Re: Makeing one's own thumbring: Resources? Sculpty? - Followup

  • Steven Fuller
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 4, 2008
      Yeah, having shot with a thumb ring for about a year now, I certainly
      wouldn't recommend Sculpey for this. Mine is made of brass (not
      generally period, though later I will look into making one out of
      horn), and it, of course, stands up to the stress of the pull (Kassai
      Mongol horse bow, 47# @ 30").

      Regardless of the materials used, you will get MAJOR calluses, if not
      blisters, when using it for the first month or two. It does hurt a
      bit, but you get used to it, and then the calluses form and it's okay.
      But learning to shoot with a thumb ring really redefines how you look
      at archery. It's almost as if you have to learn how to shoot all over
      again.

      And if you plan on shooting western style, as well, I would recommend
      getting a bow to use *just* for thumb ring, and use a different one
      for western style (I use a horse bow for Mongolian and then a Martin
      X-200 recurve for western). I find it hard to switch between the two
      styles while using the same bow. It fries my brain. :) Plus,
      traditionally a right-handed archer will load a bow on the RIGHT side
      when using a thumb ring.

      -Rhys Cantor.
      Great Dark Horde
      Kingdom of Atlantia

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, 'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder
      Lutre <Merry@...> wrote:

      > Btw folks. I had already purchased some Scuply before the
      > conversation on the topic had gotten underway and I finally was in
      front
      > of a TV at a friend's house with idle hands a week or two ago and had a
      > go. Having never used it before it's possible that I didn't cure/cook
      > it properly, but I'm thinking that this isn't the case, and my
      > conclusion is that the stuff is useful for decoration only and not
      up to
      > even a fraction of the stresses involved. Oh well. It looked pretty
      > until squeezed it to see if it would take any use and it crushed
      like a bug.

      > 'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre wrote:
      > > Wow. Excellent. I had also forgotten about what's in my own back
      > > yard here at MU (Not that one can see them.. they are all in storage)
      > > http://anthromuseum.missouri.edu/online/thumbring/thumbring.shtml
      > >
      > > Was surprised to find a wikipedia article... links to a page on
      how to
      > > make a thumb ring from a billiard ball *boggle*
      > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thumb_ring
      > >
      > > Thank you!
      > >
      > > George Bottorf wrote:
      > >
      > >> Greetings, Merry. I agree the price of thumb rings is a bit
      pricy. A lot of work to make, tho. I went looking for info and found a
      bunch of it! I found the best info on Korean archery. Let me show you.
      > >> 1- Search: Sugakji thumb rings.
      > >> got 3 sites. Wooden thumb rings. Use previous and next to
      follow all pages. A lot of info there. All 3 sites good.
      > >> 2- Go to ATARN.ORG Look around. Much stuff there.
      > >> 3- Korean Traditonal Archery.Org. Ditto.
      > >> 4- Go to Leatherwall. Ditto.
      > >> 5- Look at Sugakji thumb ring tutorial.
      > >> 6-You can use a 3/4" pvc 45 degree elbow to make a thumb ring.
      Just a bit of cut and trim. Not real fancy, but mine should work as
      soon as I finish sanding it a bit. BTW, the pvc ring is the female
      design. The Sugakji is the male version. I will try both and see which
      works for me. There, that should hold you for a spell. You might
      also want to search just for Thumb Rings. Can't hurt. More info. I
      plan to use a low pondage bow to learn the use of the ring! No sense
      in hurting yourself at the start. I hope this will be of some small
      use for you. YIS, Abner de Plunkett. West Kingdom archer and
      crossbowman.

      Sculpty?

      > >> I'm afraid the $32+ hand-carved horn thumbrings from Three Rivers
      are a
      > >> little out of my price range at the moment and I'd like to have a
      go at
      > >> making my own (200 arrows a day is leaving my ring finger quite
      swollen).

      > >> Wondering if anyone knows of any good online resources with
      instructions
      > >> for constructing one's own thumbring.
      > >>
      > >> I'm also wondering if any of the bake-able polymer sculpting clay
      > >> products like Sculpey
      > >> <http://www.sculpey.com/Products/products_poly_origsculp.htm>or
      Sculpey
      > >> Ultra-light, et. al., will work for this. I've thought about
      trying to
      > >> file down Schedule 80 or 40 PVC pipe and boiling it to let me
      shape it
      > >> (I've used an oven before to straighten schedule 80 pipe when making
      > >> Irish Flutes before, being careful to vent fumes. I think it
      softens
      > >> around 300 degrees F).
      > >>

      > --
      >
      > // Merry
      >
      > ----------
      > 'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre
      > Shire of Standing Stones; Formerly: Philippe Sebastian LeLutre
      > Christian M. Cepel --- 573.999.2370 --- Columbia, MO
      > http://Thistledowne.org/ http://ShireOfStandingStones.org/
      > ICQ:12384980 YIM/AOL:Bramblethorne MSN:Merry@ShireOfS.....
      >
      > 'Toirdhealbhach' anglicized Tirloughe (1576), modernly 'Turlough',
      > pronounced 'TIR' or 'TUR' + 'low', 'logh', 'lock', or 'loch'

    • George Bottorf
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 4, 2008
        Greetings. Not to worry about brass thumb rings. Seems the Romans used bronze rings. Have seen pictures, pretty nice. Some folk also shoot thumbring put arrow on left side of bow. He is top Mongolian archer. Works for him. Trick seems to just do it, not worry who does/doesn't like it! I wonder how a longbow would respond to use of thumbring. HHHMMMMM. Oh well. YIS, Abner de Plunkett. West Kingdom archer/crossbowman

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 4, 2008
          Very true. I've read that, when one's draw and release is *perfect*
          with a thumb ring, it shouldn't matter what side of the bow you shoot
          from. I, however, am far from that level of expertise... :)

          I did, actually, start using the thumb ring while loading the bow on
          the left side. It just felt weird. And the arrow kept wanting to lean
          left, off the bow. When I load on the right side, my index knuckle of
          my draw hand (right hand) kinda pushes the arrow against my bow,
          keeping it on there. Works out nicely.

          --Rhys.

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "George Bottorf"
          <PLUNKETTARCHER@...> wrote:

          > Greetings. Not to worry about brass thumb rings. Seems the Romans
          used bronze rings. Have seen pictures, pretty nice. Some folk also
          shoot thumbring put arrow on left side of bow. He is top Mongolian
          archer. Works for him. Trick seems to just do it, not worry who
          does/doesn't like it! I wonder how a longbow would respond to use of
          thumbring. HHHMMMMM. Oh well. YIS, Abner de Plunkett. West Kingdom
          archer/crossbowman

          Sculpty? - Followup

> [...]
          > > > make a thumb ring from a billiard ball *boggle*
          > > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thumb_ring
          > > >
          > > > Thank you!

          > pricy. A lot of work to make, tho. I went looking for info and found a
          > bunch of it! I found the best info on Korean archery. Let me show you.
          > follow all pages. A lot of info there. All 3 sites good.
          > Just a bit of cut and trim. Not real fancy, but mine should work as
          > soon as I finish sanding it a bit. BTW, the pvc ring is the female
          > design. The Sugakji is the male version. I will try both and see which
          > works for me. There, that should hold you for a spell. You might
          > also want to search just for Thumb Rings. Can't hurt. More info. I
          > plan to use a low pondage bow to learn the use of the ring! No sense
          > in hurting yourself at the start. I hope this will be of some small
          > use for you. YIS, Abner de Plunkett. West Kingdom archer and

        • Talmon Parker
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 4, 2008
            If You want a clean supply of aluminum, you might want to go to your local welding supply. there you can purchase a small roll of aluminum
            welding wire. no oil or flux. just keep cutting off pieces ,till you get enough to cast with.You can get a harder grade of material also.
            You can use the rest of the roll to make chain link garb with. Looks bright and shinny, and wont get your clothes all rusty.
            A large stainless serving spoon taped or wired to a small stick or board will do as a suitable ladle. I you want a side pouring lip. Just bend the spoon with pliers to make a spout.
            Lots of luck Talmon

            DER BARON

            To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
            From: eulenhorst@...
            Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 23:20:54 -0700

            Actually, you wouldn't want an open fire as a heat source for

            aluminum. It is far too reactive and will result in too many

            inclusions and slag when exposed to fire. Electric furnaces are used

            for melting aluminum. This is why it wasn't used commercially prior

            to the early 20th century.

            Carolus

            At 03:10 PM 6/3/2008, you wrote:

            >I suspect if you were wanting to go the clay-route, you would

            >probably need some porcelain china grade clay, and firing temps that

            >are somewhat beyond backyard firing capabilities. Much easier would

            >be bronze casting, which can be done pretty easily. Aluminum might

            >work as well, in which case you could do it with a carved piece of

            >wax, your sculpey for a mold, a ceramic coffee cup for a crucible,

            >crushed pop cans for an aluminum source, and a campfire as a heat

            >source. I'm not exactly sure what you would use for a ladle to

            >scoop out the foam from the top of the molten aluminum before

            >pouring, but you could probably figure out something.

            >Obviously, this is not a safe activity, and you should do it on your

            >own time and after doing research on safety precations, etc...

            >Logan

          • Talmon Parker

              From: eulenhorst@...
              Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 23:20:54 -0700

              At 03:10 PM 6/3/2008, you wrote:

              >I suspect if you were wanting to go the clay-route, you would

              >probably need some porcelain china grade clay, and firing temps that

              >are somewhat beyond backyard firing capabilities. Much easier would

              >be bronze casting, which can be done pretty easily. Aluminum might

              >work as well, in which case you could do it with a carved piece of

              >wax, your sculpey for a mold, a ceramic coffee cup for a crucible,

              >crushed pop cans for an aluminum source, and a campfire as a heat

              >source. I'm not exactly sure what you would use for a ladle to

              >scoop out the foam from the top of the molten aluminum before

              >pouring, but you could probably figure out something.

              >Obviously, this is not a safe activity, and you should do it on your

              >own time and after doing research on safety precations, etc...

              >Logan

            • Joe Klovance
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 4, 2008
                Since we are considering a non-period material, aluminium, why not try something completely different; aluminium impregnated epoxy putty. It is quite a tough material that can be formed into a rough shape around a mandrel then finished using files and sandpaper. It should be tough enough and not involve fire.

                Joe Klovance
              • Metin Ates
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 5, 2008
                  Try "Delrin" (a kind of thermoplastic from DuPond and harder then metal).
                  This is the best materials to make thumbring. Our thumbring-maker Ekrem
                  chooses this material.
                  Also you should try Plexyglass. These are better from any metal even
                  aluminium.

                  Metina