RE: [SCA-Archery] Re: Ring finger blisters

  • Talmon Parker
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 7, 2008
      hi Merry: I have been following this thread for a while. I had a auto wreck a few years ago, I lost the pupil, lens and cornea of my right eye. So I had to change to my left eye. I became left eye dominant at once.I also had my left wrist broken in two places. This required steel pins, Later removed,. It took me several years to get where I could draw a bow [45#]. Finally went down to a 30# Still hurts to shoot too many arrows in one day.
      Due to my age, they don't give me to hard of a time about it thou.
      Now ,down to the gist of the matter thou. I tried ever thing that I could to learn to shoot better. I finally ended up with a very unorthodox release,
      sense the wrist of my left hand is weak I have had to draw with all three fingers,But when I reach my anchor point, I release my fore finger away from the string holding the draw with only my middle and ring fingers.I have very thin skin now, and for the last few years I have had no problems with string bite. It takes a while to get used to, but for me it does work. Good luck with your problem.
      Talmon Parker

      DER BARON

      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      From: Merry@...
      Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 14:15:52 -0500
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Ring finger blisters

      I must confess that I have a problem with once the callous starts to

      separate someplace, be it from shooting bow, or from playing mando,

      guitar, or classical, I can't leave it alone and will usually help it

      along. I think with ADD, and OCD I struggle with Trichotillomania

      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichotillomania> and/or Dermatillomania

      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermatillomania>. (I'm a freak)

      Sorry to take so long to follow up with folks, but other things have

      been on my mind. I found a huge improvement by concentrating (as

      someone suggested) on distributing the draw more evenly across all three

      fingers. It's still a bit problematic, even when I mange not pick the

      callous but it dries out and cracks down to the quick, but I'm hoping as

      new skin comes in with improved finger draw technique I'll minimize the

      risk of it happening more. If not I'll give three-under or 2-finger a

      try. I have a roll of a foam-tape kind of like a bulk-mole-foam/skin

      but not fuzzy that I've been using to pad that finger and it's been

      helping a lot. Not certain how anxious I am to try some of the

      chemicals suggested to intentionally trigger skin toughening, but we'll

      see how it goes.

      I'm grateful to all the feedback. Such a wealth of knowledge in the group.

      >>> http://Thistledowne.org/ <http://thistledowne.org/>

      --

      // Merry

      ----------

      'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre

    • Frederick Fenters
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 7, 2008
        Baron Talmon,

        As I have said here and in other venues, one of the greatest assets we have
        in this family is the wisdom we receive from folks such as yourself and Sir
        Jon. I have been following this thread myself , not wanting to throw in
        anything that my own limited experience tells me may or may not be of use.
        Such experience as yours tells me often that I still have much to learn.

        Please accept thanks from me for your wisdom shared and for the experience
        you so richly demonstrate when we hear from you. The same to Sir Jon and
        all of you veterans who help us keep things going.

        Padraig MacRaighne

        _____

        From: Merry@ShireOfStandi <mailto:Merry%40ShireOfStandingStones.org>
        ngStones.org
        Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 14:15:52 -0500

        I must confess that I have a problem with once the callous starts to

        separate someplace, be it from shooting bow, or from playing mando,

        guitar, or classical, I can't leave it alone and will usually help it

        along. I think with ADD, and OCD I struggle with Trichotillomania

        <http://en.wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichotillomania>
        .org/wiki/Trichotillomania> and/or Dermatillomania

        <http://en.wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermatillomania>

        <mailto:nasionnaich%40hotmail.com> hotmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

        >>> advice? I'm thinking of trying out a thumb ring at some point but

        >> money

        >>> will be tight for a while longer.

        >>> --

        >>> // Merry

        >>> ----------

        >>> 'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre

        >>> Shire of Standing Stones; Formerly: Philippe Sebastian LeLutre

        >>> Christian M. Cepel --- 573.999.2370 --- Columbia, MO

        >>> http://Thistledowne <http://Thistledowne.org/> .org/
        <http://thistledowne <http://thistledowne.org/> .org/>

        >> http://ShireOfStand <http://ShireOfStandingStones.org/> ingStones.org/
        <http://shireofstand <http://shireofstandingstones.org/> ingstones.org/>

        >>> ICQ:12384980 YIM/AOL:Bramblethorne MSN:Merry@ShireOfS.....

        >>> 'Toirdhealbhach' anglicized Tirloughe (1576), modernly 'Turlough',

        >>> pronounced 'TIR' or 'TUR' + 'low', 'logh', 'lock', or 'loch'

      • Carolus
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 7, 2008
          Recently I have been doing a lot of digging in my garden and have had
          some serious callous' developing on my hands. I have taken to using
          Corn Husker's lotion on them every day and it has kept them soft and
          prevented the usual peeling I tend to notice after a while. Might try that.
          Carolus