Re: I need help from Archery

  • Ben Grant
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2008
      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Christensen" <rainmagix@...>
      wrote:

      > Even if you cannot answer all of them just answer what you can.
      >

      > General Question: Does anyone know when Combat Archery with Bows
      started? beats me!

      > Facts: In a year what do you think your think you spend on archery?
      > Up to 100$
      > 100$-200$ <==== arrow supplies mostly
      > 200$-400$
      > 400$+
      >
      > Participation
      > Target Archery <=======
      > Combat Archery
      > All Archery
      >
      > Personal Questions:
      >
      > What is your favorite archery style or contest style?
      Period hand-bow. The shoot I most enjoyed was a challenge
      shoot in which each archer had a bag of tokens representing various
      goods and possessions. The object was to challenge other archers to
      feats using the various targets already present(e.g. Dragon's nose 30
      yards best 2 of 3 wins), wagering the tokens. These tokens were later
      used in the bidding at a prize auction. I managed to redistribute my
      tokens amongst the younger archers through challenges I devised to
      improve their confidence and encourage their continued enthusiasm.

      > What first attracted you to archery?
      I always preferred the Robin Hood movies to the King Arthur
      movies as a child. My brother and I would build crude bows from
      saplings and run around like little savages on my uncle's dairy farm.
      When I first started in the SCA, no one in my area was involved in
      target archery but I always wanted to try it. When I moved to
      Atlantia I had the great fortune of finding myself in a Barony where
      Archery was the dominant activity, thank you Stierbach!

      > What did you learn from archery that you did not expect?
      The A&S aspects of it. As thrilling as it is to strike gold,
      to do it with arrows you crafted, launched from a bow that you carved
      out and lovingly shaped is even more so. There is magic in the moment
      of that "perfect shot" flying forth and biting-in precisely where you
      knew it would.

      > Please name your Kingdom and list your three favorite archery events
      Atlantia. On Target is challenging and fun. Specifically, it
      more than any other shoot I've attended will teach you not to get
      attached to your ammunition. Kingdom Archery is not to be missed, not
      only for the shooting but for the knowledge you can glean from
      literally the best archers the Kingdom has to offer. As a third, I
      can not think of a specific one, except to say that If you ever find
      yourself in Stierbach, down Sudentorre way do not miss the chance to
      shoot in one of Mors' Carnivals of Death and Prizes. He is an Evil
      Wizard when it comes to novelty shoots.

      > Ok you get one paragraph, what would you say to some one who is
      looking at getting into archery to get them excited.
      I am going with James on this one. "Here's a loaner bow, and some
      loaner arrows." That's all I'll need. Once they shoot, they're
      hooked. Heaven help them once they actually start hitting the target!
      Game over, you're in it for life then.
    • Aine de Lacy
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2008
        wrote:

        General Question: Does anyone know when Combat Archery with Bows
        started?

        Combat archery first began in the SCA in the Kingdom of the West at
        the Island War in 1967. The arrows were eighteen inch long green
        stained bamboo garden stakes. There was no fletching and the blunt
        heads were made of one inch thick foam rubber secured with white
        first-aid tape and were about one to one and a half inches wide.
        There was no maximum weight limit for the bows, because the short
        arrows kept the draw and power down. The archers were not required to
        wear any face protection. By 1970 the Saunders Bludgeon Tip was
        discovered in Atenvelt, it was brought back by Duke Henrik of Havn
        and then adopted by the West. The Saunders Bludgeon Tips were a
        commercially made three quarter inch wide blunt of soft plastic made
        for hunting rabbits, squirrels and other small game. This brought
        about the use of fencing masks, soccer cups and other protective
        gear. In the East Kingdom combat archery was developing using the
        blunt created by the Markland Military Militia. These Markland blunts
        had a two inch diameter head built up from foam around a one inch
        wood dowel. These were large enough so that they could not pass
        through the visor slot or bars of a helm and therefore screening was
        not needed. As the SCA grew, the Eastern and Western areas developed
        their own styles of blunts and their own conventions of combat. The
        first SCA wide rules for combat archery were published in 1978. Then
        in 1985 the rules were revised by the SCA Marshal, Earl Kevin
        Perigrynne. We now have, just as in heavy tourney and war combat, a
        comprehensive set of rules that provide for both safety and for
        conventions of light combat

        Facts: In a year what do you think your think you spend on archery?

        Up to 100$

        100$-200$ <===

        200$-400$

        400$+

        Participation

        Target Archery <===

        Combat Archery

        All Archery

        Personal Questions:

        What is your favorite archery style or contest style?

        I am pretty new to archery. I have gone to a few IKAC Contests just
        to observe. I will soon get my nerve up to join in... lol...

        What first attracted you to archery?

        When I was about 13 years old, I was at summer camp where they had
        archery and I had alot of fun. At that moment I was addicted!

        What did you learn from archery that you did not expect?

        How to make my own arrows and when they break, how to fix them. I
        have such a great teacher! I have so much more to learn... lol...

        Please name your Kingdom and list your three favorite archery events:

        West Kingdom, Principaly of Cynagua, Barony of Fettburg

        1. Barony of Darkwood Compatation, 2. Spring Coronet, and 3. archery
        practice on Sundays with my barony. Not necessarly in that
        order...lol...

        Ok you get one paragraph, what would you say to some one who is
        looking at getting into archery to get them excited.

        Your gonna love it. But be warned, it gets expensive but it's well
        worth it. Once you get into it, it seriously it becomes addictive...

        Hope this helps ya... :)

        Y.I.S.
        Aine de Lacy
      • ronan mackee
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
          Facts: In a year what do you think your think you spend on archery?

          Up to 100$

          100$-200$ <===

          200$-400$

          400$+
          What is your favorite archery style or contest style?
          box tourneys or wars

          What first attracted you to archery?
          the friendship between archers

          What did you learn from archery that you did not expect?
          patience, control and humility thanks to master Leonidas and Daniel of moncief

          Please name your Kingdom and list your three favorite archery events:

          Antir
          archery fest
          war of oasis
          gulf war