RE: [SCA-Archery] Re: Making one's own thumbring: Resources? Sculpty? - Followup

  • Talmon Parker
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 4, 2008
      If You want a clean supply of aluminum, you might want to go to your local welding supply. there you can purchase a small roll of aluminum
      welding wire. no oil or flux. just keep cutting off pieces ,till you get enough to cast with.You can get a harder grade of material also.
      You can use the rest of the roll to make chain link garb with. Looks bright and shinny, and wont get your clothes all rusty.
      A large stainless serving spoon taped or wired to a small stick or board will do as a suitable ladle. I you want a side pouring lip. Just bend the spoon with pliers to make a spout.
      Lots of luck Talmon

      DER BARON

      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      From: eulenhorst@...
      Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 23:20:54 -0700
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Making one's own thumbring: Resources? Sculpty? - Followup

      Actually, you wouldn't want an open fire as a heat source for

      aluminum. It is far too reactive and will result in too many

      inclusions and slag when exposed to fire. Electric furnaces are used

      for melting aluminum. This is why it wasn't used commercially prior

      to the early 20th century.

      Carolus

      At 03:10 PM 6/3/2008, you wrote:

      >I suspect if you were wanting to go the clay-route, you would

      >probably need some porcelain china grade clay, and firing temps that

      >are somewhat beyond backyard firing capabilities. Much easier would

      >be bronze casting, which can be done pretty easily. Aluminum might

      >work as well, in which case you could do it with a carved piece of

      >wax, your sculpey for a mold, a ceramic coffee cup for a crucible,

      >crushed pop cans for an aluminum source, and a campfire as a heat

      >source. I'm not exactly sure what you would use for a ladle to

      >scoop out the foam from the top of the molten aluminum before

      >pouring, but you could probably figure out something.

      >Obviously, this is not a safe activity, and you should do it on your

      >own time and after doing research on safety precations, etc...

      >Logan

    • Talmon Parker

        From: eulenhorst@...
        Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 23:20:54 -0700

        At 03:10 PM 6/3/2008, you wrote:

        >I suspect if you were wanting to go the clay-route, you would

        >probably need some porcelain china grade clay, and firing temps that

        >are somewhat beyond backyard firing capabilities. Much easier would

        >be bronze casting, which can be done pretty easily. Aluminum might

        >work as well, in which case you could do it with a carved piece of

        >wax, your sculpey for a mold, a ceramic coffee cup for a crucible,

        >crushed pop cans for an aluminum source, and a campfire as a heat

        >source. I'm not exactly sure what you would use for a ladle to

        >scoop out the foam from the top of the molten aluminum before

        >pouring, but you could probably figure out something.

        >Obviously, this is not a safe activity, and you should do it on your

        >own time and after doing research on safety precations, etc...

        >Logan

      • Joe Klovance
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 4, 2008
          Since we are considering a non-period material, aluminium, why not try something completely different; aluminium impregnated epoxy putty. It is quite a tough material that can be formed into a rough shape around a mandrel then finished using files and sandpaper. It should be tough enough and not involve fire.

          Joe Klovance
        • Metin Ates
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 5, 2008
            Try "Delrin" (a kind of thermoplastic from DuPond and harder then metal).
            This is the best materials to make thumbring. Our thumbring-maker Ekrem
            chooses this material.
            Also you should try Plexyglass. These are better from any metal even
            aluminium.

            Metina