Re: Guinness record?

  • arturdubh
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 1, 2008
      I know that my opinion is not always as highly regarded as others',
      yet I feel a need to (again) chirp in. I have to agree with Egil on
      his assesment of the rules; I happen to not draw to my face -- but to
      my ear. According to the SPTA/Guiness rules, I would have to change
      my anchor point, thereby drawing short, just to be within those
      rules. How many others would need to change their anchor point, just
      so their fingers will touch their face?

      --Artúr

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Egil Haraldsson"
      <eagleclaws_skyrider@...> wrote:

      > I think rule Number 3,7 and 8 would eliminate most speed shooters.
      > Egil
      >
      > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John edgerton <sirjon1@> wrote:
      > >
      > > It seems to me that we have archers in the SCA that could beat
      > this
      > > record. Anyone willing to try? It might be something to try at
      > > Pennsic.
      > >
      > > Jon
      > > ****************************
      > >
      > > GUINNESS SPEED SHOOTING RECORD
      > > In August 1999, SPTA member Dave Powers, pictured below, set a
      new
    • Eadric Anstapa
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 1, 2008
        I guess it all depends on what you call the "face".

        My three points of contact with the string are:

        1. The string along side my nose.
        2. The string at the corner of my mouth
        3. My fingers on the string

        My fingers actually align right along the bottom of my jaw. Is that to
        the face? I always sorta considered it part if my face but I guess
        depending on how narrowly one wanted to define "face" it might not be.

        -EA

        arturdubh wrote:
        > I know that my opinion is not always as highly regarded as others',
        > yet I feel a need to (again) chirp in. I have to agree with Egil on
        > his assesment of the rules; I happen to not draw to my face -- but to
        > my ear. According to the SPTA/Guiness rules, I would have to change
        > my anchor point, thereby drawing short, just to be within those
        > rules. How many others would need to change their anchor point, just
        > so their fingers will touch their face?
        >
        > --Artúr
        >

        > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Egil Haraldsson"
        > <eagleclaws_skyrider@...> wrote:
        >
        >> I think rule Number 3,7 and 8 would eliminate most speed shooters.
        >> Egil
        >>
        >> --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John edgerton <sirjon1@> wrote:
        >>
        >>> It seems to me that we have archers in the SCA that could beat
        >>>
        >> this
        >>
        >>> record. Anyone willing to try? It might be something to try at
        >>> Pennsic.
        >>>
        >>> Jon
        >>> ****************************
        >>>
        >>> GUINNESS SPEED SHOOTING RECORD
        >>> In August 1999, SPTA member Dave Powers, pictured below, set a
        >>>
        > new

      • jameswolfden
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 1, 2008
          From Wikipedia
          The face is the front part of the head and includes the hair,
          forehead, eyebrow, eyes, nose, ears, cheeks, mouth, lips, philtrum,
          teeth, skin, and chin.

          I realize that wikipedia is not the best source but it pretty much
          matches up with what I always understood a face was. Drawing to your
          ear is drawing to your face.

          I think one also needs to look at the intent of the rule. It is there
          to prevent shortdrawing to speed things up.

          James

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Eadric Anstapa <eadric@...> wrote:

          > I guess it all depends on what you call the "face".
          >
          > My three points of contact with the string are:
          >
          > 1. The string along side my nose.
          > 2. The string at the corner of my mouth
          > 3. My fingers on the string
          >
          > My fingers actually align right along the bottom of my jaw. Is
          that to
          > the face? I always sorta considered it part if my face but I
          guess
          > depending on how narrowly one wanted to define "face" it might not
          be.

          > -EA
          >
          > arturdubh wrote:
          > > I know that my opinion is not always as highly regarded as
          others',
          > > yet I feel a need to (again) chirp in. I have to agree with Egil
          on
          > > his assesment of the rules; I happen to not draw to my face --
          but to
          > > my ear. According to the SPTA/Guiness rules, I would have to
          change
          > > my anchor point, thereby drawing short, just to be within those
          > > rules. How many others would need to change their anchor point,
          just
          > > so their fingers will touch their face?
          > >
          > > --Artúr
          > >

          > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Egil Haraldsson"
          > > <eagleclaws_skyrider@> wrote:
          > >
          > >> I think rule Number 3,7 and 8 would eliminate most speed
          shooters.
          > >> Egil
          > >>
          > >> --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John edgerton <sirjon1@>

          > >> this

          > > new

        • Carolus
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 2, 2008
            We would have to ask Guinness for clarification
            but I was always under the impression that the
            ear was a part of the face. As the purpose of
            the rule appears to prevent short draws, this should not be a problem.
            Carolus

            At 09:17 PM 6/1/2008, you wrote:

            >I know that my opinion is not always as highly regarded as others',
            >yet I feel a need to (again) chirp in. I have to agree with Egil on
            >his assesment of the rules; I happen to not draw to my face -- but to
            >my ear. According to the SPTA/Guiness rules, I would have to change
            >my anchor point, thereby drawing short, just to be within those
            >rules. How many others would need to change their anchor point, just
            >so their fingers will touch their face?
            >
            >--Artúr
          • John and Carol Atkins
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 2, 2008
              I personally don't see 21 arrows in one minute as an unsurmountable
              task for most "good" SCA archers. But a little math. It is reported
              here that the best Royal Round scores are in the 150 catagory. If we
              assume a perfect score untimed the maximum achievable is 90. That
              leaves a score of 60 needed in the timed round. Again, if we assume
              a perfect 5 for each shaft fired we are talking a total of 12 shatfs,
              in 30 seconds. Times two is 24 in one minute. I have archers in my
              area that can get off 9 - 10 shafts in 30 seconds. I personally am
              currently averaging about 8 - 9 in 30 seconds (but working to improve
              both accuracy and number). I think this is an intersting challenge
              that I would put to the test. SCA archers are AWSOME! Why not enter
              this competition and get some international exposure for what we do?
              I see nothing in the rules that would prevent us from smashing this
              record. As much as I believe (at the complete and total risk of the
              flames on this list) tha crossbows are the devils instrument the
              Atlantia very best archers, by RR scores are currently ALL
              crossbowmen. To watch them shoot is pure joy and harmony and
              efficiency. Imagine an SCA crossbowman smashing this record. Woud
              that put the SCA on the map? I think a major YES! (Not that we need
              to be on the map mind you.)

              cog

              <eagleclaws_skyrider@...> wrote:

              > Maybe you missed the discussion on this list and at Gulf Wars of
              > those who who say they can load 2 or 3 arrows at the start and
              shoot
              > 2 at a time after that. Of course with the disclaimer that " Our
              > Kingdom allows it". I have personally seen 2 arrows nocked and half
              > draws of heavy bows during the speed shoot at 20 yards and most
              > Kingdoms allow the arrow nocked and drawn during RR and IKAC
              shoots.
              > So needless to say, 21 arrows, drawn one at a time, bow relaxed at
              > the beginning and all arrows on target is an accomplishment and not
              > one I would think beaten,"easily". Beaten, well yes scores are by
              > nature made to be broken.
              >

              > Just an observation,
              > Egil
              >
              > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Eadric Anstapa <eadric@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Really, why do you think that?
              > >
              > > Around these parts most people are shooting bows heavier than
              30#,
              > > know nobody that shoots two arrows at once, and starting with an
              > undrawn
              > > bow might possibly nock a single shot off the number arrows our
              > shooters
              > > normally get off in a speed round.
              > >
              > > -EA
              > >
              > > Egil Haraldsson wrote:
              > > > I think rule Number 3,7 and 8 would eliminate most speed
              shooters.
              > > > Egil
              > > >
              > > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John edgerton <sirjon1@>

              > > > this

              > at

              > new
              > > >>
              > > > Speed

              Edwinstowe.

              > from
              > > >>
              > > > the

              > or
              > > >>
              > > > or "Dacron".

              > Four-
              > > >>
              > > > normal

              > > > Special

              > of
              > > >>
              > > > the

              > touch
              > > >>
              > > > the

              > into
              > > >>
              > > > the

              > the

              > signal.
              > butt.
              > > >>
              > > > It

              > > > shall

              > inches
              > > >>
              > > > will

              > line
              > > >>
              > > > score

              > if
              > > >>
              > > > face

            • jameswolfden
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 2, 2008
                I agree it would be interesting to see but just a clarification. We
                would need to set up a new category for crossbow, this speed record
                is for handbow.

                And the very best RR score ever done is 165 which represents a
                minimum of 15 arrows all hitting gold in the timed end (and it has
                been confirmed on this group that they were all shot one at a time).
                So yes, the potential is definitely there.

                By the way, I did get a response back from the organization but they
                didn't expand much on the bow or arrow rules other than what was in
                rules Jon posted. Nothing about whether you can't have modern
                recurves or plastic nocks or anything like that.

                James

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "John and Carol Atkins"

                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 2, 2008
                  According to Webster's (Universal College Dictionary), the (human)
                  face is "the front part of the head, from the forehead to the chin".
                  Since most peoples' ears are located on the sides of their heads, my
                  understanding is that the ears can not be considered as being part of
                  the face.

                  Maybe the folks at Guinness happen to use a different definition
                  of "face", though...

                  --Artúr

                  > We would have to ask Guinness for clarification
                  > but I was always under the impression that the
                  > ear was a part of the face. As the purpose of
                  > the rule appears to prevent short draws, this should not be a
                  problem.
                  > Carolus
                  >
                  > At 09:17 PM 6/1/2008, you wrote:
                  >
                  > >I know that my opinion is not always as highly regarded as others',
                  > >yet I feel a need to (again) chirp in. I have to agree with Egil on
                  > >his assesment of the rules; I happen to not draw to my face -- but
                  > >my ear. According to the SPTA/Guiness rules, I would have to change
                  > >my anchor point, thereby drawing short, just to be within those
                  > >rules. How many others would need to change their anchor point,
                  just
                  > >so their fingers will touch their face?
                  > >
                  > >--Artúr

                • arturdubh
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 2, 2008
                    From the SPTA rules:

                    EQUIPMENT GUIDE
                    There are four classes of bow, outlined below.
                    Bows in any class can be of any draw weight.
                    No sight marks, stabilisers, draw checks,
                    release aids etc. allowed in any class. All
                    decisions regarding equipment are made by
                    the event organiser.

                    English Longbow
                    Wooden bows only, 'self' or laminated.
                    Nocks: `self'/horn/hardwood . No recurve. `D'
                    section , depth no less than 5/8 of width

                    American Longbow (AFB):
                    Min. length 60in. Fibreglass laminations
                    allowed. Reflex & reflex/deflex bows allowable
                    but string must only touch nocks when braced.
                    Includes straight limbed fibreglass bows.
                    Shelves/rests allowed.

                    Hunting style Recurve
                    Self or composite bows, with timber risers
                    only, shelf/arrow rests allowable; one piece or
                    take down, composite bows.
                    Includes beginners recurved fibreglass bows

                    Primitive (classic) Bows
                    `SImple'*:Self bows of natural materials, shot
                    around the handle, backings of natural
                    materials (e.g. sinew/rawhide/snakeskin/linen).
                    Reflex or setback allowable, but string must
                    touch bow only at nocks when braced.
                    `Classic'* Includes composite bows
                    (*Class subdivisions at organisers discretion)
                    No shelves/rests allowed in any subdivision

                    Arrows
                    In ALL cases timber shafts and real feather
                    fletchings ONLY, plastic/self nocked.
                    Permissible arrowheads at event organiser's
                    discretion.

                    Loose
                    All styles of finger/thumb releases acceptable.
                    including thumbrings for suitable `eastern' style
                    bows.

                    *JUNIORS: bow lengths proportionately
                    reduced

                    This should help to ease the confusion as to exactly what is -- and
                    isn't -- allowed (as long the bow has a wooden riser, even "modern"
                    recurves are allowed; they're considered "composite" Hunting style
                    Recurve bows).

                    --Artúr (No, I'm not a member of the SPTA -- but I have been thinking
                    about it for a while.)

                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "jameswolfden" <jameswolfden@...>
                    wrote:

                    > I agree it would be interesting to see but just a clarification. We
                    > would need to set up a new category for crossbow, this speed record
                    > is for handbow.
                    >
                    > And the very best RR score ever done is 165 which represents a
                    > minimum of 15 arrows all hitting gold in the timed end (and it has
                    > been confirmed on this group that they were all shot one at a
                    time).
                    > So yes, the potential is definitely there.
                    >
                    > By the way, I did get a response back from the organization but
                    they
                    > didn't expand much on the bow or arrow rules other than what was in
                    > rules Jon posted. Nothing about whether you can't have modern
                    > recurves or plastic nocks or anything like that.
                    >
                    > James
                  • John edgerton
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 2, 2008
                      Just keep in mind that the SPTA rules are the SPTA rules and not
                      necessarily the Guinness rules. Anyone that would like to run a
                      record competition should contact Guinness well in advance of the
                      shooting to make arrangements with them.