Re: New to this list/have a question

  • jameswolfden
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2008
      Greetings Lady Constance,

      I am sure Sir Jon will correct me if I am wrong here but the
      following was always my interpretation. A break-cocking crossbow is a
      crossbow which has a modern version of a goatsfoot cocking device
      built onto the crossbow. This increases accuracy because it ensures
      the string is pulled back the same way each and every time. I am only
      aware of it on Barnett pistol crossbows which are illegal where I
      live anyways.

      Here is a description from a site selling the Barnett crossbows.

      Break-Action cocking: An exclusive feature to the
      'New Generation' Commando's '99. The standards of accuracy and
      dependability by which crossbows were measured are changed
      forever with Easi - Load. The mechanics of the break - action
      eliminate all chance of cocking the bow off centre, the result -
      the most accurate production crossbow ever built

      When using a crossbow, it is important to always pull the string back
      evenly on both sides. Just like an inconsistent release on a handbow
      will result in arrow drift, an inconsistent pull back will result in
      arrow drift.

      A period style goatsfoot device that is separate from your crossbow
      is perfectly legal in the SCA.

      In Service,
      James Wolfden

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Anetika
      Roller" <constancewsca@...> wrote:

      > Greetings Archers. I am new to this list so please allow me to
      start
      > with an introduction. I am Lady Constance Wilkicke, of the Barony
      of
      > Forgotten Sea, in Calontir. I am best known for my love of
      > Elizabethan garb, though I can be found on the archery line from
      time
      > to time. I do not pretend to be a good archer, so I try to at
      least
      > look good doing it (lol). For me a good day on the line means I
      left
      > with the same number of arrows I came with. Now, on to my question.
      >
      > I am looking to get started with a crossbow, so I have been reading
      > the SCA rules pertaining to crossbows. I am baffled by the
      > phrase "break-cocking style". What exactly does this mean? I
      would
      > be most appreciative if someone can explain this to me.
      >
      > YIS,
      > Constance W.

    • John edgerton
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2008
        Correct. Though at the time (twenty-five plus years ago) there were
        some other manufactures that made break cocking styles as well.

        Jon

      • Frederick Fenters
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2008
          Welcome to "the Dark Side", milady. A Break-Cocking Crossbow is one that
          folds down, like a double barreled shotgun, to cock (or more correctly
          "span") the string. They are not very common. If you have to pull the
          string back to the release, odds are that your crossbow is perfectly fine.

          The other restriction to be careful about is the "no front sights" rule.
          Mot marshals prefer to see the front of the crossbow naked of anything
          crossing over the front.

          Forester Padraig MacRaighne

          _____

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 5, 2008
            Thank you good gentles for your advice. I recently came across a crossbow
            at a garage sale, for a ridiculously low price. Of course, I snatched it
            up. At first, I thought I would have to do a lot of alterations to it to
            make it SCA legal. After some research and rule reading, I believe all
            it really needs is a new string. Of course, I will have it checked out by
            one of the local marshalls.

            YIS,
            Constance W.

            On 8/4/08, Frederick Fenters <padraig@...> wrote:

            > Welcome to "the Dark Side", milady. A Break-Cocking Crossbow is one that
            > folds down, like a double barreled shotgun, to cock (or more correctly
            > "span") the string. They are not very common. If you have to pull the
            > string back to the release, odds are that your crossbow is perfectly fine.
            >
            > The other restriction to be careful about is the "no front sights" rule.
            > Mot marshals prefer to see the front of the crossbow naked of anything
            > crossing over the front.
            >
            > Forester Padraig MacRaighne
            >
            > _____

            "I am my father's daughter, and I am not afraid of anything"

            -Queens Elizabeth I and II