Archery books free for download (well, reading) online.

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 5, 2008
      I was thinking that I was going to see about getting a copy of
      Toxophilus via interlibrary loan and seeing if I could find a book
      someone recommended as an intriguing read, "The Witchery of Archery" and
      discovered this site in the process:
      http://www.archerylibrary.com/books/ There are a few prints and
      articles, but nothing in our period. I do wish it were in a format that
      one could download and read offline in a single file that could be
      searched but this begger cannot be a chooser.

      These two books and many others that are now out of copyright seem to be
      available for free much like the resources in Project Gutenberg
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Gutenberg>. I'm not finding
      anything of archery topic on the PG site but that doesn't mean there
      won't be such in the future.

      Has anyone run across this or similar resources before?

      --

      // Merry

      ----------
      'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre

    • Carolus
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2008
        The Internet Archive has much good material of this type available at
        http://www.archive.org/details/texts
        Carolus

        At 07:29 AM 6/5/2008, you wrote:

        >I was thinking that I was going to see about getting a copy of
        >Toxophilus via interlibrary loan and seeing if I could find a book
        >someone recommended as an intriguing read, "The Witchery of Archery" and
        >discovered this site in the process:
        ><http://www.archerylibrary.com/books/>http://www.archerylibrary.com/books/
        >There are a few prints and
        >articles, but nothing in our period. I do wish it were in a format that
        >one could download and read offline in a single file that could be
        >searched but this begger cannot be a chooser.
        >
        >These two books and many others that are now out of copyright seem to be
        >available for free much like the resources in Project Gutenberg
        ><<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Gutenberg>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Gutenberg>.
        >I'm not finding
        >anything of archery topic on the PG site but that doesn't mean there
        >won't be such in the future.
        >
        >Has anyone run across this or similar resources before?
        >
        >--
        >
        >// Merry
      • John edgerton
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 5, 2008
          Thanks. I have wanted "Shakespeare as an Archer" for some time.

          Jon

          On Jun 5, 2008, at 7:51 AM, Carolus wrote:

          > The Internet Archive has much good material of this type available at
          > http://www.archive.org/details/texts
          > Carolus

        • jameswolfden
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 5, 2008
            You did notice that they have reprint of Toxophilus. Search the net
            for Toxophilus. There was a downloadable version at one time. I'm
            sure it is the same copy on the archery library page.

            By the way, new people to the list should check out the links and
            files page on the group site. Sometimes someone else looking for the
            same information has posted the link to our links area.

            James

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, 'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder
            Lutre <Merry@...> wrote:

            > I was thinking that I was going to see about getting a copy of
            > Toxophilus via interlibrary loan and seeing if I could find a book
            > someone recommended as an intriguing read, "The Witchery of
            Archery" and
            > discovered this site in the process:
            > http://www.archerylibrary.com/books/ There are a few prints and
            > articles, but nothing in our period. I do wish it were in a
            format that
            > one could download and read offline in a single file that could be
            > searched but this begger cannot be a chooser.
            >
            > These two books and many others that are now out of copyright seem
            to be
            > available for free much like the resources in Project Gutenberg
            > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Gutenberg>. I'm not finding
            > anything of archery topic on the PG site but that doesn't mean
            there
            > won't be such in the future.
            >
            > Has anyone run across this or similar resources before?
            >
            > --
            >
            > // Merry
            >
            > ----------
            > 'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre
            > Shire of Standing Stones; Formerly: Philippe Sebastian LeLutre
            > Christian M. Cepel --- 573.999.2370 --- Columbia, MO
            > http://Thistledowne.org/ http://ShireOfStandingStones.org/
            > ICQ:12384980 YIM/AOL:Bramblethorne MSN:Merry@ShireOfS.....
            >
            > 'Toirdhealbhach' anglicized Tirloughe (1576), modernly 'Turlough',
            > pronounced 'TIR' or 'TUR' + 'low', 'logh', 'lock', or 'loch'

          • Metin Ates
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 5, 2008
              http://books.google.com is amazing resource. Just seach your phrases about
              archery. You'll have full authorisation public licensed books and you can
              search in copyrighted materials and see some sample pages.

              Here is some books in my "library":

              - http://books.google.com/books?id=EJQwAAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&hl=en
              - http://books.google.com/books?id=Tk0QAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&hl=en
              -