Re: [SCA-Archery] Archery books free for download (well, reading) online.

  • Carolus
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 5, 2008
      The Internet Archive has much good material of this type available at
      http://www.archive.org/details/texts
      Carolus

      At 07:29 AM 6/5/2008, you wrote:

      >I was thinking that I was going to see about getting a copy of
      >Toxophilus via interlibrary loan and seeing if I could find a book
      >someone recommended as an intriguing read, "The Witchery of Archery" and
      >discovered this site in the process:
      ><http://www.archerylibrary.com/books/>http://www.archerylibrary.com/books/
      >There are a few prints and
      >articles, but nothing in our period. I do wish it were in a format that
      >one could download and read offline in a single file that could be
      >searched but this begger cannot be a chooser.
      >
      >These two books and many others that are now out of copyright seem to be
      >available for free much like the resources in Project Gutenberg
      ><<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Gutenberg>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Gutenberg>.
      >I'm not finding
      >anything of archery topic on the PG site but that doesn't mean there
      >won't be such in the future.
      >
      >Has anyone run across this or similar resources before?
      >
      >--
      >
      >// Merry
    • John edgerton
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2008
        Thanks. I have wanted "Shakespeare as an Archer" for some time.

        Jon

        On Jun 5, 2008, at 7:51 AM, Carolus wrote:

        > The Internet Archive has much good material of this type available at
        > http://www.archive.org/details/texts
        > Carolus

      • jameswolfden
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 5, 2008
          You did notice that they have reprint of Toxophilus. Search the net
          for Toxophilus. There was a downloadable version at one time. I'm
          sure it is the same copy on the archery library page.

          By the way, new people to the list should check out the links and
          files page on the group site. Sometimes someone else looking for the
          same information has posted the link to our links area.

          James

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, 'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder
          Lutre <Merry@...> wrote:

          > I was thinking that I was going to see about getting a copy of
          > Toxophilus via interlibrary loan and seeing if I could find a book
          > someone recommended as an intriguing read, "The Witchery of
          Archery" and
          > discovered this site in the process:
          > http://www.archerylibrary.com/books/ There are a few prints and
          > articles, but nothing in our period. I do wish it were in a
          format that
          > one could download and read offline in a single file that could be
          > searched but this begger cannot be a chooser.
          >
          > These two books and many others that are now out of copyright seem
          to be
          > available for free much like the resources in Project Gutenberg
          > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Gutenberg>. I'm not finding
          > anything of archery topic on the PG site but that doesn't mean
          there
          > won't be such in the future.
          >
          > Has anyone run across this or similar resources before?
          >
          > --
          >
          > // Merry
          >
          > ----------
          > 'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre
          > Shire of Standing Stones; Formerly: Philippe Sebastian LeLutre
          > Christian M. Cepel --- 573.999.2370 --- Columbia, MO
          > http://Thistledowne.org/ http://ShireOfStandingStones.org/
          > ICQ:12384980 YIM/AOL:Bramblethorne MSN:Merry@ShireOfS.....
          >
          > 'Toirdhealbhach' anglicized Tirloughe (1576), modernly 'Turlough',
          > pronounced 'TIR' or 'TUR' + 'low', 'logh', 'lock', or 'loch'

        • Metin Ates
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 5, 2008
            http://books.google.com is amazing resource. Just seach your phrases about
            archery. You'll have full authorisation public licensed books and you can
            search in copyrighted materials and see some sample pages.

            Here is some books in my "library":

            - http://books.google.com/books?id=EJQwAAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&hl=en
            - http://books.google.com/books?id=Tk0QAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&hl=en
            -