crossbow bolts

  • dennis bales
    Message 1 of 21 , May 31, 2000
      Does anyone know of a web site describing the making of crossbow bolts
      (arrows_? please reply.
      Qara Chinua
    • Chris Nogy
      Message 2 of 21 , May 31, 2000
        What do you want to know about making bolts?

        I can give you any pointers you might need

        Kaz

        Message 3 of 21 , May 31, 2000
          Our group Havenholde (Middle Kingdom) seems to make quite a few. It seems
          each crossbowman splits one or two each practice. Are you talking period
          bolts, non period, or combat bolts?

          James Cunningham

          Message 4 of 21 , May 31, 2000
            --- In SCA-Archery@egroups.com, "Chris Nogy" <cnogy@d...> wrote:
            > What do you want to know about making bolts?
            >
            > I can give you any pointers you might need
            >
            > Kaz

            on it) and was looking for the best way to decide what length,
            weight, and how to glue the feathers in place. Where can I find end
            caps and what type of point is best.
            Qara------------------------------------------------------------------
            -----

            Message 5 of 21 , May 31, 2000
              --- In SCA-Archery@egroups.com, "James W. Pratt Jr." <cunning@f...>
              wrote:
              > Our group Havenholde (Middle Kingdom) seems to make quite a few.
              It seems
              > each crossbowman splits one or two each practice. Are you talking
              period
              > bolts, non period, or combat bolts?
              >
              > James Cunningham
              >

              > >Does anyone know of a web site describing the making of crossbow
              bolts
              > >(arrows_? please reply.
              > >Qara Chinua

              ---period, since i will be using these at lily's war. i recently had
              surgery on my shoulder and must now learn to shoot the crossbow(for a
              while)
              Qara

              Message 6 of 21 , May 31, 2000
                Can you describe the bow to me? I know what type of bolts worked best for me with almost all my bows, and I still remember almost everyone I ever made.

                I can tell you what I know, help you acquire a few special pieces of equipment, and help you modify others to make the best bolts for your bow, if it is one of mine.

                I'll keep this on the open list, as something I say might have value to others out here.

                Kaz

                Message 7 of 21 , May 31, 2000
                  --- In SCA-Archery@egroups.com, "Chris Nogy" <cnogy@d...> wrote:
                  > Can you describe the bow to me? I know what type of bolts worked
                  best for me with almost all my bows, and I still remember almost
                  everyone I ever made.

                  > I can tell you what I know, help you acquire a few special pieces
                  of equipment, and help you modify others to make the best bolts for
                  your bow, if it is one of mine.

                  > I'll keep this on the open list, as something I say might have
                  value to others out here.

                  > Kaz

                  -----seems standard, foot loop, about 80LB pull(estimated) lever type
                  release, greenish cast to the wood, fiberglass prod. I traded for it
                  from Phillippe(canton of Cum on alar). there were some bolts with it.
                  4 fletch yellow with target type tips. also three blue with blunt
                  ends. the butt part has a rounded knob and were the pin holding the
                  release is, on both sides, a brass round with a K in the middle.
                  Qara

                  > >Get paid to surf at http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=HOK790
                  > >
                  > >This list sponsored by House Wyvern Hall, BBM, East Kingdom, SCA
                  > >[Email to SCA-Archery-unsubscribe@O... to leave this list]
                • James W. Pratt Jr.
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 31, 2000
                    Greetings Qara Chinua

                    For Period bolts... first cut down a tree... Well it can start that way but
                    for Lilies and the rest of the SCA... wood shafts, period fletching, and any
                    point that will not damage the butts. Most crossbow shooters use arrow
                    shafting because it is straiter and lighter that lumber yard dowels. You
                    can split them from any strait grained wood. Ash, Oak, Pine, Poplar, Cedar,
                    Etc. Asham list 16 arrow woods.

                    Make up one shaft without fletching as a test bolt. Start with 23 inches of
                    shaft and 100grain tip. Shoot it at 5 yards if it hits "strait on" move to
                    10 then 20yard if it still hits "strait on" you have a good bow. If not the
                    bow will need some tuning(a bow HAS to throw a bare shaft strait or it needs
                    tuning). Hopefully if will still hits "some what" strait at ten yards.
                    Start cutting off 1/2 inch at a time or until 15 inches. Shoot the bolt
                    enough time at each length so you can get a feel for its preformance. Pick
                    the lenth that flies the straitest. Now you can add fletches, change tip
                    weight to improve preformance. Our standard is all gold on 20yard 60cm
                    Fita target.

                    If you want a quick recomendation 21 and 1/2 inch. shaft 100 or 125 grain
                    tips 4-5 inch fletching. Use two fletch if you cannot use 120 deg three
                    fletch.

                    I will be at Lilies this year. Stop by our camp. Hugh Prescott will know
                    where we are at.

                    James Cunningham
                  • Scott L Hecathorn
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 30, 2000
                      Greetings, just a question, has anyone used a hardwood insert in the butt
                      end of crossbow shafts? I was just trying to find an alternate way of
                      reinforcing them so they will last a little longer if I shoot the ends. I
                      have tried butt caps and I wasn't really to happy with the results. If
                      anybody out there has any imput, I'm always willing to listen.

                      Robert Thorne
                      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
                    • PLUNKETTARCHER@WEBTV.NET
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 30, 2000
                        GREETINGS TO THE LIST. PARDON THE CAPS, BUT I HAVE "FUMBLE FINGERS"..
                        HA-HA. IN REGARD TO THE USE OF INSERTS IN THE BOLT. THEY CAN'T HURT. BUT
                        I DON'T USE THEM ON MINE. I HAVE GONE TO A 3/8TH DIA, CUPPED END, LIKE A
                        BIG NOCK. IT CATCHES THE STRING WELL. MY BOLTS ARE 5/16" AND 11/32".
                        BOTH SIZES SHOOT GOOD. I SHOOT A X-BOW OF MY OWN DESIGN USING A HAN
                        LOCK. IT ALSO HAS A FIBERGLASS PROD@70#@14"! 1/4"X1/4" FLAT BAR STOCK
                        FROM TAP PLASTIC. $8.50 FOR A 6'PIECE. MAKES 2 PRODS! WRAP IN THIN
                        LEATHER OR PAINT NICELY, PRESTO, AN ALMOST UNBREAKABLE PROD. HAVN'T HAD
                        ANY PROBLEMS IN 5 YEARS!! IT WORKS WELL ENOUGH TO PUT ME IN 7TH PLACE
                        IKAC PERIOD X-BOW. KNOWN WORLD. I AM FINISHING UP MY NEW CROSSBOW NOW.
                        IT IS A 3RD CENTURY B.C. HAN REPLICA. CAN'T SAY IT ISN'T PERIOD!!!! IT
                        WILL USE A KASAI SCYTHIAN BOW AS THE PROD. 80# @ 19 3/4". IT SURE LOOKS
                        GOOD. [HUMBLY, HE SAID] WELL, SORRY TO BE WINDY. ANY QUESTIONS, EITHER
                        EMAIL ME DIRECT OR LETS USE THIS LIST. YOURS IN THE DREAM. LORD ABNER DE
                        PLUNKETT
                        GUILD WARDEN
                        NORTHERN MISTS ARCHERS GUILD
                        WEST KINGDOM
                        PRINCIPALITY OF THE MISTS
                      • D Humberson
                        Message 11 of 21 , Dec 1, 2000
                          Someone mentioned a ring-style butt cap, which allowed split or chipped
                          butts to be repaired with wood glue and sawdust. Could the original poster
                          please re-send that? Meantime, I found 20.5 inch bolts for $37 a dozen that
                          group in a 40 cm gold at 20 yards.

                          Ragnar Ketilsson

                          >From: Scott L Hecathorn <robert1015@...>
                          >To: SCA-Archery@egroups.com
                          >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] crossbow bolts
                          >Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 22:27:24 -0500
                          >
                          >Greetings, just a question, has anyone used a hardwood insert in the butt
                          >end of crossbow shafts? I was just trying to find an alternate way of
                          >reinforcing them so they will last a little longer if I shoot the ends. I
                          >have tried butt caps and I wasn't really to happy with the results. If
                          >anybody out there has any imput, I'm always willing to listen.
                          >
                          >Robert Thorne
                          >GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                          >Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit:
                          >http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

                        • James W. Pratt Jr.
                          Message 12 of 21 , Dec 1, 2000
                            Greetings

                            We have tried both commercial and 9MM shell casings but do not like either.

                            James Cunningham

                            PS tell me privatly how you got the 247 on the winter round and the 400
                            IKAC.

                            > Greetings, just a question, has anyone used a hardwood insert in the butt
                            > end of crossbow shafts? I was just trying to find an alternate way of
                            > reinforcing them so they will last a little longer if I shoot the ends. I
                            > have tried butt caps and I wasn't really to happy with the results. If
                            > anybody out there has any imput, I'm always willing to listen.
                            >
                            > Robert Thorne
                          • Scott L Hecathorn
                            Message 13 of 21 , Dec 1, 2000
                              With my first set of bolts I used the very last 3/16" of the nock as a
                              reinforcement, which did work, if not a little unsightly. It worked out
                              rather well because I was shooting 11/32" and using 5/16" nocks to avoid
                              catching a lip from where the nock met the shaft. But now I am shooting
                              5/16" with brass risers at the end and tried that method a couple of time
                              with many wormburners and mole hunters, some of which I am still finding
                              3 1/2 years later (not that pretty either).

                              Robert Thorne
                              GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                              http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
                            • John edgerton
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 17 9:24 AM
                                I now have an excellent Flemish crossbow made by Siegfried Sebastian
                                Faust. I would like advice on bolt construction for it. It is 185 lbs
                                at 6 inches. What would be the best length and balance point for the
                                bolts and what is better for fletching, two feathers at 9:00 and 3:00
                                or three feathers at 9:00, 12:00 and 3:00. I have some 60 to 65 lb
                                11/32 spine shafts that I will be cutting to make the bolts.

                                Thank you for any help you can give

                                Jon, long time handbow user, now joining the ranks of the evil crossbow
                                users. ;-)

                                Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, O.L., O.P., West, Mists, Esfenn
                                An Archer must be: Keen of eye, steady of hand, fleet of foot and
                                cunning of mind.

                              • Chad and Erin Wilson
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 17 7:57 PM
                                  > Jon, long time handbow user, now joining the ranks of the evil crossbow
                                  > users. ;-)

                                  Welcome to the secret brotherhood, Jon. Our take over of SCA archery will soon
                                  be complete!

                                  Bwuhahahahahaha!

                                  -Caedmon
                                • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 17 8:12 PM
                                    Every crossbow shoots best with the correct bolt. You will have to try
                                    different lenghts, tip weights, fletching and etc. What type of release?
                                    What is the relationship of string travel to the bolt track? What type of
                                    prod? What kind of hold down? What is the size of the string? All these and
                                    more effect accuracy.

                                    James Cunningham

                                    > I now have an excellent Flemish crossbow made by Siegfried Sebastian
                                    > Faust. I would like advice on bolt construction for it. It is 185 lbs
                                    > at 6 inches. What would be the best length and balance point for the
                                    > bolts and what is better for fletching, two feathers at 9:00 and 3:00
                                    > or three feathers at 9:00, 12:00 and 3:00. I have some 60 to 65 lb
                                    > 11/32 spine shafts that I will be cutting to make the bolts.
                                    >
                                    > Thank you for any help you can give
                                    >
                                    > Jon, long time handbow user, now joining the ranks of the evil crossbow
                                    > users. ;-)
                                    >
                                    > Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, O.L., O.P., West, Mists, Esfenn
                                    > An Archer must be: Keen of eye, steady of hand, fleet of foot and
                                    > cunning of mind.

                                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 18 5:10 AM
                                      Great minds think alike James ... That's exactly what I told him, when I
                                      sold it to him :)

                                      Siegfried

                                      At 11:12 PM 7/17/2004, James W. Pratt, Jr. wrote:
                                      >Every crossbow shoots best with the correct bolt. You will have to try
                                      >different lenghts, tip weights, fletching and etc.

                                    • John Rossignol
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 19 3:46 PM
                                        Heh. Sir Jon, weren't you even a little bit worried about a sales pitch
                                        from a guy named "Faust"? ;-)

                                        John

                                        Siegfried Sebastian Faust wrote:

                                        >Great minds think alike James ... That's exactly what I told him, when I
                                        >sold it to him :)

                                      • John edgerton
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 19 5:16 PM
                                          I would not mind dealing with Faust. But I would be wary of signing
                                          anything for the guy with which he made that notorious deal. ;-)

                                          Jon

                                          On Monday, July 19, 2004, at 03:46 PM, John Rossignol wrote:

                                          > Heh. Sir Jon, weren't you even a little bit worried about a sales
                                          > pitch
                                          > from a guy named "Faust"? ;-)
                                          >
                                          > John
                                          >
                                          > Siegfried Sebastian Faust wrote:
                                          >
                                          >> Great minds think alike James ... That's exactly what I told him,
                                          >> when I
                                          >> sold it to him :)

                                        • ronan morton
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Mar 10, 2006
                                            Don't forget that the average long bolt for a crossbow is 1/2 the length of
                                            the average arrow. That means that the spine weight triples because of
                                            geometric progression. I use wooden arrows cut in half on my crossbow. The
                                            arrows started at 70lb spine weight and I safely use them with a 150 lb
                                            crossbow prod.

                                            Ronan MacMorton
                                          • Scott B. Jaqua
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Mar 10, 2006
                                              ronan morton wrote:

                                              >Don't forget that the average long bolt for a crossbow is 1/2 the length of
                                              >the average arrow. That means that the spine weight triples because of
                                              >geometric progression. I use wooden arrows cut in half on my crossbow. The
                                              >arrows started at 70lb spine weight and I safely use them with a 150 lb
                                              >crossbow prod.
                                              >
                                              >Ronan MacMorton

                                              That isn't even really an issue. Oh sure if you have a powerful enough
                                              crossbow, there could be compression issues between the energy imparted
                                              by the string and the inertia of the arrowhead. But only at extreme
                                              poundages.

                                              For the vast majority that will never be an issue. And by definition a
                                              crossbow is center shot. So there is no lateral force applied to the
                                              arrow at all.

                                              Njall