Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: discussion of peerage recognition

  • James Koch
    Message 1 of 68 , Aug 12 10:10 PM
      Jon et al,

      The poll sounds like a good idea, but regardless whether or not
      anything comes of it, we the archery community can create our own
      equivalent of a peerage, regardless of whether it is officially
      recognized by the rest of the SCA or not. We already have recognized
      awards and orders in the various kingdoms. Over a year ago we were
      seriously discussing a new Society wide competition that could be
      held in various places during any given year. Why not allow the
      orders, like the Greenwood Company here in the Midrealm to propose
      members who have done considerable service for the community. Have
      the selected individuals compete and based on prowess in the various
      competitions they would be accepted into the Society wide archery
      order. We just need a group to get it started. Eventually the order
      would take over the function of accepting new members.

      Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

      > At 09:06 PM 8/12/2008, you wrote:

      >Right now we are just trying to put out the SCA wide poll. Then if
      >there is support we can consider how it could happen. If there is
      >strong enough support, then the BoD might take action.
      >
      >Jon
      >
      >On Aug 12, 2008, at 4:26 PM, Hon.Lady Arianna OSeaghdha wrote:
      >
      > > --- In
      > <mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com,
      > John edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:
      > > >I would love to see that happen. I think it will be very difficult to
      > > attain but definitely worth it.Any time I have approached the topic
      > > with any peer with few exceptions, they weren't even interested in
      > > discussing the topic. In Trimaris, the prevailing attitude is that
      > > Archery and other outside forms of marshal arts are not really worth
      > > paying attention to. I had one Laurel,who has since had a lot of
      > > education on the topic, tell me that anyone could take a dowel and
      > > make arrows. The problem is lack of knowledge and no interest in
      > > acquiring the knowledge. Arianna
      > >
      > > > There is a new discussion on creating a SCA wide poll to see if
      > > there
      > > > is support for Peerage level recognition for those fighters that
      > > fall
      > > > outside of the current SCA realm of rattan martial arts but display
      > > > peer-like qualities and excel at other martial activities such as
      > > > equestrian, fencing, archery, thrown weapons, siege and war combat.
      > > >
      > > > To join in this discussion subscribe at: sca-4peerage-
      > > > <mailto:subscribe%40yahoogroups.com>subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      > > >
      > > > Jon
      > > >

      > > > Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, O.L., O.P., Mists, Esfenn
      > > > An Archer must be: Keen of eye, steady of hand, fleet of foot and
      > > > cunning of mind.

    • Mike Giovaninni
      Message 68 of 68 , Aug 17 8:50 PM
        YYyygads  man!
        Bite your tongue...!
        While I might strive to live with honor, I will prefer to remain the humble servant, thankyouverymuch...
        :o)
        Deth