Re: Target Panic NYTimes article.

  • arturdubh
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 6, 2008
      James, and all others who might find some benefit;

      We can be our own worst critics, eh?

      Although it has been some time (more than a 1 1/2 years! goodness,
      has it really been so long?) since I have participated in any SCA
      archery competitions, I do remember how I "cured" my own "target
      panic" during Speed Rounds. Seems I couldn't send my arrows to the
      same area of the target, let alone get them to group decently, and
      rarely got off more than six arrows. When I had to stop archery (due
      to a broken bow - this May, in fact - which still hasn't been
      replaced), I was up to eight arrows (it's been so long, I don't know
      if I can still do it).

      All I did was concentrate on shooting in a ***rhythm***, as in a
      Cadence Shoot; speed is secondary to keeping a steady rhythm. As you
      gain skill/accuracy (and confidence), you can increase the speed of
      your shooting -- but always keep the rhythm. Number One "rule" in the
      speed rounds: Do Not Rush Your Shots.

      Plus, it helps if you can just stop obsessing over the "score". I
      know, it's hard... Just relax, and enjoy the shoot.

      --Artúr

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "jameswolfden" <jameswolfden@...>
      wrote:

      > I hit a bout of target panic a few years back and I still have not
      > totally gotten over it. It was quite dissillusioning to end one
      > season figuring you were going to break 80 to come back and hope
      you
      > could break 20. It really is a case of 'panic'. Part of you just
      says
      > release now even if another part is saying no!
      >
      > I spent a lot of time in my garage just practising coming to full
      > draw, holding it, and letting down.
      >
      > Even after doing the bare boss thing and other things, getting back
      > to SCA practise can bring it all back. The timed end of the Royal
      > Round can throw all the other drills off. I found I had to
      > deliberately slow down everything on the timed round. This is not
      > easy to do as the speed round tends to induce an adrenaline rush.
      >
      > In Service,
      > James
    • John and Carol Atkins
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 7, 2008
        Just to add some comments here, as for target panic, when it strikes
        I forget about the "score" and concentrate on the basics. Am I
        anchoring consistently? Am I at full draw. My test for this is am I
        holding the draw with my back muscles or am I holding it with my
        arms? That is, have I stuck my chest out to force this and is my
        draw arm elbow behind me, as in line with by bow arm, or is it out
        sideways, as in a short draw? When I release, where is my draw
        hand? Benhind me, out to the side? I also take a moment and focus
        on what I'm trying to hit so that when my bow and arrow come up to
        the shooting position I'm still focusing on the spot I want to hit.

        As for speed rounds the comment made at the Masters shoot at this
        year's Pennsic, which I think is great advice, is that it is NOT a
        speed shoot but rather a rapid fire accuracy shot. That may sound
        the same but if you approach a speed shoot from the second statement
        then you will shoot better because you realize what is important is
        hitting what you are aiming at and not just flinging arrows dowm
        range. There are tons of things you can do to increase the number of
        arrows down range but they are all in vain if they don't hit the
        target! (Currently I am averaging 8 arrows in 30 seconds.)

        One thing I have done in the past to get over target panic and smooth
        out my form is to shoot at night without the advantage of any lights
        except a single cylume stick on the target. This forces me to feel
        the shot. Typically I get good groups just below the cylume but I
        find that in the weeks following my overall shooting improves as I am
        now "feeling" my way into the shot.

        cog

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "arturdubh" <nasionnaich@...>
        wrote:

        > James, and all others who might find some benefit;
        >
        > We can be our own worst critics, eh?
        >
        > Although it has been some time (more than a 1 1/2 years! goodness,
        > has it really been so long?) since I have participated in any SCA
        > archery competitions, I do remember how I "cured" my own "target
        > panic" during Speed Rounds. Seems I couldn't send my arrows to the
        > same area of the target, let alone get them to group decently, and
        > rarely got off more than six arrows. When I had to stop archery
        (due
        > to a broken bow - this May, in fact - which still hasn't been
        > replaced), I was up to eight arrows (it's been so long, I don't
        know
        > if I can still do it).
        >
        > All I did was concentrate on shooting in a ***rhythm***, as in a
        > Cadence Shoot; speed is secondary to keeping a steady rhythm. As
        you
        > gain skill/accuracy (and confidence), you can increase the speed of
        > your shooting -- but always keep the rhythm. Number One "rule" in
        the
        > speed rounds: Do Not Rush Your Shots.
        >
        > Plus, it helps if you can just stop obsessing over the "score". I
        > know, it's hard... Just relax, and enjoy the shoot.
        >
        > --Artúr
        >

        > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "jameswolfden" <jameswolfden@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > I hit a bout of target panic a few years back and I still have
        not
        > > totally gotten over it. It was quite dissillusioning to end one
        > > season figuring you were going to break 80 to come back and hope
        > you
        > > could break 20. It really is a case of 'panic'. Part of you just
        > says
        > > release now even if another part is saying no!
        > >
        > > I spent a lot of time in my garage just practising coming to full
        > > draw, holding it, and letting down.
        > >
        > > Even after doing the bare boss thing and other things, getting
        back
        > > to SCA practise can bring it all back. The timed end of the Royal
        > > Round can throw all the other drills off. I found I had to
        > > deliberately slow down everything on the timed round. This is not
        > > easy to do as the speed round tends to induce an adrenaline rush.
        > >
        > > In Service,
        > > James

      • Frederick Fenters
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 7, 2008
          I have found that when I really wanted to practice “speed shooting” the idea
          of a rhythm really helped me. Playing a favorite piece of music helps get
          you into that rhythm and can do surprising things for you. I went from 4
          crossbow arrows in 30 seconds to 6, occasionally 7, in this manner. Your
          song can be anything from a Symphony with a strong cadence to John Phillip
          Sousa to “Smoke on the Water” to some crazy rap, so long as it it something
          pleasant to your ears.

          Padraig

          _____