New to this list/have a question

  • Anetika Roller
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3 10:36 PM
      Greetings Archers. I am new to this list so please allow me to start
      with an introduction. I am Lady Constance Wilkicke, of the Barony of
      Forgotten Sea, in Calontir. I am best known for my love of
      Elizabethan garb, though I can be found on the archery line from time
      to time. I do not pretend to be a good archer, so I try to at least
      look good doing it (lol). For me a good day on the line means I left
      with the same number of arrows I came with. Now, on to my question.

      I am looking to get started with a crossbow, so I have been reading
      the SCA rules pertaining to crossbows. I am baffled by the
      phrase "break-cocking style". What exactly does this mean? I would
      be most appreciative if someone can explain this to me.

      YIS,
      Constance W.
    • jameswolfden
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4 9:36 AM
        Greetings Lady Constance,

        I am sure Sir Jon will correct me if I am wrong here but the
        following was always my interpretation. A break-cocking crossbow is a
        crossbow which has a modern version of a goatsfoot cocking device
        built onto the crossbow. This increases accuracy because it ensures
        the string is pulled back the same way each and every time. I am only
        aware of it on Barnett pistol crossbows which are illegal where I
        live anyways.

        Here is a description from a site selling the Barnett crossbows.

        Break-Action cocking: An exclusive feature to the
        'New Generation' Commando's '99. The standards of accuracy and
        dependability by which crossbows were measured are changed
        forever with Easi - Load. The mechanics of the break - action
        eliminate all chance of cocking the bow off centre, the result -
        the most accurate production crossbow ever built

        When using a crossbow, it is important to always pull the string back
        evenly on both sides. Just like an inconsistent release on a handbow
        will result in arrow drift, an inconsistent pull back will result in
        arrow drift.

        A period style goatsfoot device that is separate from your crossbow
        is perfectly legal in the SCA.

        In Service,
        James Wolfden

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Anetika
        Roller" <constancewsca@...> wrote:

        > Greetings Archers. I am new to this list so please allow me to
        start
        > with an introduction. I am Lady Constance Wilkicke, of the Barony
        of
        > Forgotten Sea, in Calontir. I am best known for my love of
        > Elizabethan garb, though I can be found on the archery line from
        time
        > to time. I do not pretend to be a good archer, so I try to at
        least
        > look good doing it (lol). For me a good day on the line means I
        left
        > with the same number of arrows I came with. Now, on to my question.
        >
        > I am looking to get started with a crossbow, so I have been reading
        > the SCA rules pertaining to crossbows. I am baffled by the
        > phrase "break-cocking style". What exactly does this mean? I
        would
        > be most appreciative if someone can explain this to me.
        >
        > YIS,
        > Constance W.

      • John edgerton
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4 10:31 AM
          Correct. Though at the time (twenty-five plus years ago) there were
          some other manufactures that made break cocking styles as well.

          Jon

        • Frederick Fenters
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 4 10:58 AM
            Welcome to "the Dark Side", milady. A Break-Cocking Crossbow is one that
            folds down, like a double barreled shotgun, to cock (or more correctly
            "span") the string. They are not very common. If you have to pull the
            string back to the release, odds are that your crossbow is perfectly fine.

            The other restriction to be careful about is the "no front sights" rule.
            Mot marshals prefer to see the front of the crossbow naked of anything
            crossing over the front.

            Forester Padraig MacRaighne

            _____

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 5 2:32 PM
              Thank you good gentles for your advice. I recently came across a crossbow
              at a garage sale, for a ridiculously low price. Of course, I snatched it
              up. At first, I thought I would have to do a lot of alterations to it to
              make it SCA legal. After some research and rule reading, I believe all
              it really needs is a new string. Of course, I will have it checked out by
              one of the local marshalls.

              YIS,
              Constance W.

              On 8/4/08, Frederick Fenters <padraig@...> wrote:

              > Welcome to "the Dark Side", milady. A Break-Cocking Crossbow is one that
              > folds down, like a double barreled shotgun, to cock (or more correctly
              > "span") the string. They are not very common. If you have to pull the
              > string back to the release, odds are that your crossbow is perfectly fine.
              >
              > The other restriction to be careful about is the "no front sights" rule.
              > Mot marshals prefer to see the front of the crossbow naked of anything
              > crossing over the front.
              >
              > Forester Padraig MacRaighne
              >
              > _____

              "I am my father's daughter, and I am not afraid of anything"

              -Queens Elizabeth I and II