RE: [SCA-Archery] New to this list/have a question

  • Frederick Fenters
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2008
      Welcome to "the Dark Side", milady. A Break-Cocking Crossbow is one that
      folds down, like a double barreled shotgun, to cock (or more correctly
      "span") the string. They are not very common. If you have to pull the
      string back to the release, odds are that your crossbow is perfectly fine.

      The other restriction to be careful about is the "no front sights" rule.
      Mot marshals prefer to see the front of the crossbow naked of anything
      crossing over the front.

      Forester Padraig MacRaighne

      _____

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 5, 2008
        Thank you good gentles for your advice. I recently came across a crossbow
        at a garage sale, for a ridiculously low price. Of course, I snatched it
        up. At first, I thought I would have to do a lot of alterations to it to
        make it SCA legal. After some research and rule reading, I believe all
        it really needs is a new string. Of course, I will have it checked out by
        one of the local marshalls.

        YIS,
        Constance W.

        On 8/4/08, Frederick Fenters <padraig@...> wrote:

        > Welcome to "the Dark Side", milady. A Break-Cocking Crossbow is one that
        > folds down, like a double barreled shotgun, to cock (or more correctly
        > "span") the string. They are not very common. If you have to pull the
        > string back to the release, odds are that your crossbow is perfectly fine.
        >
        > The other restriction to be careful about is the "no front sights" rule.
        > Mot marshals prefer to see the front of the crossbow naked of anything
        > crossing over the front.
        >
        > Forester Padraig MacRaighne
        >
        > _____

        "I am my father's daughter, and I am not afraid of anything"

        -Queens Elizabeth I and II