Re: Guinness record?

  • arturdubh
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 2, 2008
      From the SPTA rules:

      EQUIPMENT GUIDE
      There are four classes of bow, outlined below.
      Bows in any class can be of any draw weight.
      No sight marks, stabilisers, draw checks,
      release aids etc. allowed in any class. All
      decisions regarding equipment are made by
      the event organiser.

      English Longbow
      Wooden bows only, 'self' or laminated.
      Nocks: `self'/horn/hardwood . No recurve. `D'
      section , depth no less than 5/8 of width

      American Longbow (AFB):
      Min. length 60in. Fibreglass laminations
      allowed. Reflex & reflex/deflex bows allowable
      but string must only touch nocks when braced.
      Includes straight limbed fibreglass bows.
      Shelves/rests allowed.

      Hunting style Recurve
      Self or composite bows, with timber risers
      only, shelf/arrow rests allowable; one piece or
      take down, composite bows.
      Includes beginners recurved fibreglass bows

      Primitive (classic) Bows
      `SImple'*:Self bows of natural materials, shot
      around the handle, backings of natural
      materials (e.g. sinew/rawhide/snakeskin/linen).
      Reflex or setback allowable, but string must
      touch bow only at nocks when braced.
      `Classic'* Includes composite bows
      (*Class subdivisions at organisers discretion)
      No shelves/rests allowed in any subdivision

      Arrows
      In ALL cases timber shafts and real feather
      fletchings ONLY, plastic/self nocked.
      Permissible arrowheads at event organiser's
      discretion.

      Loose
      All styles of finger/thumb releases acceptable.
      including thumbrings for suitable `eastern' style
      bows.

      *JUNIORS: bow lengths proportionately
      reduced

      This should help to ease the confusion as to exactly what is -- and
      isn't -- allowed (as long the bow has a wooden riser, even "modern"
      recurves are allowed; they're considered "composite" Hunting style
      Recurve bows).

      --Artúr (No, I'm not a member of the SPTA -- but I have been thinking
      about it for a while.)

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "jameswolfden" <jameswolfden@...>
      wrote:

      > I agree it would be interesting to see but just a clarification. We
      > would need to set up a new category for crossbow, this speed record
      > is for handbow.
      >
      > And the very best RR score ever done is 165 which represents a
      > minimum of 15 arrows all hitting gold in the timed end (and it has
      > been confirmed on this group that they were all shot one at a
      time).
      > So yes, the potential is definitely there.
      >
      > By the way, I did get a response back from the organization but
      they
      > didn't expand much on the bow or arrow rules other than what was in
      > rules Jon posted. Nothing about whether you can't have modern
      > recurves or plastic nocks or anything like that.
      >
      > James
    • John edgerton
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 2, 2008
        Just keep in mind that the SPTA rules are the SPTA rules and not
        necessarily the Guinness rules. Anyone that would like to run a
        record competition should contact Guinness well in advance of the
        shooting to make arrangements with them.