Paces (was: [SCA-Archery] Digest Number 3022)

  • obsidian@raex.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 17, 2008
      Greetings

      The "pace" was based on an ancient Roman
      measure, the Passus. One thousand passi equaled a Roman Mille, or Mile
      (milia passi). It was defined as the distance traversed by a foot in step;
      that is: standing, step forward with your left foot, then take a step with
      your right - where your right foot lands is a pace, measured back to where
      it was originally. A single swing of a leg was a step, so, in effect, two
      steps equal a pace. Mediaeval measurement units are notoriously vague and
      changeable, but paces generally worked out to somewhere four and five
      modern feet. So, yah, 120 paces is gonna be somewhere in the neighbourhood
      of 180 to 200 modern yards.  Standard military-issue ELB's (English
      long bows) in period could reach 250 yards without too much trouble, and
      could hope for three hundred on a good day. But then, military ELB's
      typically reached 85 to 130 pounds pull (there are some recent studies of
      Mary Rose bows which imply poundages ranging from the 140's to 170's). A
      relatively well-known Royal Edict from the time of Henry VIII (1509-1547)
      sets allowable practice ranges at no LESS than 220 yards.  As it
      happens, ELBs are remarkably inefficient as bows, and long range shooting
      can be accomplished to far greater results with specialized
      equipage - the Ottoman Turks had a long tradition of long-range
      shooting using specially designed recurve bows and flight arrows (with
      sleeves to permit severe overdrawing) - the record for such gimmicky
      shoots is 838 yards: for those familiar with Pennsic geography, that would
      be roughly comparable to shooting at the clout target at the back of the
      archery range hill - from the runestone.

      Nigel

      On Thu, July 17, 2008 12:55 pm, Robert Meyer wrote:
      > I'm just
      wondering... In period, what is a pace? I've heard that it's a

      single step and I've also heard that it's the distance between the steps

      > of a single foot. For me that would be either 2-1/2 feet or 5
      feet. At
      > five feet per pace, 120 paces is 200 yards! At 2-1/2
      it's still 100 yards
      > which is pretty incredible. Did
      broad/sheaf arrows have a range of 200+
      > yards? I'm still having
      trouble with a standard 30CM target at 40
      > yards... something
      the size of an apple is just boggling...

      > Cheers!
      >
      > Robert l'Étourdi
      >
      > --
      > "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the
      earth with
      > your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been,
      and there you will
      > always long to return."

      --Leonardo da Vinci