Ring finger blisters

    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 12, 2008
      Anyone else have an issue with a big painful blister forming on the
      outside of the ring finger where the string 'bends' across it regardless
      of whether using a glove or a tab?

      It doesn't seem just a thing of building up a callous. I've been
      shooting wewek after week after week several days a week 200+ arrows
      each time and I've build a callous, but it just continues to blister and
      hurt, and eventually, the callous of dead-skin just peels off leaving
      tender soft skin underneath.

      Technique? Protection type? Two fingers doesn't like the strain of
      not having the third. I haven't looked but I wonder if I"m not trying
      to keep my fingers flat. I will tomorrow. I digress... Anyone have any
      advice? I'm thinking of trying out a thumb ring at some point but money
      will be tight for a while longer.

      --

      // Merry

      ----------
      'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre

    • Carolus
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 12, 2008
        Where is this blister relative to the tip of the finger and the
        distal (last) joint? This will sound weird but it works - rub Corn
        Huskers' Lotion into your hands, then coat liberally with a 50/50 mix
        of talcum powder and corn starch. The lotion moisturizes the skin
        and the powder makes the surface dry and slippery. Unless you have a
        solid grip surface on your bow you may want to wear a latex glove on
        your bow hand when applying the lotion and powder. I did this as
        well as powdering my tab for the 10 years or so I was a serious
        competitor in modern shoots, it helped my release greatly.
        Carolus

        At 09:29 PM 6/12/2008, you wrote:

        >Anyone else have an issue with a big painful blister forming on the
        >outside of the ring finger where the string 'bends' across it regardless
        >of whether using a glove or a tab?
        >
        >It doesn't seem just a thing of building up a callous. I've been
        >shooting wewek after week after week several days a week 200+ arrows
        >each time and I've build a callous, but it just continues to blister and
        >hurt, and eventually, the callous of dead-skin just peels off leaving
        >tender soft skin underneath.
        >
        >Technique? Protection type? Two fingers doesn't like the strain of
        >not having the third. I haven't looked but I wonder if I"m not trying
        >to keep my fingers flat. I will tomorrow. I digress... Anyone have any
        >advice? I'm thinking of trying out a thumb ring at some point but money
        >will be tight for a while longer.
        >
        >--
        >
        >// Merry
      • Fritz
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 12, 2008
          When 'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre put fingers to keys it
          was 6/13/08 12:29 AM...

          > Anyone else have an issue with a big painful blister forming on the
          > outside of the ring finger where the string 'bends' across it regardless
          > of whether using a glove or a tab?...

          Thicker glove on that part of that finger.
          How long is the bow? How long is your draw?

          200 a day is a bunch of shooting to do on a fresh-broken blister or even
          freshly healed skin. I would suggest working up to it. A skin-toughening
          trick we used on our feet before hiking was a twice-daily wipe with
          rubbing alcohol for the week before. It seemed to help build the
          callous. All the same, don't let the callous get too thick or it will
          slough off and you're back to zero.

          --
          Fritz
          Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 13, 2008
            Your elbow is too high.
          • ebpayne
            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 13, 2008
              Back in my days as an Outward Bound instructor (boy was that a while
              ago), we used Tincture of Benzoine on skin we wanted to toughen. In
              our case it was places like heels where hiking boots could give us
              blisters. A blister on the trail was a BIG problem, we were miles from
              anywhere. We could get it from any local pharmacy, over the counter,
              but it was usually kept in back because of low demand.

              Sorcha Prechan
            • John and Carol Atkins
              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 13, 2008
                At the beginning of each season I get two sore spots. One on the
                ring finger as you describe and the other on the side of my index
                finger along the side of the nail between the index finger and the
                middle finger. Ultimately they both form into calouses with time.
                There is a shooting glove that has nylon pads on the finger tips.
                You may try one of those until your calouses form properly. I have
                one but choose not to shoot with it, other than at the very beginning
                of the season, as I can't feel the string as well as I can with a
                deer skin glove.

                cog

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, 'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder

                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 14, 2008
                  Thanks, but with regards to this and all the responses on toughening,
                  I've formed heavy heavy callouses over and over several times in the
                  past few months. They've always peeled off. Like you I also get a
                  little bit of a callous on my index finger as you describe, but nothing
                  so painful, thick, nasty as the one on my ring finger.

                  Teagus, you responded that my elbow is too high. Could I get you to
                  elaborate? I've heard people mention elbow height in the past but in
                  watching videos of competative archers for technique and reading
                  technique books I have really begun to question when people say this.
                  That's not to say that I have any concrete reason to, just that I've not
                  observed not it (It seems that all the olympic level target archers I've
                  watched keep their elbow quite high.) and I've not heard or read much in
                  the way of explanation for why elbow should be higher or lower or
                  otherwise. Thanks.

                  --

                  // Merry

                  ----------
                  'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre

                • ld.blackmoon
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 14, 2008
                    greetings

                    just a quick thought ...

                    with the elbow too high , there is extra pressure applied tothe bottom of the ring finger .

                    most compound shooters , including the olympic variety all use a release mechanism, the use of which requires the back of the hand be nearer the face with the index finger down , thus , the elbow much higher .

                    just a thought.

                    be safe, be happy,havefun
                    arthur

                    --

                    // Merry

                    ----------
                    'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre

                  • Saethryth Seolforlocc
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 14, 2008
                      Whenever I have this happen to me, it is because I am not evenly distributing the string pull across my ring and index finger.  (I keep a little less pressure on my middle finger).

                      ~Sæþrð

                    • Carolus
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 14, 2008
                        While this is true of open division compound shooters, finger
                        shooters need to keep the pressure evenly distributed on all
                        fingers. As the usual release is the three finger Mediterranean
                        release, bows are built with different top and bottom tiller ( or in
                        the case of takedowns, adjustable tiller. This compensates for the
                        increased pull below the arrow from using two fingers below and one
                        above. In order to equalize this pressure, the forearm should be
                        kept level with the elbow and the wrist at the same height above the
                        ground. Ideally, this will be at shoulder height, the shoulder,
                        elbow and wrist all being in the same, horizontal plane. As with all
                        things in sport, this will vary a bit as everyone uses their body a
                        little differently and so wrist angle, shoulder rotation, and other
                        factors can have a major influence on elbow height. A video is the
                        best way to check this.
                        Carolus

                        At 04:34 AM 6/14/2008, you wrote:

                        >greetings
                        >
                        >just a quick thought ...
                        >
                        >with the elbow too high , there is extra pressure applied tothe
                        >bottom of the ring finger .
                        >
                        >most compound shooters , including the olympic variety all use a
                        >release mechanism, the use of which requires the back of the hand be
                        >nearer the face with the index finger down , thus , the elbow much higher .
                        >
                        >just a thought.
                        >
                        >be safe, be happy,havefun
                        >arthur
                      • Edward deWitt
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 14, 2008
                          Merry, could you be hooking the ring finger too far around the string? I notice once in a while that I have mine half way to the second knuckle. this is usually when I am tired or not warmed up. It doesn't take but a few shots like this before I notice that my ring finger is getting sore (with a glove).

                          Edward

                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 14, 2008
                            Good call, but no. I've been paying extra attention to my grip for two
                            reasons. 1. It's the thing I'm currently giving attention to and 2. IT
                            HURTS! *Grin*

                            I've switched to a tab over my deerskin glove (about a month back, a
                            several thousand arrrows) There is far more/thicker/stiffer material,
                            and it does prevent my finger from having any direct contact with the
                            string.

                            --

                            // Merry

                            ----------
                            'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre

                            Message 13 of 24 , Jun 14, 2008
                              To you and Arthur both, I'd not thought about the fact that the videos
                              I've been watching often do have people using mechanical releases and
                              taking that into account in watching the form of their elbows and other
                              body parts. The illustrations in "Archery: Steps to Success" haven't
                              been all that helpful so far either. I would call the position they
                              show 'neutral' as opposed to high or low.

                              You guys have got me thinking about modifying my grip if I can to reduce
                              the pull on that finger but I'm wondering if that's really even possible
                              (I didn't make it to the range today to play). I may just have to go
                              out to the car and get the bow and do some draws in front of a mirror.

                              --

                              // Merry

                              ----------
                              'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre

                            • Joe Klovance
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jun 14, 2008
                                It seems that one thing has been mentioned a couple of times but not emphasised: callous thickness. If a callous is allowed to become too thick it will tear off and one must start all over again. The best thing to do is to allow the callous to grow to a comfortable thickness and then keep it at that thickness by using a nail file (the glass ones are the best).

                                Joe Klovance

                              • arturdubh
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jun 15, 2008
                                  Greetings, Merry;

                                  I've been following this thread, and have a bit to relate...
                                  After using the Mediterranean Release (1 finger above the arrow, 2
                                  below) for at least 3 years with no trouble, I had to change my
                                  release because of the arrow nock digging into my index finger; I
                                  suddenly started getting an extremely painful callous (which would
                                  invariably become a blister when the callous would slough off) on
                                  the "inside" of the finger, immediately next to the nail when using
                                  the "traditional" Mediterranean Release. After switching to 3 fingers
                                  below, the string no longer presses against the edge of my index
                                  finger, and I no longer have to endure that pain. It is my thought
                                  that by changing where my fingers are placed on the string, I also
                                  changed the angle of my hand/wrist/arm/elbow, and everthing became
                                  more evened-out...

                                  Do try changing your finger positions, Merry. You might even try
                                  switching to a 2-finger release. From what you have written, there is
                                  nothing to lose, but much to gain.

                                  --Artúr

                                  Lutre <Merry@...> wrote:

                                  > Anyone else have an issue with a big painful blister forming on the
                                  > outside of the ring finger where the string 'bends' across it
                                  regardless
                                  > of whether using a glove or a tab?
                                  >
                                  > It doesn't seem just a thing of building up a callous. I've been
                                  > shooting wewek after week after week several days a week 200+
                                  arrows
                                  > each time and I've build a callous, but it just continues to
                                  blister and
                                  > hurt, and eventually, the callous of dead-skin just peels off
                                  leaving
                                  > tender soft skin underneath.
                                  >
                                  > Technique? Protection type? Two fingers doesn't like the strain
                                  of
                                  > not having the third. I haven't looked but I wonder if I"m not
                                  trying
                                  > to keep my fingers flat. I will tomorrow. I digress... Anyone
                                  have any
                                  > advice? I'm thinking of trying out a thumb ring at some point but
                                  money
                                  > will be tight for a while longer.
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  >
                                  > // Merry
                                  >
                                  > ----------
                                  > 'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre
                                  > Shire of Standing Stones; Formerly: Philippe Sebastian LeLutre
                                  > Christian M. Cepel --- 573.999.2370 --- Columbia, MO
                                  > http://Thistledowne.org/ http://ShireOfStandingStones.org/
                                  > ICQ:12384980 YIM/AOL:Bramblethorne MSN:Merry@ShireOfS.....
                                  >
                                  > 'Toirdhealbhach' anglicized Tirloughe (1576), modernly 'Turlough',
                                  > pronounced 'TIR' or 'TUR' + 'low', 'logh', 'lock', or 'loch'

                                • Jim L Couch
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jun 15, 2008
                                    I have hesitated in mentioning this, because at first glance one might think
                                    it has nothing to do with your problem.

                                    I play guitar and belong to some great guitar forums. One thing I have
                                    learned is that there are those that have a significant problem with
                                    callous'

                                    Some of us, they grow and harden and form correctly. After a while I grew
                                    the toughness in my skin but now, the callous is mostly gone.
                                    But others will grow them and then after a while will report back that they
                                    just fall off for no apparent reason. The only suggestion I would have is
                                    similar and related to the guitar. Dont practice so hard. Let it develop
                                    but no so much as to strain your fingers. This seems to help our guitarist
                                    that
                                    have similar problems as you. I know, its not the suggestion you want.. but
                                    it might be that you are using it too much. Let it build over time.
                                    See what happens.

                                    Best of luck

                                    Sæmundr the pure

                                    On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 9:20 PM, arturdubh <nasionnaich@...> wrote:

                                    > Greetings, Merry;
                                    >
                                    > I've been following this thread, and have a bit to relate...
                                    > After using the Mediterranean Release (1 finger above the arrow, 2
                                    > below) for at least 3 years with no trouble, I had to change my
                                    > release because of the arrow nock digging into my index finger; I
                                    > suddenly started getting an extremely painful callous (which would
                                    > invariably become a blister when the callous would slough off) on
                                    > the "inside" of the finger, immediately next to the nail when using
                                    > the "traditional" Mediterranean Release. After switching to 3 fingers
                                    > below, the string no longer presses against the edge of my index
                                    > finger, and I no longer have to endure that pain. It is my thought
                                    > that by changing where my fingers are placed on the string, I also
                                    > changed the angle of my hand/wrist/arm/elbow, and everthing became
                                    > more evened-out...
                                    >
                                    > Do try changing your finger positions, Merry. You might even try
                                    > switching to a 2-finger release. From what you have written, there is
                                    > nothing to lose, but much to gain.
                                    >
                                    > --Artúr
                                    >
                                    > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com <SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                    > 'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder
                                    > Lutre <Merry@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Anyone else have an issue with a big painful blister forming on the
                                    > > outside of the ring finger where the string 'bends' across it
                                    > regardless
                                    > > of whether using a glove or a tab?
                                    > >
                                    > > It doesn't seem just a thing of building up a callous. I've been
                                    > > shooting wewek after week after week several days a week 200+
                                    > arrows
                                    > > each time and I've build a callous, but it just continues to
                                    > blister and
                                    > > hurt, and eventually, the callous of dead-skin just peels off
                                    > leaving
                                    > > tender soft skin underneath.
                                    > >
                                    > > Technique? Protection type? Two fingers doesn't like the strain
                                    > of
                                    > > not having the third. I haven't looked but I wonder if I"m not
                                    > trying
                                    > > to keep my fingers flat. I will tomorrow. I digress... Anyone
                                    > have any
                                    > > advice? I'm thinking of trying out a thumb ring at some point but
                                    > money
                                    > > will be tight for a while longer.
                                    > >
                                    > > --
                                    > >
                                    > > // Merry
                                    > >
                                    > > ----------
                                    > > 'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre
                                    > > Shire of Standing Stones; Formerly: Philippe Sebastian LeLutre
                                    > > Christian M. Cepel --- 573.999.2370 --- Columbia, MO
                                    > > http://Thistledowne.org/ <http://thistledowne.org/>
                                    > http://ShireOfStandingStones.org/ <http://shireofstandingstones.org/>
                                    > > ICQ:12384980 YIM/AOL:Bramblethorne MSN:Merry@ShireOfS.....
                                    > >
                                    > > 'Toirdhealbhach' anglicized Tirloughe (1576), modernly 'Turlough',
                                    > > pronounced 'TIR' or 'TUR' + 'low', 'logh', 'lock', or 'loch'

                                    --
                                    God is a scientist, not a magician - Albert Einstein

                                    My life, my hobbies, and pictures at http://jimcouch.googlepages.com/

                                  • Teagus
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jun 15, 2008
                                      Sorry for not getting back sooner. Got an injured 24 year old Marine
                                      door-gunner on his way home from a German hospital.

                                      My bet is your elbo is to high at full draw. Do you ever have a
                                      problem after drawing your arrow with the arrow floating off the shelf
                                      or rest? (Some people use their index finger to hold the arrow in
                                      place). The way to prevent this is called "setting the hook". It is
                                      hard to explain here. First step in drawing is your approach to
                                      gripping the string and arrow. If straight at the target is twelve
                                      o'clock and your bow is pointing at 10 o'clock, then as you come to
                                      full draw , the finger pressure on the string (and the arrow pinched
                                      between your fingers) rotates to the left and the arrow floats off the
                                      shelf. If the bow is pointing at 3 o'clock when you grip the string,
                                      then when you come to full draw, the string and arrow is rotated into
                                      the bow. You should be able to turn the bow on it's side and the arrow
                                      should still be in place. If you need to have the elbow high to get
                                      leverage to draw it back, you may be a tad over-bowed. High elbow at
                                      full draw puts painfull pressure on the lower finger. Borrow a bow 5
                                      lbs. lighter and see if that helps while your finger pain
                                      subsides.Permanent damage to joints (wrist,elbo,shoulder) is not worth
                                      that 5 lbs.

                                      TK
                                    • Andrew
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jun 16, 2008
                                        For some reason I don't know why but everytime I read just the title of
                                        this thread I hear Dire Straits Money for Nothing.....

                                        Money For Nothing

                                        Look at them yo-yo's
                                        That's the way you do it
                                        Play the banjo on the MTV
                                        That ain't workin' that's the way to do it
                                        Money for nothin' chicks for free
                                        That ain't working that's the way to do it
                                        Lemme tell ya them guy's ain't dumb
                                        Maybe get a blister on you little finger
                                        May get a buster on you thumb.

                                        We gotta install microwave ovens
                                        Custom kitchen deliveries
                                        We gotta move these refrigerators
                                        We gotta move these colour TV's

                                      • arturdubh
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jun 17, 2008
                                          Now that it's been mentioned....yeah, I get a song in my head, too.
                                          Only, it's one from the Beatles, where at the end of the song
                                          somebody screams "I've got a blister on my finger!" Just wish I could
                                          remember the neame of the song....

                                          No need to post it, though. It ain't really that important. :-)

                                          --Artúr

                                          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <aharndts67@...> wrote:

                                          > For some reason I don't know why but everytime I read just the
                                          title of
                                          > this thread I hear Dire Straits Money for Nothing.....
                                          >
                                          > Money For Nothing
                                          >

                                          > Look at them yo-yo's
                                          > That's the way you do it
                                          > Play the banjo on the MTV
                                          > That ain't workin' that's the way to do it
                                          > Money for nothin' chicks for free
                                          > That ain't working that's the way to do it
                                          > Lemme tell ya them guy's ain't dumb
                                          > Maybe get a blister on you little finger
                                          > May get a buster on you thumb.
                                          >
                                          > We gotta install microwave ovens
                                          > Custom kitchen deliveries
                                          > We gotta move these refrigerators
                                          > We gotta move these colour TV's

                                        • Ce'tach Fitzgibbon
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jun 18, 2008
                                            The song is Helter Skelter..

                                            Cetach

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jul 7, 2008
                                              I must confess that I have a problem with once the callous starts to
                                              separate someplace, be it from shooting bow, or from playing mando,
                                              guitar, or classical, I can't leave it alone and will usually help it
                                              along. I think with ADD, and OCD I struggle with Trichotillomania
                                              <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichotillomania> and/or Dermatillomania
                                              <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermatillomania>. (I'm a freak)

                                              Sorry to take so long to follow up with folks, but other things have
                                              been on my mind. I found a huge improvement by concentrating (as
                                              someone suggested) on distributing the draw more evenly across all three
                                              fingers. It's still a bit problematic, even when I mange not pick the
                                              callous but it dries out and cracks down to the quick, but I'm hoping as
                                              new skin comes in with improved finger draw technique I'll minimize the
                                              risk of it happening more. If not I'll give three-under or 2-finger a
                                              try. I have a roll of a foam-tape kind of like a bulk-mole-foam/skin
                                              but not fuzzy that I've been using to pad that finger and it's been
                                              helping a lot. Not certain how anxious I am to try some of the
                                              chemicals suggested to intentionally trigger skin toughening, but we'll
                                              see how it goes.

                                              I'm grateful to all the feedback. Such a wealth of knowledge in the group.

                                            • Talmon Parker
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jul 7, 2008
                                                hi Merry: I have been following this thread for a while. I had a auto wreck a few years ago, I lost the pupil, lens and cornea of my right eye. So I had to change to my left eye. I became left eye dominant at once.I also had my left wrist broken in two places. This required steel pins, Later removed,. It took me several years to get where I could draw a bow [45#]. Finally went down to a 30# Still hurts to shoot too many arrows in one day.
                                                Due to my age, they don't give me to hard of a time about it thou.
                                                Now ,down to the gist of the matter thou. I tried ever thing that I could to learn to shoot better. I finally ended up with a very unorthodox release,
                                                sense the wrist of my left hand is weak I have had to draw with all three fingers,But when I reach my anchor point, I release my fore finger away from the string holding the draw with only my middle and ring fingers.I have very thin skin now, and for the last few years I have had no problems with string bite. It takes a while to get used to, but for me it does work. Good luck with your problem.
                                                Talmon Parker

                                                DER BARON

                                                To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                                                From: Merry@...
                                                Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 14:15:52 -0500

                                                Jim L Couch wrote:

> [...]

                                                >> trying

                                                >>> to keep my fingers flat. I will tomorrow. I digress... Anyone

                                                >> have any

                                                >>> advice? I'm thinking of trying out a thumb ring at some point but

                                                >> money

                                                >>> will be tight for a while longer.

                                                >>> --

                                                >>> // Merry

                                                >>> ----------

                                                >>> 'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre

                                                >>> Shire of Standing Stones; Formerly: Philippe Sebastian LeLutre

                                                >>> Christian M. Cepel --- 573.999.2370 --- Columbia, MO

                                                >>> http://Thistledowne.org/ <http://thistledowne.org/>

                                                >> http://ShireOfStandingStones.org/ <http://shireofstandingstones.org/>

                                                >>> ICQ:12384980 YIM/AOL:Bramblethorne MSN:Merry@ShireOfS.....

                                                >>> 'Toirdhealbhach' anglicized Tirloughe (1576), modernly 'Turlough',

                                                >>> pronounced 'TIR' or 'TUR' + 'low', 'logh', 'lock', or 'loch'

                                              • Frederick Fenters
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jul 7, 2008
                                                  Baron Talmon,

                                                  As I have said here and in other venues, one of the greatest assets we have
                                                  in this family is the wisdom we receive from folks such as yourself and Sir
                                                  Jon. I have been following this thread myself , not wanting to throw in
                                                  anything that my own limited experience tells me may or may not be of use.
                                                  Such experience as yours tells me often that I still have much to learn.

                                                  Please accept thanks from me for your wisdom shared and for the experience
                                                  you so richly demonstrate when we hear from you. The same to Sir Jon and
                                                  all of you veterans who help us keep things going.

                                                  Padraig MacRaighne

                                                  _____

                                                  From: Merry@ShireOfStandi <mailto:Merry%40ShireOfStandingStones.org>
                                                  ngStones.org
                                                  Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 14:15:52 -0500

                                                  I must confess that I have a problem with once the callous starts to

                                                  separate someplace, be it from shooting bow, or from playing mando,

                                                  guitar, or classical, I can't leave it alone and will usually help it

                                                  along. I think with ADD, and OCD I struggle with Trichotillomania

                                                  <http://en.wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichotillomania>
                                                  .org/wiki/Trichotillomania> and/or Dermatillomania

                                                  <http://en.wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermatillomania>

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jul 7, 2008
                                                    Recently I have been doing a lot of digging in my garden and have had
                                                    some serious callous' developing on my hands. I have taken to using
                                                    Corn Husker's lotion on them every day and it has kept them soft and
                                                    prevented the usual peeling I tend to notice after a while. Might try that.
                                                    Carolus