Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Makeing one's own thumbring: Resources? Sculpty? - Followup

  • George Bottorf
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 4, 2008
      Greetings. Not to worry about brass thumb rings. Seems the Romans used bronze rings. Have seen pictures, pretty nice. Some folk also shoot thumbring put arrow on left side of bow. He is top Mongolian archer. Works for him. Trick seems to just do it, not worry who does/doesn't like it! I wonder how a longbow would respond to use of thumbring. HHHMMMMM. Oh well. YIS, Abner de Plunkett. West Kingdom archer/crossbowman

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 4, 2008
        Very true. I've read that, when one's draw and release is *perfect*
        with a thumb ring, it shouldn't matter what side of the bow you shoot
        from. I, however, am far from that level of expertise... :)

        I did, actually, start using the thumb ring while loading the bow on
        the left side. It just felt weird. And the arrow kept wanting to lean
        left, off the bow. When I load on the right side, my index knuckle of
        my draw hand (right hand) kinda pushes the arrow against my bow,
        keeping it on there. Works out nicely.

        --Rhys.

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "George Bottorf"
        <PLUNKETTARCHER@...> wrote:

        > Greetings. Not to worry about brass thumb rings. Seems the Romans
        used bronze rings. Have seen pictures, pretty nice. Some folk also
        shoot thumbring put arrow on left side of bow. He is top Mongolian
        archer. Works for him. Trick seems to just do it, not worry who
        does/doesn't like it! I wonder how a longbow would respond to use of
        thumbring. HHHMMMMM. Oh well. YIS, Abner de Plunkett. West Kingdom
        archer/crossbowman

        Sculpty? - Followup

> [...]
        > > > make a thumb ring from a billiard ball *boggle*
        > > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thumb_ring
        > > >
        > > > Thank you!

        > pricy. A lot of work to make, tho. I went looking for info and found a
        > bunch of it! I found the best info on Korean archery. Let me show you.
        > follow all pages. A lot of info there. All 3 sites good.
        > Just a bit of cut and trim. Not real fancy, but mine should work as
        > soon as I finish sanding it a bit. BTW, the pvc ring is the female
        > design. The Sugakji is the male version. I will try both and see which
        > works for me. There, that should hold you for a spell. You might
        > also want to search just for Thumb Rings. Can't hurt. More info. I
        > plan to use a low pondage bow to learn the use of the ring! No sense
        > in hurting yourself at the start. I hope this will be of some small
        > use for you. YIS, Abner de Plunkett. West Kingdom archer and

      • Talmon Parker
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 4, 2008
          If You want a clean supply of aluminum, you might want to go to your local welding supply. there you can purchase a small roll of aluminum
          welding wire. no oil or flux. just keep cutting off pieces ,till you get enough to cast with.You can get a harder grade of material also.
          You can use the rest of the roll to make chain link garb with. Looks bright and shinny, and wont get your clothes all rusty.
          A large stainless serving spoon taped or wired to a small stick or board will do as a suitable ladle. I you want a side pouring lip. Just bend the spoon with pliers to make a spout.
          Lots of luck Talmon

          DER BARON

          To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
          From: eulenhorst@...
          Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 23:20:54 -0700

          Actually, you wouldn't want an open fire as a heat source for

          aluminum. It is far too reactive and will result in too many

          inclusions and slag when exposed to fire. Electric furnaces are used

          for melting aluminum. This is why it wasn't used commercially prior

          to the early 20th century.

          Carolus

          At 03:10 PM 6/3/2008, you wrote:

          >I suspect if you were wanting to go the clay-route, you would

          >probably need some porcelain china grade clay, and firing temps that

          >are somewhat beyond backyard firing capabilities. Much easier would

          >be bronze casting, which can be done pretty easily. Aluminum might

          >work as well, in which case you could do it with a carved piece of

          >wax, your sculpey for a mold, a ceramic coffee cup for a crucible,

          >crushed pop cans for an aluminum source, and a campfire as a heat

          >source. I'm not exactly sure what you would use for a ladle to

          >scoop out the foam from the top of the molten aluminum before

          >pouring, but you could probably figure out something.

          >Obviously, this is not a safe activity, and you should do it on your

          >own time and after doing research on safety precations, etc...

          >Logan

        • Talmon Parker

            From: eulenhorst@...
            Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 23:20:54 -0700

            At 03:10 PM 6/3/2008, you wrote:

            >I suspect if you were wanting to go the clay-route, you would

            >probably need some porcelain china grade clay, and firing temps that

            >are somewhat beyond backyard firing capabilities. Much easier would

            >be bronze casting, which can be done pretty easily. Aluminum might

            >work as well, in which case you could do it with a carved piece of

            >wax, your sculpey for a mold, a ceramic coffee cup for a crucible,

            >crushed pop cans for an aluminum source, and a campfire as a heat

            >source. I'm not exactly sure what you would use for a ladle to

            >scoop out the foam from the top of the molten aluminum before

            >pouring, but you could probably figure out something.

            >Obviously, this is not a safe activity, and you should do it on your

            >own time and after doing research on safety precations, etc...

            >Logan

          • Joe Klovance
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 4, 2008
              Since we are considering a non-period material, aluminium, why not try something completely different; aluminium impregnated epoxy putty. It is quite a tough material that can be formed into a rough shape around a mandrel then finished using files and sandpaper. It should be tough enough and not involve fire.

              Joe Klovance
            • Metin Ates
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 5, 2008
                Try "Delrin" (a kind of thermoplastic from DuPond and harder then metal).
                This is the best materials to make thumbring. Our thumbring-maker Ekrem
                chooses this material.
                Also you should try Plexyglass. These are better from any metal even
                aluminium.

                Metina