traditional archers from bhutan

  • Rick Orli
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2008
      at the Smithsonian (DC) folklife festival they have a crew of
      traditional archers from bhutan, shooting on a hundred meter range.
      ( At that range, it made me nervous to watch them, but the spotters
      were standing 10-15 feet away from the target as the arrows were
      zipping in.) The whole Bhutan exhibit was cool. They had weavers,
      insense makers, traditional silversmiths, bootmakers - very cool.

      Catch it if you can. (the exhibit, not the arrow) this week.
      -Rick
    • Edward deWitt
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2008
        Rick,  If you haven't already seen the Youtube videos, check this out about the Bhutan archers.  It shows them only ten to fifteen feet on the side of the target.  SCA Marshalls would have a fit
        http://youtube.com/watch?v=HhLEN4JRN_Q

        Edward deWitt

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2008
          > Rick,  If you haven't already seen the Youtube videos, check
          > this out about the Bhutan archers.  It shows them only ten to
          > fifteen feet on the side of the target.  SCA Marshalls would
          > have a fit
          > http://youtube.com/watch?v=HhLEN4JRN_Q
          >
          > Edward deWitt

          You should see Mongolian competitions. You stand directly next to the
          target:
          http://puppy.viahistoria.com/2005trip/highlights/index.html

          I got hit a few times in the last competition I was in. The Mongolian
          archers learn to dodge arrows at the same time they are learning to shoot.
          Most professional archers in Mongolia step aside from where the arrrow will
          land as soon as the bow is fired, they are that good at telling the
          trajectory. Good training for combat archery.

          When you work the targets, you use a series of hand signals to show if the
          archer hit or missed and in which direction.

          Puppy
          http://www.NYCMongol.com
        • Rick Orli
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3, 2008
            Thats cool. show us the scars next time, better than some stupid
            grateful dead tatoo any day.
            Least my key point not be lost, the Bhutan archery continues at the
            festival today through sunday.
            -Rick