Re: [SCA-Archery] uumm , new rant ? was a short "banning modern bows" rant

  • ld.blackmoon
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2008
      greetings

      this started out as a simple reply, but seems to have turned into a multi focus rant .
      if not interested in my rants, please delete this email , this could very well be another episode of " leave it to blackmoon " where blackmoon while trying to help , sticks his foot in his mouth , and screws everything up ; )
      thanx
      arthur

      >One more thing and I'll go away from this discussion for good: For those who don't think an arrow cannot penetrate armour...think again; you are incorrect in your assumption . A properly constructed arrow with a properly constructed sharp tip and the appropriate draw-force (translates to psi, for those of us who are/were science geeks) can open armour like it was a tin can...chain mail included.

      well it is easy to see from their stand point of shooting a modern cedar arrow with soft iron heads at modern metals shaped like period armor , wont ever penetrate far enough to cause damage. they also tend to forget that modern antibiotics did not exist .so any puncture had a high probability of getting infected , especially in battle field conditions.
      but if they were to use heavy war arrow shafts of hardwood and a 4" bodkin from a 100 # + bow , especialy arced high in the air so that it also had gravity helping it , into period armor, they would have to admit that not only could it kill out right, it could kill you much later as the dirty arrowhead that was still partially in you festered and rotted ..
      why do you think archers were so feared and dispised ?? it wasnt just because their feet smelled , or they were poorly dressed .
      it was because a skilled archer could take you out no matter how many knights you hid behind .
      that is also why they believe us to be unchivalrous , and cowardly , because we could carry out our kings wishes with out dieing first , much like spearmen / polearm people etc. in other words we were more effective than they were and they knew it , just like today , if they hire a new guy that uses new techniques etc and is more effective than you are at work , you would fear losing your job, your benifits, your perks, etc.
      so fear still motivates those in reallife as well as the sca.

      in the begining you had to use brute force to become a knight, later in period , you had to be a gentleman and force was reserved for defending your honor etc,or have enough money to buy knighthood.
      there are those in the sca that believe the only measure of peerage should be through brute force, luckily those are slowly fading away , and other voices are begining to be heard and considered , thus we now have laurels to elevate sciences and research and pelicans to elevate service to the society .
      who knows what the future holds , perhaps a peerage for those who both master martial skills and serve the society ?? but are looked at by neither ??

      the application of brains over brawn has always been seen as unchivalrous and an unfair advantage ..
      i will however admit that the future of war looks to be robots and long range missiles where the participants never see one another ,so maybe by then everyone will be considered unchivalrous.

      be safe, be happy, have fun
      arthur