Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

I need help from Archery

Expand Messages
  • Dan Christensen
    Greetings Archers of the SCA My name is Tryggvy Landstaker from The Kingdom Of An Tir I m doing a weekly Podcast on all things SCA and on June
    Message 1 of 8 , May 30, 2008
    • 0 Attachment
      Greetings Archers of the SCA

      My name is Tryggvy Landstaker from The Kingdom Of An Tir

      I'm doing a weekly Podcast on all things SCA and on June http://lionsroad.org

      Our episode on June 11th will be about archery. I wanted to ask you all for a little bit a
      feedback on archery if you would be so kind.

      I must admit that archery is a field I need help with so I need all of you.

      Even if you cannot answer all of them just answer what you can.


      General Question: Does anyone know when Combat Archery with Bows started?

      Facts: In a year what do you think your think you spend on archery?
      Up to 100$
      100$-200$
      200$-400$
      400$+

      Participation
      Target Archery
      Combat Archery
      All Archery

      Personal Questions:

      What is your favorite archery style or contest style

      What first attracted you to archery?

      What did you learn from archery that you did not expect?

      Please name your Kingdom and list your three favorite archery events

      Ok you get one paragraph, what would you say to some one who is looking at getting into
      archery to get them excited.
    • Frederick Fenters
      _____ From: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Dan Christensen Sent: Friday, May 30, 2008 2:43 PM To:
      Message 2 of 8 , May 30, 2008
      • 0 Attachment
        _____

        From: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com] On
        Behalf Of Dan Christensen
        Sent: Friday, May 30, 2008 2:43 PM
        To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [SCA-Archery] I need help from Archery




        Greetings Archers of the SCA

        My name is Tryggvy Landstaker from The Kingdom Of An Tir

        I'm doing a weekly Podcast on all things SCA and on June http://lionsroad.
        <http://lionsroad.org> org

        Our episode on June 11th will be about archery. I wanted to ask you all for
        a little bit a
        feedback on archery if you would be so kind.

        I must admit that archery is a field I need help with so I need all of you.

        Even if you cannot answer all of them just answer what you can.

        General Question: Does anyone know when Combat Archery with Bows started?
        Around 3000 BC - in the SCA, Middle Kingdom approximately 10 years ago
        Facts: In a year what do you think your think you spend on archery?
        Up to 100$
        100$-200$
        200$-400$ when I can afford this much. I also make arrows for friends
        400$+

        Participation
        Target Archery
        Combat Archery
        All Archery

        Personal Questions:

        What is your favorite archery style or contest style I prefer novelty
        shoots. Something inventive on the part of the organizer.

        What first attracted you to archery? Easier to get equipment than for HW
        fighting and It's easier to tell the cute women from the men. (Yeah,
        blatantly MCP)

        What did you learn from archery that you did not expect? I had not
        realized how much PATIENCE would be involved.

        Please name your Kingdom and list your three favorite archery events I am
        from Pentamere (Michigan) in the Middle Kingdom and my favorite events for
        archery are Better War through Archery in Sternfeld, the Pennsic War, and
        the Siege of Talonvale

        Ok you get one paragraph, what would you say to some one who is looking at
        getting into
        archery to get them excited.

        This is one of only two activities in the SCA where you actually use real
        weapons, the other is thrown weapons. Watching the ranges allows one to
        appreciate the growing skill of others and oneself over time. If you have a
        good drawing hand, you can express your real opinion about your boss on the
        range . . . There's nothing quite as satisfying as putting holes in a
        picture or caricature of someone who has been really bothering you. You get
        to meet a lot of absolutely Wonderful friendly people who are interested in
        you and your gear as well as teaching you about theirs! It's been good for
        me for 19 years now.



        Forester Padraig MacRaighne





        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      • jameswolfden
        Sir Jon is probably the best one to answer the question about the history of combat archery in the SCA but my understanding is that combat archery was at the
        Message 3 of 8 , May 30, 2008
        • 0 Attachment
          Sir Jon is probably the best one to answer the question about the
          history of combat archery in the SCA but my understanding is that
          combat archery was at the first SCA War in AS 3.


          It varies from year to year, but it probably averages out to be
          between $200 to $400 I spend. This includes ranges fees, arrow
          making supplies, bow making supplies, and largesse.

          I am primarily a target archer but dabble at combat archery.

          I prefer target archery over combat archery. Random distances over
          fixed distances. Mark targets over concentric rings. Elimination
          Shoots over Grand Prix Shoots. Period over Modern.

          My intial attraction to archery was the Ballads of Robin Hood as a
          child.

          One of the things I learned was that I preferred the A&S of archery
          over actually shooting. There is just something about scraping a bow
          out of piece of wood and than seeing it launch an arrow downrange.

          I love the flight of the arrow from a traditional longbow.

          I am James Wolfden from the Barony Of Lions Gate in the Principality
          of Tir Righ in the Kingdom of An Tir where the King's Word is Still
          Law.

          My favourite archery related events would include the Clinton War,
          the Lions Gate Archery Defender, and our annual Days of A&S where I
          can teach people skills like making a period arrows.

          What would I say to someone who is interested in getting
          started. "Here's a loaner bow, here are some loaner arrows."

          Because once they shoot, they will be hooked. It may not become
          their full-time passion but they will be hooked.


          In Service,
          HL James Wolfden
        • Cecil Hudson
          To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com From: rainmagix@yahoo.com Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 18:43:20 +0000 Subject: [SCA-Archery] I need help from Archery Greetings
          Message 4 of 8 , May 31, 2008
          • 0 Attachment
            To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
            From: rainmagix@...
            Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 18:43:20 +0000
            Subject: [SCA-Archery] I need help from Archery






















            Greetings Archers of the SCA



            My name is Tryggvy Landstaker from The Kingdom Of An Tir



            I'm doing a weekly Podcast on all things SCA and on June http://lionsroad.org



            Our episode on June 11th will be about archery. I wanted to ask you all for a little bit a

            feedback on archery if you would be so kind.



            I must admit that archery is a field I need help with so I need all of you.



            Even if you cannot answer all of them just answer what you can.



            General Question: Does anyone know when Combat Archery with Bows started?



            Facts: In a year what do you think your think you spend on archery?

            Up to 100$

            100$-200$

            200$-400$ <===

            400$+



            Participation

            Target Archery <===

            Combat Archery

            All Archery



            Personal Questions:



            What is your favorite archery style or contest style The IKAC: open bow division with a recurve.



            What first attracted you to archery? Cub Scouts when I was 8 yrs old. I was the first in my troop to hit the target.



            What did you learn from archery that you did not expect? How to make my own equipment and the dynamics of arrow flight.


            Please name your Kingdom and list your three favorite archery events Ansteora. Catellan and Elfsea Spring Faire are the only two events I've participated in archery thus far.



            Ok you get one paragraph, what would you say to some one who is looking at getting into

            archery to get them excited. "You will love it. But be warned. Once you get into it seriously it becomes addictive and you will want to do more. There is nothing like the thrill of hitting your first bull's eye from the 40yd line."
























            _________________________________________________________________
            Change the world with e-mail. Join the i�m Initiative from Microsoft.
            http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Join/Default.aspx?source=EML_WL_ChangeWorld

            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          • cmetaldog00
            ... started? ... open bow division with a recurve. ... yrs old. I was the first in my troop to hit the target. ... make my own equipment and the dynamics of
            Message 5 of 8 , May 31, 2008
            • 0 Attachment
              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Cecil Hudson <metaldog00@...> wrote:

              > To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
              > From: rainmagix@...
              > Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 18:43:20 +0000
              > Subject: [SCA-Archery] I need help from Archery
              >
              >
              >
              >
              > General Question: Does anyone know when Combat Archery with Bows
              started?
              >
              >
              >
              > Facts: In a year what do you think your think you spend on archery?
              >
              > Up to 100$
              >
              > 100$-200$
              >
              > 200$-400$ <===
              >
              > 400$+
              >
              >
              >
              > Participation
              >
              > Target Archery <===
              >
              > Combat Archery
              >
              > All Archery
              >
              >
              >
              > Personal Questions:
              >
              >
              >
              > What is your favorite archery style or contest style The IKAC:
              open bow division with a recurve.
              >
              >
              >
              > What first attracted you to archery? Cub Scouts when I was 8
              yrs old. I was the first in my troop to hit the target.
              >
              >
              >
              > What did you learn from archery that you did not expect? How to
              make my own equipment and the dynamics of arrow flight.
              >
              >
              > Please name your Kingdom and list your three favorite archery events
              Ansteora. Catellan and Elfsea Spring Faire are the only two
              events I've participated in archery thus far.
              >
              >
              >
              > Ok you get one paragraph, what would you say to some one who is
              looking at getting into
              >
              > archery to get them excited. "You will love it. But be warned. Once
              you get into it seriously it becomes addictive and you will want to do
              more. There is nothing like the thrill of hitting your first bull's
              eye from the 40yd line."
              >
              >
              >
              > Cian Rhys Gravenor
              Forester of Northkeep in Ansteora.
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              > _________________________________________________________________
              > Change the world with e-mail. Join the i'm Initiative from Microsoft.
              >
              http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Join/Default.aspx?source=EML_WL_ChangeWorld
              >
              > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
              >
            • Ben Grant
              ... started? beats me! ... Period hand-bow. The shoot I most enjoyed was a challenge shoot in which each archer had a bag of tokens representing various
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 1, 2008
              • 0 Attachment
                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Christensen" <rainmagix@...>
                wrote:
                >
                > Even if you cannot answer all of them just answer what you can.
                >
                >
                > General Question: Does anyone know when Combat Archery with Bows
                started? beats me!
                >
                > Facts: In a year what do you think your think you spend on archery?
                > Up to 100$
                > 100$-200$ <==== arrow supplies mostly
                > 200$-400$
                > 400$+
                >
                > Participation
                > Target Archery <=======
                > Combat Archery
                > All Archery
                >
                > Personal Questions:
                >
                > What is your favorite archery style or contest style?
                Period hand-bow. The shoot I most enjoyed was a challenge
                shoot in which each archer had a bag of tokens representing various
                goods and possessions. The object was to challenge other archers to
                feats using the various targets already present(e.g. Dragon's nose 30
                yards best 2 of 3 wins), wagering the tokens. These tokens were later
                used in the bidding at a prize auction. I managed to redistribute my
                tokens amongst the younger archers through challenges I devised to
                improve their confidence and encourage their continued enthusiasm.

                > What first attracted you to archery?
                I always preferred the Robin Hood movies to the King Arthur
                movies as a child. My brother and I would build crude bows from
                saplings and run around like little savages on my uncle's dairy farm.
                When I first started in the SCA, no one in my area was involved in
                target archery but I always wanted to try it. When I moved to
                Atlantia I had the great fortune of finding myself in a Barony where
                Archery was the dominant activity, thank you Stierbach!

                > What did you learn from archery that you did not expect?
                The A&S aspects of it. As thrilling as it is to strike gold,
                to do it with arrows you crafted, launched from a bow that you carved
                out and lovingly shaped is even more so. There is magic in the moment
                of that "perfect shot" flying forth and biting-in precisely where you
                knew it would.

                > Please name your Kingdom and list your three favorite archery events
                Atlantia. On Target is challenging and fun. Specifically, it
                more than any other shoot I've attended will teach you not to get
                attached to your ammunition. Kingdom Archery is not to be missed, not
                only for the shooting but for the knowledge you can glean from
                literally the best archers the Kingdom has to offer. As a third, I
                can not think of a specific one, except to say that If you ever find
                yourself in Stierbach, down Sudentorre way do not miss the chance to
                shoot in one of Mors' Carnivals of Death and Prizes. He is an Evil
                Wizard when it comes to novelty shoots.

                > Ok you get one paragraph, what would you say to some one who is
                looking at getting into archery to get them excited.
                I am going with James on this one. "Here's a loaner bow, and some
                loaner arrows." That's all I'll need. Once they shoot, they're
                hooked. Heaven help them once they actually start hitting the target!
                Game over, you're in it for life then.
              • Aine de Lacy
                ... wrote: General Question: Does anyone know when Combat Archery with Bows started? Combat archery first began in the SCA in the Kingdom of the West at the
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 1, 2008
                • 0 Attachment
                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Christensen" <rainmagix@...>
                  wrote:

                  General Question: Does anyone know when Combat Archery with Bows
                  started?

                  Combat archery first began in the SCA in the Kingdom of the West at
                  the Island War in 1967. The arrows were eighteen inch long green
                  stained bamboo garden stakes. There was no fletching and the blunt
                  heads were made of one inch thick foam rubber secured with white
                  first-aid tape and were about one to one and a half inches wide.
                  There was no maximum weight limit for the bows, because the short
                  arrows kept the draw and power down. The archers were not required to
                  wear any face protection. By 1970 the Saunders Bludgeon Tip was
                  discovered in Atenvelt, it was brought back by Duke Henrik of Havn
                  and then adopted by the West. The Saunders Bludgeon Tips were a
                  commercially made three quarter inch wide blunt of soft plastic made
                  for hunting rabbits, squirrels and other small game. This brought
                  about the use of fencing masks, soccer cups and other protective
                  gear. In the East Kingdom combat archery was developing using the
                  blunt created by the Markland Military Militia. These Markland blunts
                  had a two inch diameter head built up from foam around a one inch
                  wood dowel. These were large enough so that they could not pass
                  through the visor slot or bars of a helm and therefore screening was
                  not needed. As the SCA grew, the Eastern and Western areas developed
                  their own styles of blunts and their own conventions of combat. The
                  first SCA wide rules for combat archery were published in 1978. Then
                  in 1985 the rules were revised by the SCA Marshal, Earl Kevin
                  Perigrynne. We now have, just as in heavy tourney and war combat, a
                  comprehensive set of rules that provide for both safety and for
                  conventions of light combat


                  Facts: In a year what do you think your think you spend on archery?

                  Up to 100$

                  100$-200$ <===

                  200$-400$

                  400$+



                  Participation

                  Target Archery <===

                  Combat Archery

                  All Archery



                  Personal Questions:

                  What is your favorite archery style or contest style?

                  I am pretty new to archery. I have gone to a few IKAC Contests just
                  to observe. I will soon get my nerve up to join in... lol...

                  What first attracted you to archery?

                  When I was about 13 years old, I was at summer camp where they had
                  archery and I had alot of fun. At that moment I was addicted!


                  What did you learn from archery that you did not expect?

                  How to make my own arrows and when they break, how to fix them. I
                  have such a great teacher! I have so much more to learn... lol...


                  Please name your Kingdom and list your three favorite archery events:

                  West Kingdom, Principaly of Cynagua, Barony of Fettburg

                  1. Barony of Darkwood Compatation, 2. Spring Coronet, and 3. archery
                  practice on Sundays with my barony. Not necessarly in that
                  order...lol...

                  Ok you get one paragraph, what would you say to some one who is
                  looking at getting into archery to get them excited.

                  Your gonna love it. But be warned, it gets expensive but it's well
                  worth it. Once you get into it, it seriously it becomes addictive...

                  Hope this helps ya... :)

                  Y.I.S.
                  Aine de Lacy
                • ronan mackee
                  Facts: In a year what do you think your think you spend on archery? Up to 100$ 100$-200$
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Facts: In a year what do you think your think you spend on archery?

                    Up to 100$

                    100$-200$ <===

                    200$-400$

                    400$+
                    What is your favorite archery style or contest style?
                    box tourneys or wars

                    What first attracted you to archery?
                    the friendship between archers

                    What did you learn from archery that you did not expect?
                    patience, control and humility thanks to master Leonidas and Daniel of moncief

                    Please name your Kingdom and list your three favorite archery events:

                    Antir
                    archery fest
                    war of oasis
                    gulf war


                    Ronan Mackay
                    red bracer to Daniel of moncielf
                    chief archer to barony of valkinfield


                    Aine de Lacy <misstowtruckdriver@...> wrote: --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Christensen" <rainmagix@...>
                    wrote:

                    General Question: Does anyone know when Combat Archery with Bows
                    started?

                    Combat archery first began in the SCA in the Kingdom of the West at
                    the Island War in 1967. The arrows were eighteen inch long green
                    stained bamboo garden stakes. There was no fletching and the blunt
                    heads were made of one inch thick foam rubber secured with white
                    first-aid tape and were about one to one and a half inches wide.
                    There was no maximum weight limit for the bows, because the short
                    arrows kept the draw and power down. The archers were not required to
                    wear any face protection. By 1970 the Saunders Bludgeon Tip was
                    discovered in Atenvelt, it was brought back by Duke Henrik of Havn
                    and then adopted by the West. The Saunders Bludgeon Tips were a
                    commercially made three quarter inch wide blunt of soft plastic made
                    for hunting rabbits, squirrels and other small game. This brought
                    about the use of fencing masks, soccer cups and other protective
                    gear. In the East Kingdom combat archery was developing using the
                    blunt created by the Markland Military Militia. These Markland blunts
                    had a two inch diameter head built up from foam around a one inch
                    wood dowel. These were large enough so that they could not pass
                    through the visor slot or bars of a helm and therefore screening was
                    not needed. As the SCA grew, the Eastern and Western areas developed
                    their own styles of blunts and their own conventions of combat. The
                    first SCA wide rules for combat archery were published in 1978. Then
                    in 1985 the rules were revised by the SCA Marshal, Earl Kevin
                    Perigrynne. We now have, just as in heavy tourney and war combat, a
                    comprehensive set of rules that provide for both safety and for
                    conventions of light combat

                    Facts: In a year what do you think your think you spend on archery?

                    Up to 100$

                    100$-200$ <===

                    200$-400$

                    400$+

                    Participation

                    Target Archery <===

                    Combat Archery

                    All Archery

                    Personal Questions:

                    What is your favorite archery style or contest style?

                    I am pretty new to archery. I have gone to a few IKAC Contests just
                    to observe. I will soon get my nerve up to join in... lol...

                    What first attracted you to archery?

                    When I was about 13 years old, I was at summer camp where they had
                    archery and I had alot of fun. At that moment I was addicted!

                    What did you learn from archery that you did not expect?

                    How to make my own arrows and when they break, how to fix them. I
                    have such a great teacher! I have so much more to learn... lol...

                    Please name your Kingdom and list your three favorite archery events:

                    West Kingdom, Principaly of Cynagua, Barony of Fettburg

                    1. Barony of Darkwood Compatation, 2. Spring Coronet, and 3. archery
                    practice on Sundays with my barony. Not necessarly in that
                    order...lol...

                    Ok you get one paragraph, what would you say to some one who is
                    looking at getting into archery to get them excited.

                    Your gonna love it. But be warned, it gets expensive but it's well
                    worth it. Once you get into it, it seriously it becomes addictive...

                    Hope this helps ya... :)

                    Y.I.S.
                    Aine de Lacy







                    [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.