Re: Makeing one's own thumbring: Resources? Sculpty? - Followup

  • Steven Fuller
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 4, 2008
      Very true. I've read that, when one's draw and release is *perfect*
      with a thumb ring, it shouldn't matter what side of the bow you shoot
      from. I, however, am far from that level of expertise... :)

      I did, actually, start using the thumb ring while loading the bow on
      the left side. It just felt weird. And the arrow kept wanting to lean
      left, off the bow. When I load on the right side, my index knuckle of
      my draw hand (right hand) kinda pushes the arrow against my bow,
      keeping it on there. Works out nicely.

      --Rhys.

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "George Bottorf"
      <PLUNKETTARCHER@...> wrote:

      > Greetings. Not to worry about brass thumb rings. Seems the Romans
      used bronze rings. Have seen pictures, pretty nice. Some folk also
      shoot thumbring put arrow on left side of bow. He is top Mongolian
      archer. Works for him. Trick seems to just do it, not worry who
      does/doesn't like it! I wonder how a longbow would respond to use of
      thumbring. HHHMMMMM. Oh well. YIS, Abner de Plunkett. West Kingdom
      archer/crossbowman

      Sculpty? - Followup

> [...]
      > bit, but you get used to it, and then the calluses form and it's okay.
      > But learning to shoot with a thumb ring really redefines how you look
      > at archery. It's almost as if you have to learn how to shoot all over
      > again.
      >
      > And if you plan on shooting western style, as well, I would recommend
      > getting a bow to use *just* for thumb ring, and use a different one
      > for western style (I use a horse bow for Mongolian and then a Martin
      > X-200 recurve for western). I find it hard to switch between the two
      > styles while using the same bow. It fries my brain. :) Plus,
      > traditionally a right-handed archer will load a bow on the RIGHT side
      > when using a thumb ring.
      >
      > -Rhys Cantor.
      > Great Dark Horde
      > Kingdom of Atlantia
      >
      > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, 'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder
      > Lutre <Merry@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Btw folks. I had already purchased some Scuply before the
      > > conversation on the topic had gotten underway and I finally was in
      > front
      > > of a TV at a friend's house with idle hands a week or two ago and
      had a
      > > go. Having never used it before it's possible that I didn't
      cure/cook
      > > it properly, but I'm thinking that this isn't the case, and my
      > > conclusion is that the stuff is useful for decoration only and not
      > up to
      > > even a fraction of the stresses involved. Oh well. It looked
      pretty
      > > until squeezed it to see if it would take any use and it crushed
      > like a bug.
      > >
      > > 'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre wrote:
      > > > Wow. Excellent. I had also forgotten about what's in my own
      back
      > > > yard here at MU (Not that one can see them.. they are all in
      storage)
      > > > http://anthromuseum.missouri.edu/online/thumbring/thumbring.shtml
      > > >
      > > > Was surprised to find a wikipedia article... links to a page on
      > how to
      > > > make a thumb ring from a billiard ball *boggle*
      > > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thumb_ring
      > > >
      > > > Thank you!

      > pricy. A lot of work to make, tho. I went looking for info and found a
      > bunch of it! I found the best info on Korean archery. Let me show you.
      > follow all pages. A lot of info there. All 3 sites good.
      > Just a bit of cut and trim. Not real fancy, but mine should work as
      > soon as I finish sanding it a bit. BTW, the pvc ring is the female
      > design. The Sugakji is the male version. I will try both and see which
      > works for me. There, that should hold you for a spell. You might
      > also want to search just for Thumb Rings. Can't hurt. More info. I
      > plan to use a low pondage bow to learn the use of the ring! No sense
      > in hurting yourself at the start. I hope this will be of some small
      > use for you. YIS, Abner de Plunkett. West Kingdom archer and

    • Talmon Parker
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 4, 2008
        If You want a clean supply of aluminum, you might want to go to your local welding supply. there you can purchase a small roll of aluminum
        welding wire. no oil or flux. just keep cutting off pieces ,till you get enough to cast with.You can get a harder grade of material also.
        You can use the rest of the roll to make chain link garb with. Looks bright and shinny, and wont get your clothes all rusty.
        A large stainless serving spoon taped or wired to a small stick or board will do as a suitable ladle. I you want a side pouring lip. Just bend the spoon with pliers to make a spout.
        Lots of luck Talmon

        DER BARON

        To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
        From: eulenhorst@...
        Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 23:20:54 -0700
        Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Making one's own thumbring: Resources? Sculpty? - Followup

        Actually, you wouldn't want an open fire as a heat source for

        aluminum. It is far too reactive and will result in too many

        inclusions and slag when exposed to fire. Electric furnaces are used

        for melting aluminum. This is why it wasn't used commercially prior

        to the early 20th century.

        Carolus

        At 03:10 PM 6/3/2008, you wrote:

        >I suspect if you were wanting to go the clay-route, you would

        >probably need some porcelain china grade clay, and firing temps that

        >are somewhat beyond backyard firing capabilities. Much easier would

        >be bronze casting, which can be done pretty easily. Aluminum might

        >work as well, in which case you could do it with a carved piece of

        >wax, your sculpey for a mold, a ceramic coffee cup for a crucible,

        >crushed pop cans for an aluminum source, and a campfire as a heat

        >source. I'm not exactly sure what you would use for a ladle to

        >scoop out the foam from the top of the molten aluminum before

        >pouring, but you could probably figure out something.

        >Obviously, this is not a safe activity, and you should do it on your

        >own time and after doing research on safety precations, etc...

        >Logan

      • Talmon Parker

          From: eulenhorst@...
          Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 23:20:54 -0700

          At 03:10 PM 6/3/2008, you wrote:

          >I suspect if you were wanting to go the clay-route, you would

          >probably need some porcelain china grade clay, and firing temps that

          >are somewhat beyond backyard firing capabilities. Much easier would

          >be bronze casting, which can be done pretty easily. Aluminum might

          >work as well, in which case you could do it with a carved piece of

          >wax, your sculpey for a mold, a ceramic coffee cup for a crucible,

          >crushed pop cans for an aluminum source, and a campfire as a heat

          >source. I'm not exactly sure what you would use for a ladle to

          >scoop out the foam from the top of the molten aluminum before

          >pouring, but you could probably figure out something.

          >Obviously, this is not a safe activity, and you should do it on your

          >own time and after doing research on safety precations, etc...

          >Logan

        • Joe Klovance
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 4, 2008
            Since we are considering a non-period material, aluminium, why not try something completely different; aluminium impregnated epoxy putty. It is quite a tough material that can be formed into a rough shape around a mandrel then finished using files and sandpaper. It should be tough enough and not involve fire.

            Joe Klovance
          • Metin Ates
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 5, 2008
              Try "Delrin" (a kind of thermoplastic from DuPond and harder then metal).
              This is the best materials to make thumbring. Our thumbring-maker Ekrem
              chooses this material.
              Also you should try Plexyglass. These are better from any metal even
              aluminium.

              Metina