Target Panic NYTimes article.

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 4, 2008
      I enjoyed this article and I thought perhaps a few of you might as well.
      http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/01/sports/olympics/01archery.html

      --

      // Merry

      ----------
      'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre

    • Sæmundr inn skærr
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 4, 2008
        Many thanks for the article. It give me yet one more excuse. =)

        Sæmundr

        --
        Find all thats good in life at:
        http://saemundrthepure.blogspot.com/

        My life, my hobbies, and pictures at http://jimcouch.googlepages.com/

      • ronan mackee
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 4, 2008
          wow thanks this was a cool article

          ronan

          Merry@shireofstandi ngstones. org> wrote:

          > I enjoyed this article and I thought perhaps a few of you might as well.
          > http://www.nytimes. com/2008/ 08/01/sports/ olympics/ 01archery. html
          >
          > --
          >
          > // Merry
          >
          > ----------
          > 'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre
          > Shire of Standing Stones; Formerly: Philippe Sebastian LeLutre
          > Christian M. Cepel --- 573.999.2370 --- Columbia, MO
          > http://Thistledowne .org/ <http://thistledowne .org/>
          > http://ShireOfStand ingStones. org/ <http://shireofstand ingstones. org/>
          > ICQ:12384980 YIM/AOL:Bramblethor ne MSN:Merry@ShireOfS. ....
          >
          > 'Toirdhealbhach' anglicized Tirloughe (1576), modernly 'Turlough',
          > pronounced 'TIR' or 'TUR' + 'low', 'logh', 'lock', or 'loch'

          --
          Find all thats good in life at:
          http://saemundrthep ure.blogspot. com/

          My life, my hobbies, and pictures at http://jimcouch. googlepages. com/

        • jameswolfden
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 4, 2008
            I hit a bout of target panic a few years back and I still have not
            totally gotten over it. It was quite dissillusioning to end one
            season figuring you were going to break 80 to come back and hope you
            could break 20. It really is a case of 'panic'. Part of you just says
            release now even if another part is saying no!

            I spent a lot of time in my garage just practising coming to full
            draw, holding it, and letting down.

            Even after doing the bare boss thing and other things, getting back
            to SCA practise can bring it all back. The timed end of the Royal
            Round can throw all the other drills off. I found I had to
            deliberately slow down everything on the timed round. This is not
            easy to do as the speed round tends to induce an adrenaline rush.

            In Service,
            James

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, 'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder
            Lutre <Merry@...> wrote:

            > I enjoyed this article and I thought perhaps a few of you might as
            well.
            > http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/01/sports/olympics/01archery.html
            >
            > --
            >
            > // Merry
            >
            > ----------
            > 'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre
            > Shire of Standing Stones; Formerly: Philippe Sebastian LeLutre
            > Christian M. Cepel --- 573.999.2370 --- Columbia, MO
            > http://Thistledowne.org/ http://ShireOfStandingStones.org/
            > ICQ:12384980 YIM/AOL:Bramblethorne MSN:Merry@ShireOfS.....
            >
            > 'Toirdhealbhach' anglicized Tirloughe (1576), modernly 'Turlough',
            > pronounced 'TIR' or 'TUR' + 'low', 'logh', 'lock', or 'loch'

          • arturdubh
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 6, 2008
              James, and all others who might find some benefit;

              We can be our own worst critics, eh?

              Although it has been some time (more than a 1 1/2 years! goodness,
              has it really been so long?) since I have participated in any SCA
              archery competitions, I do remember how I "cured" my own "target
              panic" during Speed Rounds. Seems I couldn't send my arrows to the
              same area of the target, let alone get them to group decently, and
              rarely got off more than six arrows. When I had to stop archery (due
              to a broken bow - this May, in fact - which still hasn't been
              replaced), I was up to eight arrows (it's been so long, I don't know
              if I can still do it).

              All I did was concentrate on shooting in a ***rhythm***, as in a
              Cadence Shoot; speed is secondary to keeping a steady rhythm. As you
              gain skill/accuracy (and confidence), you can increase the speed of
              your shooting -- but always keep the rhythm. Number One "rule" in the
              speed rounds: Do Not Rush Your Shots.

              Plus, it helps if you can just stop obsessing over the "score". I
              know, it's hard... Just relax, and enjoy the shoot.

              --Artúr

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "jameswolfden" <jameswolfden@...>
              wrote:

              > I hit a bout of target panic a few years back and I still have not
              > totally gotten over it. It was quite dissillusioning to end one
              > season figuring you were going to break 80 to come back and hope
              you
              > could break 20. It really is a case of 'panic'. Part of you just
              says
              > release now even if another part is saying no!
              >
              > I spent a lot of time in my garage just practising coming to full
              > draw, holding it, and letting down.
              >
              > Even after doing the bare boss thing and other things, getting back
              > to SCA practise can bring it all back. The timed end of the Royal
              > Round can throw all the other drills off. I found I had to
              > deliberately slow down everything on the timed round. This is not
              > easy to do as the speed round tends to induce an adrenaline rush.
              >
              > In Service,
              > James
            • John and Carol Atkins
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 7, 2008
                Just to add some comments here, as for target panic, when it strikes
                I forget about the "score" and concentrate on the basics. Am I
                anchoring consistently? Am I at full draw. My test for this is am I
                holding the draw with my back muscles or am I holding it with my
                arms? That is, have I stuck my chest out to force this and is my
                draw arm elbow behind me, as in line with by bow arm, or is it out
                sideways, as in a short draw? When I release, where is my draw
                hand? Benhind me, out to the side? I also take a moment and focus
                on what I'm trying to hit so that when my bow and arrow come up to
                the shooting position I'm still focusing on the spot I want to hit.

                As for speed rounds the comment made at the Masters shoot at this
                year's Pennsic, which I think is great advice, is that it is NOT a
                speed shoot but rather a rapid fire accuracy shot. That may sound
                the same but if you approach a speed shoot from the second statement
                then you will shoot better because you realize what is important is
                hitting what you are aiming at and not just flinging arrows dowm
                range. There are tons of things you can do to increase the number of
                arrows down range but they are all in vain if they don't hit the
                target! (Currently I am averaging 8 arrows in 30 seconds.)

                One thing I have done in the past to get over target panic and smooth
                out my form is to shoot at night without the advantage of any lights
                except a single cylume stick on the target. This forces me to feel
                the shot. Typically I get good groups just below the cylume but I
                find that in the weeks following my overall shooting improves as I am
                now "feeling" my way into the shot.

                cog

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "arturdubh" <nasionnaich@...>
                wrote:

                > James, and all others who might find some benefit;
                >
                > We can be our own worst critics, eh?
                >
                > Although it has been some time (more than a 1 1/2 years! goodness,
                > has it really been so long?) since I have participated in any SCA
                > archery competitions, I do remember how I "cured" my own "target
                > panic" during Speed Rounds. Seems I couldn't send my arrows to the
                > same area of the target, let alone get them to group decently, and
                > rarely got off more than six arrows. When I had to stop archery
                (due
                > to a broken bow - this May, in fact - which still hasn't been
                > replaced), I was up to eight arrows (it's been so long, I don't
                know
                > if I can still do it).
                >
                > All I did was concentrate on shooting in a ***rhythm***, as in a
                > Cadence Shoot; speed is secondary to keeping a steady rhythm. As
                you
                > gain skill/accuracy (and confidence), you can increase the speed of
                > your shooting -- but always keep the rhythm. Number One "rule" in
                the
                > speed rounds: Do Not Rush Your Shots.
                >
                > Plus, it helps if you can just stop obsessing over the "score". I
                > know, it's hard... Just relax, and enjoy the shoot.
                >
                > --Artúr
                >

                > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "jameswolfden" <jameswolfden@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > I hit a bout of target panic a few years back and I still have
                not
                > > totally gotten over it. It was quite dissillusioning to end one
                > > season figuring you were going to break 80 to come back and hope
                > you
                > > could break 20. It really is a case of 'panic'. Part of you just
                > says
                > > release now even if another part is saying no!
                > >
                > > I spent a lot of time in my garage just practising coming to full
                > > draw, holding it, and letting down.
                > >
                > > Even after doing the bare boss thing and other things, getting
                back
                > > to SCA practise can bring it all back. The timed end of the Royal
                > > Round can throw all the other drills off. I found I had to
                > > deliberately slow down everything on the timed round. This is not
                > > easy to do as the speed round tends to induce an adrenaline rush.
                > >
                > > In Service,
                > > James

              • Frederick Fenters
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 7, 2008
                  I have found that when I really wanted to practice “speed shooting” the idea
                  of a rhythm really helped me. Playing a favorite piece of music helps get
                  you into that rhythm and can do surprising things for you. I went from 4
                  crossbow arrows in 30 seconds to 6, occasionally 7, in this manner. Your
                  song can be anything from a Symphony with a strong cadence to John Phillip
                  Sousa to “Smoke on the Water” to some crazy rap, so long as it it something
                  pleasant to your ears.

                  Padraig

                  _____