Re: Guinness record?

  • John and Carol Atkins
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 2, 2008
      I personally don't see 21 arrows in one minute as an unsurmountable
      task for most "good" SCA archers. But a little math. It is reported
      here that the best Royal Round scores are in the 150 catagory. If we
      assume a perfect score untimed the maximum achievable is 90. That
      leaves a score of 60 needed in the timed round. Again, if we assume
      a perfect 5 for each shaft fired we are talking a total of 12 shatfs,
      in 30 seconds. Times two is 24 in one minute. I have archers in my
      area that can get off 9 - 10 shafts in 30 seconds. I personally am
      currently averaging about 8 - 9 in 30 seconds (but working to improve
      both accuracy and number). I think this is an intersting challenge
      that I would put to the test. SCA archers are AWSOME! Why not enter
      this competition and get some international exposure for what we do?
      I see nothing in the rules that would prevent us from smashing this
      record. As much as I believe (at the complete and total risk of the
      flames on this list) tha crossbows are the devils instrument the
      Atlantia very best archers, by RR scores are currently ALL
      crossbowmen. To watch them shoot is pure joy and harmony and
      efficiency. Imagine an SCA crossbowman smashing this record. Woud
      that put the SCA on the map? I think a major YES! (Not that we need
      to be on the map mind you.)

      cog

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Egil Haraldsson"
      <eagleclaws_skyrider@...> wrote:

      > Maybe you missed the discussion on this list and at Gulf Wars of
      > those who who say they can load 2 or 3 arrows at the start and
      shoot
      > 2 at a time after that. Of course with the disclaimer that " Our
      > Kingdom allows it". I have personally seen 2 arrows nocked and half
      > draws of heavy bows during the speed shoot at 20 yards and most
      > Kingdoms allow the arrow nocked and drawn during RR and IKAC
      shoots.
      > So needless to say, 21 arrows, drawn one at a time, bow relaxed at
      > the beginning and all arrows on target is an accomplishment and not
      > one I would think beaten,"easily". Beaten, well yes scores are by
      > nature made to be broken.
      >

      > Just an observation,
      > Egil
      >
      > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Eadric Anstapa <eadric@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Really, why do you think that?
      > >
      > > Around these parts most people are shooting bows heavier than
      30#,
      > > know nobody that shoots two arrows at once, and starting with an
      > undrawn
      > > bow might possibly nock a single shot off the number arrows our
      > shooters
      > > normally get off in a speed round.
      > >
      > > -EA
      > >
      > > Egil Haraldsson wrote:
      > > > I think rule Number 3,7 and 8 would eliminate most speed
      shooters.
      > > > Egil
      > > >
      > > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John edgerton <sirjon1@>

      > > > this

      > at

      > new
      > > >>
      > > > Speed

      Edwinstowe.

      > from
      > > >>
      > > > the

      > or
      > > >>
      > > > or "Dacron".

      > Four-
      > > >>
      > > > normal

      > > > Special

      > of
      > > >>
      > > > the

      > touch
      > > >>
      > > > the

      > into
      > > >>
      > > > the

      > the

      > signal.
      > butt.
      > > >>
      > > > It

      > > > shall

      > inches
      > > >>
      > > > will

      > line
      > > >>
      > > > score

      > if
      > > >>
      > > > face

    • jameswolfden
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 2, 2008
        I agree it would be interesting to see but just a clarification. We
        would need to set up a new category for crossbow, this speed record
        is for handbow.

        And the very best RR score ever done is 165 which represents a
        minimum of 15 arrows all hitting gold in the timed end (and it has
        been confirmed on this group that they were all shot one at a time).
        So yes, the potential is definitely there.

        By the way, I did get a response back from the organization but they
        didn't expand much on the bow or arrow rules other than what was in
        rules Jon posted. Nothing about whether you can't have modern
        recurves or plastic nocks or anything like that.

        James

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "John and Carol Atkins"
        <cogworks@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > shoots.
        > > So needless to say, 21 arrows, drawn one at a time, bow relaxed
        at
        > > the beginning and all arrows on target is an accomplishment and
        not
        > > one I would think beaten,"easily". Beaten, well yes scores are
        by
        > > nature made to be broken.
        > >

        > > Just an observation,
        > > Egil
        > >
        > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Eadric Anstapa <eadric@>
        wrote:

        > > > Really, why do you think that?
        > > >
        > > > Around these parts most people are shooting bows heavier than
        > 30#,
        > > > know nobody that shoots two arrows at once, and starting with
        an
        > > undrawn
        > > > bow might possibly nock a single shot off the number arrows

      • arturdubh
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 2, 2008
          According to Webster's (Universal College Dictionary), the (human)
          face is "the front part of the head, from the forehead to the chin".
          Since most peoples' ears are located on the sides of their heads, my
          understanding is that the ears can not be considered as being part of
          the face.

          Maybe the folks at Guinness happen to use a different definition
          of "face", though...

          --Artúr

          > We would have to ask Guinness for clarification
          > but I was always under the impression that the
          > ear was a part of the face. As the purpose of
          > the rule appears to prevent short draws, this should not be a
          problem.
          > Carolus
          >
          > At 09:17 PM 6/1/2008, you wrote:
          >
          > >I know that my opinion is not always as highly regarded as others',
          > >yet I feel a need to (again) chirp in. I have to agree with Egil on
          > >his assesment of the rules; I happen to not draw to my face -- but
          > >my ear. According to the SPTA/Guiness rules, I would have to change
          > >my anchor point, thereby drawing short, just to be within those
          > >rules. How many others would need to change their anchor point,
          just
          > >so their fingers will touch their face?
          > >
          > >--Artúr

        • arturdubh
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 2, 2008
            From the SPTA rules:

            EQUIPMENT GUIDE
            There are four classes of bow, outlined below.
            Bows in any class can be of any draw weight.
            No sight marks, stabilisers, draw checks,
            release aids etc. allowed in any class. All
            decisions regarding equipment are made by
            the event organiser.

            English Longbow
            Wooden bows only, 'self' or laminated.
            Nocks: `self'/horn/hardwood . No recurve. `D'
            section , depth no less than 5/8 of width

            American Longbow (AFB):
            Min. length 60in. Fibreglass laminations
            allowed. Reflex & reflex/deflex bows allowable
            but string must only touch nocks when braced.
            Includes straight limbed fibreglass bows.
            Shelves/rests allowed.

            Hunting style Recurve
            Self or composite bows, with timber risers
            only, shelf/arrow rests allowable; one piece or
            take down, composite bows.
            Includes beginners recurved fibreglass bows

            Primitive (classic) Bows
            `SImple'*:Self bows of natural materials, shot
            around the handle, backings of natural
            materials (e.g. sinew/rawhide/snakeskin/linen).
            Reflex or setback allowable, but string must
            touch bow only at nocks when braced.
            `Classic'* Includes composite bows
            (*Class subdivisions at organisers discretion)
            No shelves/rests allowed in any subdivision

            Arrows
            In ALL cases timber shafts and real feather
            fletchings ONLY, plastic/self nocked.
            Permissible arrowheads at event organiser's
            discretion.

            Loose
            All styles of finger/thumb releases acceptable.
            including thumbrings for suitable `eastern' style
            bows.

            *JUNIORS: bow lengths proportionately
            reduced

            This should help to ease the confusion as to exactly what is -- and
            isn't -- allowed (as long the bow has a wooden riser, even "modern"
            recurves are allowed; they're considered "composite" Hunting style
            Recurve bows).

            --Artúr (No, I'm not a member of the SPTA -- but I have been thinking
            about it for a while.)

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "jameswolfden" <jameswolfden@...>
            wrote:

            > I agree it would be interesting to see but just a clarification. We
            > would need to set up a new category for crossbow, this speed record
            > is for handbow.
            >
            > And the very best RR score ever done is 165 which represents a
            > minimum of 15 arrows all hitting gold in the timed end (and it has
            > been confirmed on this group that they were all shot one at a
            time).
            > So yes, the potential is definitely there.
            >
            > By the way, I did get a response back from the organization but
            they
            > didn't expand much on the bow or arrow rules other than what was in
            > rules Jon posted. Nothing about whether you can't have modern
            > recurves or plastic nocks or anything like that.
            >
            > James
          • John edgerton
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 2, 2008
              Just keep in mind that the SPTA rules are the SPTA rules and not
              necessarily the Guinness rules. Anyone that would like to run a
              record competition should contact Guinness well in advance of the
              shooting to make arrangements with them.