Re: Guinness record?

  • arturdubh
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 2, 2008
      According to Webster's (Universal College Dictionary), the (human)
      face is "the front part of the head, from the forehead to the chin".
      Since most peoples' ears are located on the sides of their heads, my
      understanding is that the ears can not be considered as being part of
      the face.

      Maybe the folks at Guinness happen to use a different definition
      of "face", though...

      --Artúr

      > We would have to ask Guinness for clarification
      > but I was always under the impression that the
      > ear was a part of the face. As the purpose of
      > the rule appears to prevent short draws, this should not be a
      problem.
      > Carolus
      >
      > At 09:17 PM 6/1/2008, you wrote:
      >
      > >I know that my opinion is not always as highly regarded as others',
      > >yet I feel a need to (again) chirp in. I have to agree with Egil on
      > >his assesment of the rules; I happen to not draw to my face -- but
      > >my ear. According to the SPTA/Guiness rules, I would have to change
      > >my anchor point, thereby drawing short, just to be within those
      > >rules. How many others would need to change their anchor point,
      just
      > >so their fingers will touch their face?
      > >
      > >--Artúr

    • arturdubh
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 2, 2008
        From the SPTA rules:

        EQUIPMENT GUIDE
        There are four classes of bow, outlined below.
        Bows in any class can be of any draw weight.
        No sight marks, stabilisers, draw checks,
        release aids etc. allowed in any class. All
        decisions regarding equipment are made by
        the event organiser.

        English Longbow
        Wooden bows only, 'self' or laminated.
        Nocks: `self'/horn/hardwood . No recurve. `D'
        section , depth no less than 5/8 of width

        American Longbow (AFB):
        Min. length 60in. Fibreglass laminations
        allowed. Reflex & reflex/deflex bows allowable
        but string must only touch nocks when braced.
        Includes straight limbed fibreglass bows.
        Shelves/rests allowed.

        Hunting style Recurve
        Self or composite bows, with timber risers
        only, shelf/arrow rests allowable; one piece or
        take down, composite bows.
        Includes beginners recurved fibreglass bows

        Primitive (classic) Bows
        `SImple'*:Self bows of natural materials, shot
        around the handle, backings of natural
        materials (e.g. sinew/rawhide/snakeskin/linen).
        Reflex or setback allowable, but string must
        touch bow only at nocks when braced.
        `Classic'* Includes composite bows
        (*Class subdivisions at organisers discretion)
        No shelves/rests allowed in any subdivision

        Arrows
        In ALL cases timber shafts and real feather
        fletchings ONLY, plastic/self nocked.
        Permissible arrowheads at event organiser's
        discretion.

        Loose
        All styles of finger/thumb releases acceptable.
        including thumbrings for suitable `eastern' style
        bows.

        *JUNIORS: bow lengths proportionately
        reduced

        This should help to ease the confusion as to exactly what is -- and
        isn't -- allowed (as long the bow has a wooden riser, even "modern"
        recurves are allowed; they're considered "composite" Hunting style
        Recurve bows).

        --Artúr (No, I'm not a member of the SPTA -- but I have been thinking
        about it for a while.)

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "jameswolfden" <jameswolfden@...>
        wrote:

        > I agree it would be interesting to see but just a clarification. We
        > would need to set up a new category for crossbow, this speed record
        > is for handbow.
        >
        > And the very best RR score ever done is 165 which represents a
        > minimum of 15 arrows all hitting gold in the timed end (and it has
        > been confirmed on this group that they were all shot one at a
        time).
        > So yes, the potential is definitely there.
        >
        > By the way, I did get a response back from the organization but
        they
        > didn't expand much on the bow or arrow rules other than what was in
        > rules Jon posted. Nothing about whether you can't have modern
        > recurves or plastic nocks or anything like that.
        >
        > James
      • John edgerton
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 2, 2008
          Just keep in mind that the SPTA rules are the SPTA rules and not
          necessarily the Guinness rules. Anyone that would like to run a
          record competition should contact Guinness well in advance of the
          shooting to make arrangements with them.