my love for archery on the altar of period perfection
      or I will probably pat you on the head and religate your opinion to those
      groups like the MSR or to the Civil War Recreationists who have to spend
      close to $5,000 on their kits to join the artillary units. (Their 'garb'
      *must* be bought from the unit tailor who have to use the correct 'thread
      count' for their clothes). I'll smile, turn, and then take some shooters out
      to the archery line who want to work on improving their form.

      Brad

      Subject: RE: [SCA-Archery] a short "banning modern bows" rant